IGNORED

What to do with the obsolete tape deck

I am trying to figure out what to do about the old obsolete tape deck. I am thinking of just gutting it and making a little cubby to stick stuff in like my wallet or whatever else I want to put in there. What are some things other people have done with that space? Trying to find something to do with a space in the dash besides having a museum piece. "Oooo looky kids... a tape player, they were the cats meow way back in 80's and early 90's."

I kind of find it funny that they would stick a tape player in something as new as a 2007 considering tape players were pretty much obsolete by that time. Might as well have a 8 track in there lol.

Also if I did remove it how would it affect the radio? Is the system dependent on it like if I removed the tape deck it would make the whole system inoperable?

You can remove it without affecting anything else. Some people have made cubby compartments like you mention. Some have added gauges there.

That's handy to know Don, thanks. I have the Clarion CD already installed, so may look at pulling the tape deck when it warms up to be out in the garage.

I removed mine, ran a 3mm male male line throught the back to the aux plug under the cowling. I have a phone holder on my bars so I can use my phone for nav. just plug the line into the phone and now I have both my music and my nav over the speakers. If you are slow and careful when you take the unit out the door will still work.

• 2 weeks later...

Until I decide what I want to actually do I bought this. At least the old tape deck isn't a total waste of space.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B075JBLGLB/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Should do what needs to be done for the time being. Now I just need to do something about the speakers. They are not the best sounding things in the world.

• 1 month later...

I too finally got around to removing the tape deck. I gutted it and mounted a charger port behind the door. It has a lighter plug and two USB ports and hardwires in. I don't know how much it will be used but I guarantee it will be more than the tape deck. I did find an old Merle Haggard tape laying around and tested the tape deck once, it worked but the wife was screaming before the first song was over.

IMG_1086.jpgIMG_1087.jpgAfter gutting the deck I installed the charge port and re-installed it, the door still works. The mistake I made was in not realizing it has an internal LED that stays on. I had installed an extra fuse box behind the battery and ran a hot wire into the fairing so I could charge the phone without the bike running. Rather than pulling it back out I added a relay that fires from the factory lighter port so it only works with the key on. I routed on charge cable out the back of the box through the fairing and up the bars to plug the phone in while in the cradle. If I had it to do again I'd use a port with an on/off switch or get one without the LED.

While I had it torn down I installed a WOLO horn and finally put on the leather tank bib I won at Don's MD. Weather man says 60's here next week so it's almost time to ride again.

https://www.venturerider.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=114725https://www.venturerider.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=114726After gutting the deck I installed the charge port and re-installed it, the door still works. The mistake I made was in not realizing it has an internal LED that stays on. I had installed an extra fuse box behind the battery and ran a hot wire into the fairing so I could charge the phone without the bike running. Rather than pulling it back out I added a relay that fires from the factory lighter port so it only works with the key on. I routed on charge cable out the back of the box through the fairing and up the bars to plug the phone in while in the cradle. If I had it to do again I'd use a port with an on/off switch or get one without the LED.

While I had it torn down I installed a WOLO horn and finally put on the leather tank bib I won at Don's MD. Weather man says 60's here next week so it's almost time to ride again.

I like that. Want to do something similar to mine. Does the tape deck come out through the front or did you have to split the fairing?. Was it a pain to get out?

I like that. Want to do something similar to mine. Does the tape deck come out through the front or did you have to split the fairing?. Was it a pain to get out?

You have to split the fairing, move the radio out of the way, and pull the cassette deck from the front of the bike. There are instructions in the read only tech library. It takes a little wiggling and prying to get the door past the inner fairing. Just be easy with it, it's not too bad. I wish I'd done all this at once instead of one piece at a time. I've installed the Edsets splitter(Buddy Rich cable), a 12 volt Bluetooth receiver, Amplirider, and now this charger. Now I can answer phone calls, stream music, and use the gps through the bike's sound system while the phone charges in the cradle. It makes it easier for me to get away knowing my kids can reach me if needed and being able to answer customer calls.

Edited by RDawson