IGNORED

Cylinder side covers

OK, I have oil leaks on at least 2 of those covers (The 88 parts catalog, crankcase section, Item 10, P/N 26H-15417-01-00) on the outside and outboard side(s) of the cylinders. They are the covers with the black stripes on them...

I see in the '88 Parts Catalog there are 2 rubber parts per each cover; Item 11, DAMPER, Engine Mount, P/N 26H-15326-00-00 and Item 14, PLUG, P/N 90338-11152-00 (Plug, Special Shape). Well 90338-11152-00 (Plug, Special Shape) can be had ($8.14 EACH thank you! BOHICA!) on Amazon, but "0" results for 26H-15326-00-00.

So, what are we doing to perform a fix for this issue? I am sure I saw a post for this problem sometime in the past but couldn't find it.

I bet we're filling the well cleaned hole with a high temp silicon gasket goo right? If so what type and brand please!!!

I bet we're filling the well cleaned hole with a high temp silicon gasket goo right? If so what type and brand please!!!

NO! Don't do that!

That would run the risk of loose RTV migrating through the cooling system, possibly clogging the radiator or getting entangled in the water pump impeller.

The solution is to shim between the striped cover and the rubber plug. A dime (ten cent piece) has been effective as a shim (at least on the Second Gen, where the leak seems to be more common).

You state that there is an OIL leak emanating from behind the striped covers. There should NOT be any OIL. The rubber plug is holding back coolant from within the the cylinder water jacket.

The "damper" is just that, a cushion or damper for the striped cover, to preload the cover screw and to prevent rattling and loosening of the striped cover.

Edited by Prairiehammer

NO! Don't do that!

That would run the risk of loose RTV migrating through the cooling system, possibly clogging the radiator or getting entangled in the water pump impeller.

The solution is to shim between the striped cover and the rubber plug. A dime (ten cent piece) has been effective as a shim (at least on the Second Gen, where the leak seems to be more common).

You state that there is an OIL leak emanating from behind the striped covers. There should NOT be any OIL. The rubber plug is holding back coolant from within the the cylinder water jacket.

The "damper" is just that, a cushion or damper for the striped cover, to preload the cover screw and to prevent rattling and loosening of the striped cover.

OK... Maybe those streaks of oil was an old spill....I'll monitor the spots as she runs and keep all advised, but I pretty sure you're right.... Thanks my friend! PS There is NO coolant leak at that location, that'sfersure!

Edited by dna9656