IGNORED

Bushtec Road Star with broken Torsion bar, Help

M61A1MECH

Well the repair/re-build is complete, took it out for about 60 mile ride, over rough roads and high speed interstate, so far no issues and the jam nuts are staying put, will monitor those on upcoming trips and keep a set of spares with me just in case. Pics of completed assembly are below, once I have enough miles on this set up to be confident, I will publish a short on how I did it. If I had to do it again, I would order or make the chassis rods at least 1/2" longer (1.5" over stock length) just to get a few more threads.

Nuts are Loktited to the chassis rod and there is a heavy split lock washer between the two nuts, just enough room between the frame member and A-Arm bushings to allow the nylon spacer room to rotate but not move fore and aft ,also not so tight that it is jammed up, still allows allow the A-Arm bushing to rotate on the chassis rod.

P9050086.jpg

P9080090.jpg

P9050088.jpg

P9050089.jpg

P9080094.jpg

P9080095.jpg

P9080098.jpg

P9080099.jpg

Steve you can get "half height" nuts and double nut to nut lock it and skip the washer. http://www.pro-werks.com/partlist/998

Yes I know, I looked at that style when selecting hardware, but wanted the extra strength afforded by the heavy SS nuts and added thread engagement for the Loktite, Nylocks are fine, but by they are intended for one time use, lock washers can be used over and over if needed. Yes I have reused nylocks, but I have also seen them not hold on repeat use, and I am expecting that chassis rod to see a good bit of vibration from the road surface, and thought the heavy nuts, Loktite and lock washers afforded be the best opportunity for long term success, time will tell, I will be carrying an extra set of nuts , including some nylocks, with me when pulling the trailer, just incase I need to make a repair on the road.

I did try drilling one of the spare nuts I had hoping I could lockwire them for added security, but I do not have anything that will drill 316SS, I may see if I can find some predrilled 5/16-18 nuts, maybe Aircraft Spruce has some.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

Resurrecting a year old thread because I just got word from another Goldwing rider that his 2017 Bushtec trailer ate the bushings, unfortunately for him he says the A-arm tube was damaged so he is waiting to see if Bushtec will man up and fix it for him.

So I want to say if you own a Bustec trailer, make sure to check your A-arm ends where they tie to the frame, make sure the bushings are sound.