IGNORED

What happens when a dog catches a motorcycle?

RDawson

Neighborhood dog likes to chase cars and motorcycles, tonight he caught mine. His head/body caught my left leg just at the top of my boot and knocked it back into the wife's foot. My leg is black and swelling pretty fast, hoping nothing broken. Pretty sure his head hit solid on my shin. Wife has a good bruise on her foot. Left a big scuff on the saddlebag. Don't know status of the dog. I'll get a better look at the bike tomorrow to see if there's any damage beyond a scuff.

Drive your car down the road and if the dog comes out running at you just keep at a speed that is MAX speed for the dog, then slowly edge your car towards a mail box running the dog lickity split into the mail box.. They seem to quit running after vehicles when you do this..ask me how I know..

Drive your car down the road and if the dog comes out running at you just keep at a speed that is MAX speed for the dog, then slowly edge your car towards a mail box running the dog lickity split into the mail box.. They seem to quit running after vehicles when you do this..ask me how I know..

Good idea but mailboxes on the wrong side of the road. Think I'm gonna call animal control. Still not sure if I'm hurt or not, sore leg and hip. Probably just just slight pulls up the leg and hip. Bike still has some small scuffs, most cleaned off with pledge. :mad::mad::mad:

We had that problem in our neighborhood. I was on the bike and my son was following me in his truck. The dog took off after me and missed but turned into the path of the truck. That was the end of the dog. The people that owned the dog got mad at him and called the cops but could not do anything about it. They got a fine for letting the dog run loose.

If you want to see a dog head for the side, just aim your bike right for it. They come tearing out, but if you just swerve a little and go right for them, they head for home asap. No big deal. Never had to hit one yet.

zag

If you want to see a dog head for the side, just aim your bike right for it. They come tearing out, but if you just swerve a little and go right for them, they head for home asap. No big deal. Never had to hit one yet.

zag

This one usually runs to the side of the road and barks. Last night he ran right into the side of the bike and my leg. I usually don't react at all to him. I had no idea he was on me until my leg folded. After dark and he's black.

Not that this suggestion would of helped you at all, but I've been told that the best way to get rid of a chasing dog is to go slow until it matches your speed, and then twist the throttle. If you keep picking up speed the dog will think that it has you, once it thinks that it has you then you pull away and it gives up,,, for them, there is always a 'next time'

With putting 200,000+ miles on a motorcycle, I have had a few dog encounters. When I was about 14 on my 125 Ducati, I was going into a right hand curve and a dog ran right into me from behind a hedge row. I was doubling a buddy and we both got bad road rash. I don't know what happened to the dog, but I never saw it again. Later on I had a Yamaha 250 DT1 trail bike and had a neighbor with a nasty pit bull type dog. One day I had enough and used a dish detergent plastic bottle with half water and half ammonia and when he came at me I filled his face. After that, if he heard my bike, he ran the other way. Another was on a rural road that had a slow 90 degree turn. There was a house there and with it almost dark, as I was turning, a big dog ran right up to my leg growling and barking. I went about a 1/4 mile down the road and did a U-turn and as I was coming back, here he comes again. This time I cut toward him and hit my air horns. He immediately turn and ran.... right into a corner post at a dead run. That was the last time I saw him also.

If you have injuries from hitting a dog, you need to take care of it with the owner, even if is just to keep them from having other dogs run loose to hurt someone else. Also, any damages or injuries may go against his property insurance.

Randy

Edited by Venturous Randy

A slow ride by with pepper spray could change his attitude about chasing vehicles. It's worked for me on a bicycle before.

I agree that the safety of the rider is foremost in this situation, but the animal is not at fault here. the dog's owner should be who takes a faceful of pepper spray, not the pooch. Call the cops/animal control, whatever, but as an animal lover, I hope we don't take it out on the dog. the responsibility to control your animal falls with the owner.

I agree that the safety of the rider is foremost in this situation, but the animal is not at fault here. the dog's owner should be who takes a faceful of pepper spray, not the pooch. Call the cops/animal control, whatever, but as an animal lover, I hope we don't take it out on the dog. the responsibility to control your animal falls with the owner.

That is a nice sentiment but lets not forget some dogs are jerks and need to learn a lesson the only way they can, the hard way!!

Unfortunately if the owner is not present and the dog is attacking, I have no choice but to teach the dog some manners. I have been known to teach a dog proper behavior while near me even in the presence of the owner. Most owners are amazed that their dog will suddenly start to act properly.

It is amazing how many people with dogs have no clue on how to train or handle a dog.

The dog is still there but not chasing today. Maybe learned something? Animal control notified. Good news is X-ray shows nothing broken or out of place-bad news is I now have an appt for osteoarthritis. Knew my joints weren't great but had no idea of the arthritis. Depending on severity osteoarthritis is Latin for career killer for ladder guys like me. I liked it better when I didn't know, ignorance is bliss right?

He obviously isn't controlling the dog so I'll take spraying the dog in a heartbeat compared to committing a felony. A dog comes after me they are going to get the pepper or worse with no regrets. Yes, I am a dog owner and I'd hope someone does that to mine if he chases a vehicle.

As far as the pit bull type dog that came after me, I had already confronted the owner a couple times and they ignored me. This dog also caught a neighborhood cat out in the road and tore it all to pieces. Dog owner did not care about that either. The dog needed to be put down or put up somewhere, but the owner let it run loose.

At the time we did not animal control as we do now. This was in the mid 70's.

Randy

Years ago , I had this little mutt that weighed about 6 lbs soaking wet that always tried to catch me on my bike. Because of his little legs he never could...I felt sorry for him one day and let him catch me by slowing down and then stopping. Funniest thing I've ever seen...once he caught me he didn't know what to do with me...He just starred up at me with that look of.... OH **** WHAT DO I DO NOW ? I sat there for a minute until he decided I was to big to drag home...most pathetic look on this little ****s face...It was priceless and he never chased me again...he was no threat to me and never chased my bike again because he knew he would catch me...lol I wouldn't do this to an aggressive dog though.....

After playing phone tag a couple days I finally got to talk with animal warden today. We're a small town so we only have one. I believe the issue won't recur, she was going after the dogs. Owners just tore down and old ratty trailer on the place so nobody is living there besides the dogs. I doubt there's any insurance on the place so I just ate the medical bills and moving on. I'll take the saddlebag off and take it to my car guy soon, he can probably buff it out. Cool thing here is our town was known as the used car capital of the world before carfax and odometer cutting sent a lot of dealers to jail, so I can get about anything that can be done with paint fixed here fairly cheap.