Hello all,

Wow, these bikes are amazing, they run so well on 3 cylinders, you hardly know one is fouled. It seems that I keep fouling one of my plugs, when I take it out it is wet, then I put a new one in and it runs real well for a while.

I have gotten pretty good at touching the exhaust pipes shortly after start up to see if they are all warm.

So what is the most likely source of this fouling do you think?

D

Hello all,

Wow, these bikes are amazing, they run so well on 3 cylinders, you hardly know one is fouled. It seems that I keep fouling one of my plugs, when I take it out it is wet, then I put a new one in and it runs real well for a while.

I have gotten pretty good at touching the exhaust pipes shortly after start up to see if they are all warm.

So what is the most likely source of this fouling do you think?

D

Many times one of the slides that actuate the enrichment circuit gets sticky - the cable operates all 4 of them but if one (or more) sticks you will get the problem you described. Suggest pulling the enrichment slide from the affected carb and clean it up with a stiff brush and gasoline - NOT spray carb cleaner! Actually if this is what you find, I'd clean up all 4 while you are there. Also the slide could be mis-adjusted, I seem to remember a set screw and some room to play with how much each carb enriches....haven't been in there in a long time so bear with me if I'm wrong....

Another possibility is that the diaphragm in that one carb is shredded - though this is more common in VMax engines due to the sharper cam profiles.

:080402gudl_prv:

Ok, I'll answer all of you.

Yammer Dan

It is the right rear cylinder

BobbyDuck

I assume you are talking about what i consider to be the choke on these, granted we don't choke the air we enrich the fuel. If that is what you are a talking about I will check, but I have completely redone these carbs. before I did that some of those were totally locked up. I will check them tomorrow.

Sqeeze,

I don't think the floats are adjusted wrong, I adjusted them whe I redid the carbs, but...

As for a week coil, I will have to do some reading and see if I can further diagnose.

Randya

Put new diaphrams in when I redid the carbs, so I hope thats not it.

Thanks for you input though, update to follow

D

Well, this morning I put a Brand new plug in and decided to go for a little ride.

So, I went to Fort Collins and back home 280 mile round trip. I don't think the plug fouled and it seems to have run well.

I am wondering if the little short trips in the relatively cool weather with the choke on would have been a factor in fouling plugs, and when it is warmer and i don't have the choke on so much, and when I can do more lengthy trips that may solve the issue?

D

I am wondering if the little short trips in the relatively cool weather with the choke on would have been a factor in fouling plugs, and when it is warmer and i don't have the choke on so much, and when I can do more lengthy trips that may solve the issue?

D

Yes this could be it. Turn the choke off as soon as possible, I try to turn it off as soon as I start down the road.

Another potential problem is a weak battery, if it does not have a full charge or is getting old it can foul plugs quickly, and it will take a long hard run to clean them up.

PS when it is firing on only three cylinders, you may not notice a lack of power but you should notice a substantial drop in gas mileage.

Brad

Your choke shouldn't be on that long, a minute or maybe two, max.

Jeremy

Your choke shouldn't be on that long, a minute or maybe two, max.

Jeremy

Yeah that's about right, I get it down as soon as possible.

I live on a gravel road so I am not able to wind it out till I get to the blacktop, or I could put the choke down sooner

D

• 5 months later...