IGNORED

1998 Lincoln Continental Help

GolfVenture

I have a 1998 Lincoln Continental V-Tech 32 Valve V8.

Want to put as little $ as possible in it.

Need creative ideas on fixing or a work around for the following issues.

First Both banks of fuses (Engine & Inside) all have been checked out "good" with a Volt Meter

1) Dash lights do not work (But All gages work).

2) No Heat (Fan Blows good, Back flushed the header core-no junk and water flows freely.

Let engine idle about 30 minutes. Thought if the thermostat was stuck closed then the engine would heat up past the normal range fairly quickly.

If the thermostat was stuck open then with the car not moving the engine would eventually heat past the normal range.

In both cases the engine temperture stayed at normal range.

3) Rear Air shocks goes flat after engine is off for a few hours. Pumps up fine but takes a long time.

Once inflated and keeps driving the air shocks are fine.

I have a 1998 Lincoln Continental V-Tech 32 Valve V8.

Want to put as little $ as possible in it.

Need creative ideas on fixing or a work around for the following issues.

First Both banks of fuses (Engine & Inside) all have been checked out "good" with a Volt Meter

1) Dash lights do not work (But All gages work).

2) No Heat (Fan Blows good, Back flushed the header core-no junk and water flows freely.

Let engine idle about 30 minutes. Thought if the thermostat was stuck closed then the engine would heat up past the normal range fairly quickly.

If the thermostat was stuck open then with the car not moving the engine would eventually heat past the normal range.

In both cases the engine temperture stayed at normal range.

First question sounds like you have a faulty illumination switch, the second problem sounds like the vent actuator is not working to switch it from hot to cold, how is your ac? if there is a vacuum leak the actuator wont open./switch over. Or it could just be stuck, I would check for being stuck turn your knob from cold to hot and see if you hear a hiss like and a small thud. if not I would start there. sounds like your air shocks are duds or the lines going to them may be leaking.

I am a member of several lincoln forums also as it is my car of choice. I currently drive a 96 MK8. First the dash lights are powered thru the headlight switch and it is a know weak point check rock auto and eBay can be had for under $50.00 sometimes $25.00. the heat issue is what is called a BLEND DOOR ACTUATOR issue and most 97 and up lincolns experience this. the glen door that diverts the air over the heater core is stuck in the A/C or no heat position. Do a google search for lincoln blend door and you'll find a ton of fixes, its cheap but labor intensive. The air bag leak is also a common problem, there are some aftermarket pumps that may give you a quicker lift, but most of us simple pull the rear bags and convert to coil over rear springs (ARNOT SUSPENSION)

Good luck with the Connie..

Yep, I drove a 95 Mark VIII Lincoln for 7 years, loved that car! The air bags are a problem. You can buy aftermarket air bags or spring replacements. And the blend door like was previously posted is an common issue. No cheap fixes I suppose but the springs are cheaper than the air bags.

Crown vic of same vintage rear coil springs should work. Probably pick up a pair for under $50 from salvage yard. Other comments on dash and heat sound spot on. The blend door is a dash pull if I'm not mistaken. Ford buried them things.

Crown vic of same vintage rear coil springs should work. Probably pick up a pair for under $50 from salvage yard. Other comments on dash and heat sound spot on. The blend door is a dash pull if I'm not mistaken. Ford buried them things.

I doubt the Crown Vic springs would work because the continental is FWD and he CV is RWD.

Just to add my $0.02 here.

I have no specific knowledge of the Lincoln Continental, but the OP's synopsis of what would happen with an open thermostat is dead wrong.

A thermostat, stuck open, would not allow any coolant to flow to the heater core and the engine would take a very long time to come up to operating temperature. During winter weather, it might never get to 195deg.

The heat issue could very well be a bad T-Stat. Then again, it could be the blend door actuator.:confused:

On the coolant issue kind of easy. Start car let run a little while, feel the radiator hoses. When they start to get warm by radiator move back to firewall and find the heater hoses. Fell them if they are getting warm then you have flow and issue is with blend door.

On the coolant issue kind of easy. Start car let run a little while, feel the radiator hoses. When they start to get warm by radiator move back to firewall and find the heater hoses. Fell them if they are getting warm then you have flow and issue is with blend door.

Just tested the inlet and outlet heater core hoses and they both heat up fine.

Also the Air conditioner does not blow cold air.

I'm pretty sure it is the blend door.

Anyone know of a good reasonable costing 12 volt car heater to defrost an icy windshield?

Just tested the inlet and outlet heater core hoses and they both heat up fine.

Also the Air conditioner does not blow cold air.

I'm pretty sure it is the blend door.

Anyone know of a good reasonable costing 12 volt car heater to defrost an icy windshield?

check camping world for a 12 volt hair dryer!