IGNORED

Carb slides not moving

So I just pulled the carbs of the bike today, cleaned them out and returned them back to the bike. When pulling them apart, I noticed that the rubber diaphragm on the carb slide was loose and spinning on the slide. Noticing that the metal insert was pulled out a bit, I pushed it back in, tightening the rubber again as it should be. Putting the carbs back together I noticed that the slides were rather tight. They would not drop right in as I'm used to on other bikes. I took a green scotch brite pad and polished the interior of the carb and wiped clean. This seems to do better and once all together the slide would go up and down. I wasn't thrilled will how it when together but it seemed like it would work. Got the bike running and two of the four slides stopped moving all together. While pulling the carbs, I notice that the boots have a tiny crack so theres that issues now but I believe the slide should not be affected by the small vacuum leak from the boots. Any one ever have this issue? Oil on the slide did not seem to help. I hope to post a video of it soon. Where should I get boots from?

So I just went back out to the garage because I was wondering if maybe I put the vent hole on the slide backwards (if it matters). So I found that the slide and diaphragm came apart in the carb which Ive never seen before. While trying to squeeze it back together, it shattered in my hand. Not happy. So I pulled apart the other one that was not working and found it to be loose as well. Even after squeezing it back together I could still spin the diaphragm around. Does anyone have two slides laying around?

Sorry I guess I was not clear. Its the intake boots that are cracked. But I appreciate the effort. Im shocked at the cost of the slides $$$$$$$

I have several Carb slide, as to condition and such not 100% but I will check them I know 2 need diaphragms

Great. My boots are fine (i think). I really need the plastic part because the is what shattered. I have never swapped the rubber boot on the slides before but I am assuming its straight forward. Especially now the I have one in pieces in front of me.

Sorry I guess I was not clear. Its the intake boots that are cracked. But I appreciate the effort. Im shocked at the cost of the slides $$$$$$$

from Yamaha they are over a hundred each.

the carb boots, carb holders, or as Yamaha calls them, (Joint, carburetor) are not available new. ebay is your friend.

part number 26H-13586-00-00 I think

Here is a place selling replacement slides http://www.newmotorcycleparts.net/fuel_system_parts/misc_carb_parts.html still not cheap but $85 a pop.

And on ebay there are these.. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Yamaha-Carburetor-Slide-Piston-Valve-Rubber-Diaphragm-V-Max-VMax-Replacement/311897363295?fits=Make%3AYamaha&hash=item489e88135f%3Ag%3AqkAAAOSw7ZRZjcLz%3Asc%3AUSPSFirstClass%2155431%21US%21-1&_sacat=0&_nkw=yamaha+diaphragms&_from=R40&rt=nc&_trksid=m570.l1313

You can also get replace diaphragms from a few different sources too..

http://jbmindustries.com/Yamaha650.html

https://www.siriusconinc.com/search_result.php?make=2&model=Venture%20Royale&part=All&partno=&x=56&y=16&search=search&start=25

The Sirius Consolidated Inc was offering the group a special price but I am not sure if that is still in effect and they have a lot of aftermarket replacement parts for the bikes.

Good luck..

Rick F.

Right now there two sets of carbs on ebay for about $175.00 delivered.

There is also a listing for after market slides with diaphragms for $82.50 ea. delivered. I would warn against using Chinese after market parts but these are from Japan, according to the seller and are shipped from Ohio.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Yamaha-90-00-Virago-535-83-84-Venture-83-85-Royale-Carb-Slide-Diaphragm-007-775/312156628723?fits=Year%3A1984%7CMake%3AYamaha%7CModel%3AVenture&hash=item48adfc26f3%3Ag%3AtQcAAOSwDZJbHAeJ&_sacat=0&_nkw=1984+yamaha+venture+carb&_from=R40&rt=nc&_trksid=p2380057.m570.l1313.TR10.TRC0.A0.H0.X1984+yamaha+venture+carb.TRS0

I also found an after market enricher rebuild set for under $50.00.

I haven't used any of these parts but I did lean a hard lesson about Chinese gaskets last year.

Edited by luvmy40
typo

I have sent questions to both the sellers of the air cut off diaphragms that I found and the slide/diaphragm that Tiresmoking linked to to ask what the country of origin is. Neither list it in the auction, so odds are they are Chinese.

If they are Chinese, I would not take the chance at any price. The Chicom cam cover gaskets that "saved" me $20.00 over the OEM gaskets cost me double that in oil and labor to replace them with OEM parts when they leaked everywhere.

Edited by luvmy40
typo

Great. My boots are fine (i think). I really need the plastic part because the is what shattered. I have never swapped the rubber boot on the slides before but I am assuming its straight forward. Especially now the I have one in pieces in front of me.

Not sure I follow but, if per chance you are referring to the intake pipes below the carbs? You can check and see if they leak by placing your palm over the port covering each one at a time, then crank the engine over just a couple of times. Each intake pipe should want to pull or suck firmly down the palm and hold till the vacuum dissipates. If so then the intakes are doing there job, if not then you will need to inspect further.

As for the slides they ware out, as do the jet needles and jets.

"Sorry I guess I was not clear. Its the intake boots that are cracked. But I appreciate the effort. Im shocked at the cost of the slides $$$$$$$"

If your slides were not moving or hard to move and the diaphragms were loose and the steel insert was part-way out, I would suggest that you have cracked slides. The crack are not that hard to miss, more difficult to see than you would think, but once cracked even any glue you could put in the crack to bond it back together would make it too large to properly slide in the bore. Only thing to do is to replace them.

Still have a little bit of tweaking to do but looks like it might work.

https://www.venturerider.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=114082

So for the record/ that is completely wrong/ but looks very well accomplished! Now I'm not suggesting they'll stay together in symphony but,,, If you had painted them before taking the pic,, would be hard pressed to see the repair!

Not bad rookie, welcome to the club Rod.

Patch