IGNORED

Whining noise..

Not gonna ask about it. I have spent MANY hours researching about it to no avail.

My question is... Who has the best oil, weight and brand, to help quiet some of it? Mine has become quite loud and I used Amsoil. I have tried Castrol, Rotella T6 and nothing seems to help. We just got back from a 3000 mile trip and although the bike performed flawlessly pulling a 450 pound trailer in the hills of Arkansas, I was disappointed in how loud the whining & chirping is. This go round I used Amsoil as I had in the past. Yamalube will probably be my next go round. I don't expect it to go away. It's the nature of MY beast but I wouldn't mind it being more quiet. Even the wife said she heard it this time. I know I have read that it could even be the windshield I use but it's the same one I have always had. Maybe it's just the Temps we had in Arkansas.... 92+. Just looking for ideas and suggestions. I have even heard about some Motorkote additive that some say help. Thanks

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Edited by cwhite123174

In hot weather maybe try 20w50 and in a dino oil. Dino oil will stick to engine parts without adding something to it to make it tacky from what I have read. My 07 owner's manual recommends 10w30 from 10 degrees up to over 90 and 20w40 for 40 degrees up to about 120 degrees.

so, have you installed the "I" basket yet?

not much you can do in the way of different oil to reduce that whine/chirp ... at least for me it didn't and even going to the "I" basket ... while it wasn't as bad, it was still annoying.

NO on the "I" basket. I had just read that some are able to quiet it with some different types of oil. I keep reading about the horror stories of getting the correct "I" basket. Part numbers and all. Then I have read as you said, it didn't help much.

Higher temps you might try the V-twin oils 20w50. It may help. Dont know about any additives that will help and not make clutch slip. My thoughts on the "I" basket fix is, essentially it takes 2 gears to make the trans work. Engine turns clutch basket say and a gear is attached to it. But it has to drive a gear on transmission, if you only change the clutch basket your only looking at 1/2 the problem.

Honestly, my thoughts for my last oil change were the same as yours are now. I used VTwin Amsoil. I think it may have been worse actually. I think I am going to try Dino oil again. I don't think it shifted as smooth as it did with the Amsoil but I don't recall it being as loud. Believe me..

I know this is a common issue with RSV and the Star platform in general. I can't compare mine to anyone else BUT I know I get alot of compliments on my bike and I dont like the whine... When I pull away. Just a little embarrassing at times I guess.

Higher temps you might try the V-twin oils 20w50. It may help. Dont know about any additives that will help and not make clutch slip. My thoughts on the "I" basket fix is, essentially it takes 2 gears to make the trans work. Engine turns clutch basket say and a gear is attached to it. But it has to drive a gear on transmission, if you only change the clutch basket your only looking at 1/2 the problem.

Not gonna ask about it. I have spent MANY hours researching about it to no avail.

My question is... Who has the best oil, weight and brand, to help quiet some of it? Mine has become quite loud and I used Amsoil. I have tried Castrol, Rotella T6 and nothing seems to help. We just got back from a 3000 mile trip and although the bike performed flawlessly pulling a 450 pound trailer in the hills of Arkansas, I was disappointed in how loud the whining & chirping is. This go round I used Amsoil as I had in the past. Yamalube will probably be my next go round. I don't expect it to go away. It's the nature of MY beast but I wouldn't mind it being more quiet. Even the wife said she heard it this time. I know I have read that it could even be the windshield I use but it's the same one I have always had. Maybe it's just the Temps we had in Arkansas.... 92+. Just looking for ideas and suggestions. I have even heard about some Motorkote additive that some say help. Thanks

What part of Arkansas? Eureka Springs by chance, very beautiful road there. My bike when it was crazy warm it has the clutch Whine too. It is always there but mine comes across more in the First and Second Gear

We did 1277 miles on Arkansas back roads over the last week. We did almost all the well known roads. Eureka Springs was very nice! My favorite was the 103 from Clarksville up to Oark Cafe, (good food!) very scenic! Pig Trail I think I was expecting more. Peel Ferry was pretty nice BUT the 125 on the other side of Peel and up to Missouri through the Mark Twain Forest was a great ride! From beginning to end! Scenic Highway 7 was also very nice from Jasper to Harrison along the Arkansas Grand Canyon but we were in rain for most of that. Got a flat tire, luckily it went flat at the hotel.

Edited by cwhite123174

I tried MotorKote in my '06 ... didn't cause any slippage of the clutch and had no adverse effect but didn't do much to reduce the whine.

As for "1/2 the problem" ... unfortunately changing the primary gear on the crank would be a major job I'd guess but even with that, to try and get the two of them (primary gear and clutch basket) to mate properly is as much of a crap shoot as trying to mate just the basket with the existing primary. You can't get them as a matching set as far as I know. It is those two gears that cause the whine/chirp.

I tried MotorKote in my '06 ... didn't cause any slippage of the clutch and had no adverse effect but didn't do much to reduce the whine.

As for "1/2 the problem" ... unfortunately changing the primary gear on the crank would be a major job I'd guess but even with that, to try and get the two of them (primary gear and clutch basket) to mate properly is as much of a crap shoot as trying to mate just the basket with the existing primary. You can't get them as a matching set as far as I know. It is those two gears that cause the whine/chirp.

Agreed. It isn't worth all that. If I could just quiet it down a bit... That would passify me. I turn my radio up when it gets too annoying but then I worry about others hearing it. I understand all bikes, all models have there own "sounds". I just don't get why mine has gotten worse. That's why I lean towards the oil being the culprit. I put the Barnett Clutch in last year.

Freebird mentioned that he swapped baskets with another bike and the whine followed the basket.

There are two options to fix the whine. "i" basket is a sure thing. Feeding oil into the area around the basket was another option but I've only heard of one person doing it.

Using a different oil doesn't "fix" the whine.

If you don't want to take a chance on ordering a clutch basket and getting something other than an "i" basket...buy a 2009 to 2013 RSV. I think the i-basket was used in the 2009's. Seems to only be the 2008's and older that whine (bike, not owners...well, some owners too)

Freebird mentioned that he swapped baskets with another bike and the whine followed the basket.

There are two options to fix the whine. "i" basket is a sure thing. Feeding oil into the area around the basket was another option but I've only heard of one person doing it.

Using a different oil doesn't "fix" the whine.

If you don't want to take a chance on ordering a clutch basket and getting something other than an "i" basket...buy a 2009 to 2013 RSV. I think the i-basket was used in the 2009's. Seems to only be the 2008's and older that whine (bike, not owners...well, some owners too)

I get what your saying... I really do but why would it be louder since this most recent oil change before our trip? I used VTwin Amsoil, which is 20w50. I was just curious if someone has had better luck with an oil to quiet it down. I don't expect to get rid of it. Just quiet it. Maybe go back to Dino oil?

Not saying the gear sets would be "matched" necessarily, but both would be new or 0 wear and start out with new facing. I would look up part number for say a 2014 RSV basket and order that one. I would seriously doubt they have any "old" baskets in stock. chances are a dealer dont stock those things anyways, they drop ship from a warehouse somewhere. So here's another thought, supposedly the RSV motor is the same as the V-Max. Order a V Max basket.

Not saying the gear sets would be "matched" necessarily, but both would be new or 0 wear and start out with new facing. I would look up part number for say a 2014 RSV basket and order that one. I would seriously doubt they have any "old" baskets in stock. chances are a dealer dont stock those things anyways, they drop ship from a warehouse somewhere. So here's another thought, supposedly the RSV motor is the same as the V-Max. Order a V Max basket.

Partzilla lists the same part # basket from 99 to 13. 26H-16150-10-00 They told me that if I ordered one it would come from Japan. They also told me that part #4XY-16150-09-00 did not supersede the 26H part#. When the Vmax was redesigned in 2009, it had an entirely different engine, 65 degrees V, slipper clutch. I doubt if any of the parts interchange. If you google the part # that Freebird posted, 4XY-16150-09-00, Bike Bandit will pop up. I called them and they said the 4XY # superseded the 26H part #. I suspect those are the only two available baskets, but who knows for sure? Perhaps the 4XY part is the only one available?

I know from the automotive part side, once a manufacture has a superseded part number thats all they carry or produce. So if say they changed the part# and design in 2009 I think someone said, then thats all they have more than likely.

That's exactly right. Nobody knows if the current part number is an I basket or not. I would have already ordered one if I knew that is what I would get. I've read some reports that the only way to get an I basket if for a dealer to call Yamaha support and specifically order it.

That's exactly right. Nobody knows if the current part number is an I basket or not. I would have already ordered one if I knew that is what I would get. I've read some reports that the only way to get an I basket if for a dealer to call Yamaha support and specifically order it.
Yeah.. Thats what I thought.

Just a thought here. I noticed that the wine on my 06 venture i had, got much worse if you were running the intercom with the passenger. The mics picks the wine up and the higher the intercom is turned up the louder it gets. Just take you bike out if you were using the intercom and turn it off the noise almost goes away. I ran my intercom as low as I could to just here the better half behind.

Just my thought and something to think about. I traveled all across the USA and Canada on my 06 and had the I basket install and it did get better at highway speed but still had it at low speeds. per the comments from the factory rep that put the I basket in mine he stated that the wine will always be there but he could move it with different baskets so I told him I did not want mine to wine at highway speed and he did get 90 % of it gone from 55 to 75 MPH but moved it to below 50 but then you can change gears to make it better.

Just my 2 cents

Good luck