IGNORED

Oil Capacity

--

I did my first oil change the other day (the dealer did the very first one). The manual says to put 2 qts. in the crankcase and 3+ in the reservoir if you change the filter. I couldn't get a reading with that amount and put in about one more quart. I checked the reservoir level when the oil was real hot and there was still an inch or more space below the cap so I don't think there's any harm in throwing it out. I have no leaks anywhere.

I think in the future I will be using a flat 2 qts. in the crank and 4 qts. in the reservoir. Comes out even and although over the recommended amount, should be just right.

Anybody else have experience with that?

--

• Like 1

--

I did my first oil change the other day (the dealer did the very first one). The manual says to put 2 qts. in the crankcase and 3+ in the reservoir if you change the filter. I couldn't get a reading with that amount and put in about one more quart. I checked the reservoir level when the oil was real hot and there was still an inch or more space below the cap so I don't think there's any harm in throwing it out. I have no leaks anywhere.

I think in the future I will be using a flat 2 qts. in the crank and 4 qts. in the reservoir. Comes out even and although over the recommended amount, should be just right.

Anybody else have experience with that?

--

I just did the same thing. It took 5.6 qt to bring it up halfway on the stick. With 5.2 it did not touch the stick.

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...

--

This is absolutely crazy in my opinion. To have to run an engine to find out if there is oil in it? Then you have to hold it upright while checking? I like checking it when it's cold and on the kickstand because then it's always the same temp, not dependent on whether its been run for two minutes, or two hours. When its hot it changes volume depending. If the 'open area' above the oil level in the tank can vary between 4" and 1/2", then what difference should that make? The engine block area is only going to suck in the amount it needs. Wouldn't it run fine even if there was only a half quart in the bottom of the reservoir? (Not considering any cooling time that might come about while in the tank.) It doesn't pull in the oil from the top of the tank. Am I not seeing something here?

Seems to me that once you know the amount you need to fill, say with a filter, then you should be good to go every time if you put that amount in. If you have to add a little to make your quarts come out right, so what? I hate trying to figure when I'm at .6 of a quart.

Along those lines, so what if the oil level ever did drop a quart or even two if you burned some. It would be in the reservoir where there are four quarts just setting there. I say that but never have had a bike that used oil enough to add between changes.

--

--

This is absolutely crazy in my opinion. To have to run an engine to find out if there is oil in it? Then you have to hold it upright while checking? I like checking it when it's cold and on the kickstand because then it's always the same temp, not dependent on whether its been run for two minutes, or two hours. When its hot it changes volume depending. If the 'open area' above the oil level in the tank can vary between 4" and 1/2", then what difference should that make? The engine block area is only going to suck in the amount it needs. Wouldn't it run fine even if there was only a half quart in the bottom of the reservoir? (Not considering any cooling time that might come about while in the tank.) It doesn't pull in the oil from the top of the tank. Am I not seeing something here?

Seems to me that once you know the amount you need to fill, say with a filter, then you should be good to go every time if you put that amount in. If you have to add a little to make your quarts come out right, so what? I hate trying to figure when I'm at .6 of a quart.

Along those lines, so what if the oil level ever did drop a quart or even two if you burned some. It would be in the reservoir where there are four quarts just setting there. I say that but never have had a bike that used oil enough to add between changes.

--

Edited by American