IGNORED

Front forks wobble

Hi, I've not had a chance to ride this 87 standard too much since buying it this spring. I rode a few times before checking my tire pressure and only then because slow turns gave me a feeling like the front tire wasnt true. The front was showing some cupping and when I checked it only had 15 pounds pressure. This week a close friend came to visit, we were riding a back road about 55 mph when I guess for the first time I let go of the handle bars with both hands and immediately got a sever front end wobble. With my friends help I was able to put it on the center stand and checked for any looseness and didnt find anything. It only does it when I let got the handle bars but its instant. I suspect the tire cupping is the cause but too poor to change it just because it has some cupping if thats not the issue. Im sure this has come up before but a searh didn't help me. What do you guys think.

Mine never wobbled, but if I let go the bars it makes a hard left turn, regardless of side to side CG, for aft CG wind direction or road camber.

When my steering bearings were worn there was a slight wobble all the time. It does not take much looseness for the head to be to loose. With the front wheel off the ground flip the steering against the stops, there should be a bit of resistance, if it moves very freely tighten up the bearing a bit. Once you get the tightness correct then you can turn the steering from side to side slowly to feel if there is an indent, usually near center. if there is any detent then your bearings are shot and need to be replaced. You can easily have bad bearings and not feel any looseness or movement shaking the forks.

Oh ya, You are not supposed to let go of the handlebars.......:whistling:

I rode a few times before checking my tire pressure and only then because slow turns gave me a feeling like the front tire wasnt true. The front was showing some cupping and when I checked it only had 15 pounds pressure.
So what pressure did you put in the front tire? Personally, I prefer to run both front and back tires at 40 lbs.

This week a close friend came to visit, we were riding a back road about 55 mph when I guess for the first time I let go of the handle bars with both hands and immediately got a sever front end wobble. With my friends help I was able to put it on the center stand and checked for any looseness and didnt find anything. It only does it when I let got the handle bars but its instant. I suspect the tire cupping is the cause but too poor to change it just because it has some cupping if thats not the issue. Im sure this has come up before but a searh didn't help me. What do you guys think.
Cupping could be the cause or at least a contributing factor. Unless the cupping is really bad just live with it. Keeping the pressure up to 40 will allow the tire to wear off the high spots.

I have always ran my tires at 36 lbs.
Up to you, 36 lbs is too soft on my 89 and it is noticeable when doing slow speed maneuvers. Despite the fact that I have on occasion failed to keep the pressure at 40, I have never had cupping on any of my Ventures tires. If you want to save your tire, pump it up.

I have always ran my tires at 36 lbs.

Up to you, 36 lbs is too soft on my 89 and it is noticeable when doing slow speed maneuvers. Despite the fact that I have on occasion failed to keep the pressure at 40, I have never had cupping on any of my Ventures tires. If you want to save your tire, pump it up.

Just my experience, but on my '83 I have found that I get the best results from running 36lbs rear and 38lbs front. I have no idea if that is due to riding style or if it is the difference between an 83 to 89 or even the tires I use. Just my :2cents:

Just my experience, but on my '83 I have found that I get the best results from running 36lbs rear and 38lbs front. I have no idea if that is due to riding style or if it is the difference between an 83 to 89 or even the tires I use. Just my :2cents:
In this case there is no difference between the 83 and 89 except for possibly the tires. One thing is certain, if tires are cupping then they are too soft. I've been running Dunlop Elites @ 40 lbs exclusively since getting my Venture in '09 and regularly get around 20,000 miles and have never had any cupping.

Mine never wobbled, but if I let go the bars it makes a hard left turn, regardless of side to side CG, for aft CG wind direction or road camber.

When my steering bearings were worn there was a slight wobble all the time. It does not take much looseness for the head to be to loose. With the front wheel off the ground flip the steering against the stops, there should be a bit of resistance, if it moves very freely tighten up the bearing a bit. Once you get the tightness correct then you can turn the steering from side to side slowly to feel if there is an indent, usually near center. if there is any detent then your bearings are shot and need to be replaced. You can easily have bad bearings and not feel any looseness or movement shaking the forks.

Oh ya, You are not supposed to let go of the handlebars.......:whistling:

Mine does the same. When I let go of the handlebars it wants to turn left. Was the steering bearings the issue for you? Is there a special tool required to tighten the bearing?

The new steering bearings did noting for the pull to the left. They do make a special tool for adjusting the bearings but if you are creative you could do it without the special tool.

Were you able to solve the problem or is it something you just live with?

In this case there is no difference between the 83 and 89 except for possibly the tires.

Not to put too fine a point on this, but there IS a difference between the 1983 front wheel and the 1989 front wheel. I don't believe it is relevant to the issue, but the 1983 front wheel/rim is narrower (2.15 inches) than all subsequent years (2.50 inches).

:big-grin-emoticon: