IGNORED

Ever tried to replace a car from your past?

Freebird

Ahh those old Chevelles, I can not even guess how many of those I destroyed back when I was racing stock cars. We were constantly on the hunt for parts cars. We had it down to where we could strip one in an afternoon. We kept all the sheet metal for use on the stock car, and the engine and trans if they were still functional. We then sold the engine and trans usually for enough to pay for the car and junked the rest.

The one from my past that I would love to still have was a 72 AMC Sportabout. It was red with a wite stripe similar to what was on the Starsky and Hutch Torino. I found out after I sold it that it was an incredibly rare test car. It had an experimental High performance version of the 258 straight 6. I have no idea what the ratings were but with the 3 speed manual it could break the tires loose while cursing on the interstate and just stomping the gas. It was stolen about a month after I sold it and when it was found all that was missing was the engine and front fenders, It also have a very rare set of front fenders with no rust. The police said it was a professional hit. The police are the ones that told me about the rare engine. At the time all I knew was that it did not use the same starter motor as all other 258s, it used the one from a big V8. I was replacing it often. I have never been able to find any info on that engine other than what the cop told me.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now that's funny...I have been looking for a 73 Malibu as that was my first car. Nothing special about it but it was mine. Long story short it got totaled one night when a drunk pull out it front of us...of course I was not driving at the time...oops...thank God my dad calmed (cooled off) before I got home. For a factory stock car it could get down the line...not that I raced anyone :rotf:

When I was 14 I had saved up enough money to buy something to hot rod. On our trip out west Dad let me look for something and on the way back home we found a 1948 chevy convertible. At a price I could afford.Drove it home but the babbit rods finally gave up the ghost. I got a 36 chevy sedan transmission and bolted up a six cyc GMC that had been bored and stroked out to 301. I had a lot of fun with that old car and that is the one I want back. This isn't it but this is what it looked like, tho my top was white. Second choice would be my 1968 Road Runner 383/4 speed. Couldn't afford either one these days.

1948 chev Convertible.jpg

Ha! The difference in cultures.

Being from the UK our cars were way different (& mostly much smaller) than the US vehicles. I must admit to really liking some of older US cars that you guys had. But as some of you have indicated trying to buy a decent one now is extremely difficult, not to mention expensive. I'd probably have to sell my house.

I do enjoy looking though at some of the local shows in the summer.

My first car (which I loved at the time) was a used Ford Anglia 105E. Not sure I'd want another one though.

Had to laugh at Don's comment "it was only 250hp".... my 997cc Anglia was 39hp (according to Google)

My wife's first car (she's Canadian) around 1973, was a used, white, Fiat 850 Spyder (she can't remember what year) which she loved, (she tells me she named it Theodore!) she rode into the dealership on her bicycle. The sales staff were highly amused!

My first vehicles were bikes. Then finally got a car. Bought a 1960 Austin Healey Bugeye Sprite. 43hp. Went across country twice in that little car! Loved zipping around Denver in the snow as well. Working on that car was a ton of laughs. Seriously easy and almost everything had to be makeshift. Except rebuilding the generator and the tach drive behind it.

I did like British humor in how they built cars back in those days...really quite interesting!

Miss that car...too.

Here I am in Texas to visit a friend. Driving from New Hampshire to Denver. 1972. Finishing a month long leave after coming back from overseas. Note the long hair!

David just arriving at Earl's house in Texas - 72.jpg

My first car was a 70 Chevelle SS 396/350HP. Cranberry Red with a black vinyl top. Black interior, Muncie M21 4 speed and no power anything. I got that car when I was 18 and sold it about 9 years later. It need a lot of rust fixed and at that time there wasnt much available to fix it like there is now. Be nice to get a car like that back but I dont think I would keep it stock but make a restomod out of it.

Rick F.

First car was 65 Mustang 225 (or whatever the next to highest HP rating was) coupe, 4 spd car. It was a junker. LOL Main brg ratteler Still some good memories. Next Car I had was a 70 Maverick Grabber V-8 factory 3 spd car. Blew that old 3 spd up twice, then went to a 10 bolt top loader. Don long about 69 or so the car compainies started rear wheel horse power rating to thwart insurance companies. Also about 73 is the start of the unleaded fuel, smog pumps. Most compressions dropped from 11: 1 to 9 :1 . One car we had after I got married that was a hoot was a 73 Plymouth Furry 1 unmarked police car. They had killed the 400 magnum and replaced it with a 69 383 hp. Talk about freaking out your friends. Come blasting out to the local drag area with light off until your just about there and flip the headlights and emer flashers on.

My first vehicles were bikes. Then finally got a car. Bought a 1960 Austin Healey Bugeye Sprite. 43hp. Went across country twice in that little car! Loved zipping around Denver in the snow as well. Working on that car was a ton of laughs. Seriously easy and almost everything had to be makeshift. Except rebuilding the generator and the tach drive behind it.

I did like British humor in how they built cars back in those days...really quite interesting!

Miss that car...too.

Here I am in Texas to visit a friend. Driving from New Hampshire to Denver. 1972. Finishing a month long leave after coming back from overseas. Note the long hair!

Yes we did have a few "idiosyncrasies" (so did our vehicles! LOL) do you recall Lucas Electrics in the British cars? They were a law unto themselves, but as you say a ton of laughs to work on (looking back that is!) maybe not so much at the time!

A friend & I used to think nothing of stripping the engine out of his beat up old mini on a weekday night, after work, fixing, tuning & whatever else it needed, then he was racing it at the local track at the weekend.

Loved the little Bug Eye. I always wanted an MGB but never made it :(

My first vehicle was a Lambretta Li 150 scooter, I'm thinking circa 1962, rode that thing for maybe 3 years, to school, then work but of course I needed a car so I could take the girls out! LOL

btw If I've not said it before, (& even if I have) Thank You for your service!

PS Love the 70's hair & the 'tache

Miss that car...too.

https://www.venturerider.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=113971

What a Stache!

I didn't own any cars that I would want back again, but my brother owned one that I would really like to have in my drive. These things are rare, only made for the Canadian market and under the Ford line. The 56 Monarch is quite similar to the Merc, but there is plenty of differences. Stock was a 312 but I would like to have a 390 4bbl. The cost for me would probably put it out of reach though, seeing as the additional cost would be an addition to my garage or get rid of my bike, neither of which is going to happen anytime soon. The picture has the right color combo but I would like the 4 door HT.

'56 Monarch.jpg

Edited by Marcarl

Yes we did have a few "idiosyncrasies" (so did our vehicles! LOL) do you recall Lucas Electrics in the British cars? They were a law unto themselves, but as you say a ton of laughs to work on (looking back that is!) maybe not so much at the time!

A friend & I used to think nothing of stripping the engine out of his beat up old mini on a weekday night, after work, fixing, tuning & whatever else it needed, then he was racing it at the local track at the weekend.

Loved the little Bug Eye. I always wanted an MGB but never made it :(

My first vehicle was a Lambretta Li 150 scooter, I'm thinking circa 1962, rode that thing for maybe 3 years, to school, then work but of course I needed a car so I could take the girls out! LOL

btw If I've not said it before, (& even if I have) Thank You for your service!

PS Love the 70's hair & the 'tache

Thanks...I was always in trouble for my stache and hair...

The Smith's gauges were fun too. The electrical connections for the fuel gauge on my Bugeye were two brass nuts. Not only did they connect the power and signal to the gauge but also allowed you to adjust the full and empty mark! Just loosen and slide a teeny bit to line up the needle to the mark.

I enjoyed working on the car. Everything was fun to work on except the clutch! Pull the engine to get to the clutch because the driveline was encased in a tunnel that was part of the body!

Thanks...I was always in trouble for my stache and hair...

The Smith's gauges were fun too. The electrical connections for the fuel gauge on my Bugeye were two brass nuts. Not only did they connect the power and signal to the gauge but also allowed you to adjust the full and empty mark! Just loosen and slide a teeny bit to line up the needle to the mark.

I enjoyed working on the car. Everything was fun to work on except the clutch! Pull the engine to get to the clutch because the driveline was encased in a tunnel that was part of the body!

Ha! Ha! I wonder why? LOL (My Dad & I often had "words" about my hair!) :cool18:

Ah yes Smith's (bouncy pointer) gauges....

As far as fuel gauges go though my 1500 Silverado takes some beating! Apparently a brass wiper runs along a carbon track inside the gas tank. The brass wiper wears & the fuel gauge reads all over the place. It's a common fault I'm told. I got fed up not knowing how much fuel I had so I had the repair done, of course that also involved replacing the fuel pump too! :mo money:

Edited by Kretz

I have been searching High and Low for my favorite car from my past was a 1979 Pontiac Grand Prix SSJ it was a beaut and she would cruise smoothly at 80+. I had to really watch the speedometer on her, she had a dent just behind drivers side door jam when I bought her and I played heck trying to get it pulled out. She developed a shim when going down the road I was told internal vaccuum leak and it would cost more to fix her then what she was worth... BOY Were they wrong it turned out to be a very very Rare breed of the Grand Prix. I have been aimlessly searching for her since. Probably can't afford her anyway if someone knew what they had.

http://oldcarbrochures.org/index.php/NA/Pontiac/1979_Pontiac/1979-Pontiac-Grand-Prix-SSJ-Folder/1979-Pontiac-Grand-Prix-SSJ-Folder-01

My first car was a ‘62 Chev Impala but I fell for a new ‘74 Chev Nova, never forgetting how I much I liked the ‘62. Not long after buying the Nova, I had a desire for a street rod so I bought a ‘34 Chev 5 window coupe, fender less, small block Chev - still have it.

Then I thought I wanted a ‘55 Chev so I bought a ‘55 Belair sport coupe - still have it.

Never losing my desire for a ‘62 Impala I came across one at a car show and left my business card with the owner with the request that if he ever wanted sell it, let me know. 2-3 years later that call came. I still have it.

About four years ago I realize I have a motor vehicle from every decade from the 30’s to the 2010’s so why not add a

something from the ‘20’s? I found an all original 25 Chevrolet Touring. I still have it.

With all of the cars, trucks, tractors, and cycles I am not interested in adding more, but who knows!

Your name Danny by chance... LOL bet you got a huge ass garage..

Ahh those old Chevelles, I can not even guess how many of those I destroyed back when I was racing stock cars. We were constantly on the hunt for parts cars..

Dude I'm with ya on that. When I was oh 12-14 and went to stock car races seemed they were all 55-57 chevy and fords. When I got to driving age a few years later I was like " man them guys cut all them nice chevys up for stock cars? How stupid" Come around my turn, the amount of 69-72 chevells we cut up and even the 73-77's and mote carlos. Oh my. The monte's made really nice street stockers with the engine set back from factory. My Brother in law currently has a 69 SS camaro all OEM, and a metric 78 up Monte SS thats all stock. Problem is he only drives them like 10 days a year.

My grandpa's green 1959 Star Chief with bubble wrapped seatshttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180809/21d6dca26bd7b6e27f0e87c9d5d5322f.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I had me one of those wide track Pontcoes, but it was a 4 door hardtop with a 261 6 banger, 3 speed stick. When I traded it in on a Morris wagon it was using more oil than gas I think, had a can of used oil in the trunk to keep it going. The guy that bought it from the dealer a day later got about 2 miles before it blew. Now the Morris got to the point that I carried head gaskets in the back seat along with the necessary tools to change it. I got pretty good at that procedure, if I remember it was about 45 minutes to get it all done. Head gaskets were supplied by the mechanic who said that he could fix it the first time and failed, and then after having it in the shop for the third time, he said, here are a dozen gaskets and this is how you change them. I hope you sell it soon. I did when the gaskets were all used up. Then I got me a 66 VW. It died as well, the day after I traded it for the first Mazda 1200 sold in Ont.

Don, the picture you posted reminds me of the 74 Chevy Laguna I had, White on white. Was I great car till I ran it through a drainage ditch and launched it like the Duke boy did with many General Lee cars.

The one I'd like to have back though is the 59 Triumph TR3A I had during my last year of high school. It was a fun little car.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk