IGNORED

Ever tried to replace a car from your past?

Freebird

I graduated from High School in 1973. Within a couple of weeks after graduating, I spotted a '73 Chevelle SS 454 being unloaded off the car carrier at my local Chevrolet dealership. I turned around and had a deal made on it before it even made it through the prep. Drove off in it later that day.

I drove it for about 3 years before trading it in on a brand new '76 Monte Carlo. It's a decision I have always regretted even though I know that it would still be long gone by now.

For the past 10 years or so, I have kept my eyes open for another one just like it and they are rare as hen's teeth. They weren't that popular a car as the '68 - '72 models are considered the best of the Chevelles but I want one like I had. The problem is, they didn't make that many of them, especially with the 454, and most were ragged out and likely crushed over the years.

I haven't given up and will hopefully run across one someday. I do an intensive search from time to time but have come up empty.

I know that some of you probably have one from the past that you would like to replace. Which one is it? There are several others on my list that I wouldn't mind having, '74 Challenger, '69 Camaro, '72 Buick GS 455, etc. but the Chevelle is the one at the top of my list.

I don't even have a picture of it but this was exactly like it.

73-chevelle.jpg

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I owned some neat old hot rods such as a 56 Chevy Convertible, 59 Chevy Impala 2 hdtp with the 283 4barrel V8 and 3 speed manual with electric overdrive. The OD rear that year was a 4.11 ratio and that car was surprisingly quick. I bought a new 65 Chevelle with the 300hp 327, 4 speed, posi rear and put 100k miles on it in 4 years a lot of it 1/4 mile at a time. I owned a 69 SS396 Chevelle 4 speed posi, 70 Mustang fastback that I exchanged the 302V8, C4 automatic, 8" rear to a 351 windsor, FMX auto, and 9" rear after owning it 7 years. 79 V8 Mustang 4 speed, 82 TransAm, 86 Monte CarloSS. Later I owned a 95 Mark VIII Lincoln with DOHC V8 and now a 2005 Dodge Magnum with the Hemi V8. I can truthfully say that I would not want any of those old cars today. The 79 Mustang was the first of the bunch to have AC. I like the modern cars much better. Out of all the cars I have owned the Mark VIII Lincoln is my favorite closely followed by my Hemi Magnum. The newer cars are better in every way. They are more powerful, get better fuel economy, handle better, stop better, more comfortable in most cases, and last longer. The new GT Mustang, Camaros and Dodge Chargers/Challengers with the 392 V8 will blow the doors off any of those old cars.

Ive had my eyes peeled for another 70 Torino GT for 25+ years. Another 72 Torino Sport would also be awesome. The Clint Eastwood movie did not make those any easier to find though. Seems solid restorables are owned by those that understand the increasing rarity of either model and restored examplet cost about as much as a 911 Turbo.

As in the case with your big block Chevelle (solid choice btw haha) they arent getting easier to find, esp #s matching. I sort of blame those televised auto auctions in which rare muscle car variants and rare desirable exotics sell for more than houses in upper middle class neighborhoods on the good side of town. At this point I would bite down on a 70-72 Maverick Grabber.

I hope the right one presents at the right time, you may have to open up your checkbook pretty wide when you do find her.

I owned some neat old hot rods such as a 56 Chevy Convertible, 59 Chevy Impala 2 hdtp with the 283 4barrel V8 and 3 speed manual with electric overdrive. The OD rear that year was a 4.11 ratio and that car was surprisingly quick. I bought a new 65 Chevelle with the 300hp 327, 4 speed, posi rear and put 100k miles on it in 4 years a lot of it 1/4 mile at a time. I owned a 69 SS396 Chevelle 4 speed posi, 70 Mustang fastback that I exchanged the 302V8, C4 automatic, 8" rear to a 351 windsor, FMX auto, and 9" rear after owning it 7 years. 79 V8 Mustang 4 speed, 82 TransAm, 86 Monte CarloSS. Later I owned a 95 Mark VIII Lincoln with DOHC V8 and now a 2005 Dodge Magnum with the Hemi V8. I can truthfully say that I would not want any of those old cars today. The 79 Mustang was the first of the bunch to have AC. I like the modern cars much better. Out of all the cars I have owned the Mark VIII Lincoln is my favorite closely followed by my Hemi Magnum. The newer cars are better in every way. They are more powerful, get better fuel economy, handle better, stop better, more comfortable in most cases, and last longer. The new GT Mustang, Camaros and Dodge Chargers/Challengers with the 392 V8 will blow the doors off any of those old cars.

I know you are right about the new ones blowing the doors off most of the older ones but that doesn't matter to me. Heck, I think my '73 454 was only rated 250 HP. The funny thing was, I had Cragar Super Sports all around and M50 Goodyears on the back and it would still smoke the tires. Something strange about those HP ratings. Heck, my wife's Nissan Murano is rated at higher HP. That was the first year that the government neutered them due to emissions. I don't care though. I still want another one. :) My '74 Challenger was a 318 with a 2Bbl carb. It wasn't fast either but I really loved it.

Getting out of the Air Force in 73, I looked at 3 cars:

73 Dodge Challenger with Rallye package, 340 V8 and slap stick automatic. Yellow. Black top.

Or the 73 AMC Javelin, 360 V8.

But bought a 73 Opel Manta Rallye instead. It was Porsche killer in the curvy Colorado mountain roads, yet doclie in town or on freeway. Love to get that car back!

$_57.jpg

When I was 17 I was enrolled in an auto mechanics pre-apprentice course and one of the cars we worked on was a 1958 Chev Impala.

Later on when I was 22 I worked in a garage and the owner's son had one. It was a US model with a 348 engine, convertibel, with a continental kit. It was for sale and I bought it ... for a measly $350. There was basically nothing wrong with it.

A while after I had it the transmission gave out (it had the "truck" tranny). I had the shop convert it to a 2 speed powerglide.

While we were on our trip recently and camped a Lake Havasu we came across a local custom car show and one of the cars was a 1958 Impala.

This is the one in the show...

1958Chev.jpg

This is a shot of mine back in 1970

58Chevvy.jpg

I would love to have this car again.

Back in the 60's..70's I owned some very cool cars... Bought them off the used market 'cause I could never afford anything new right out of high school. Now I see them on Barrett-Jackson for way more than this kid can afford....again.. '56 Chevy 2-dr., 53 Ford coupe, 59 Impala convertible, etc.... What ticks me off today is I never took any pics of them... They were just cars... Who knew???

When I was 17 I was enrolled in an auto mechanics pre-apprentice course and one of the cars we worked on was a 1958 Chev Impala.

Later on when I was 22 I worked in a garage and the owner's son had one. It was a US model with a 348 engine, convertibel, with a continental kit. It was for sale and I bought it ... for a measly $350. There was basically nothing wrong with it.

A while after I had it the transmission gave out (it had the "truck" tranny). I had the shop convert it to a 2 speed powerglide.

While we were on our trip recently and camped a Lake Havasu we came across a local custom car show and one of the cars was a 1958 Impala.

This is the one in the show...

https://www.venturerider.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=113947

This is a shot of mine back in 1970

https://www.venturerider.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=113946

I would love to have this car again.

I loved the 55, 56, 57, and my first car was a 59. Never owned a '58 and thought they were the ugliest of any car of that time. Funny how our tastes change, I drool when I see one now.

I loved the 55, 56, 57, and my first car was a 59. Never owned a '58 and thought they were the ugliest of any car of that time. Funny how our tastes change, I drool when I see one now.

Same here.... :-) Now I salivate when I see a '58 cross the block at BJ..... I think it was the vast body style change from the very popular '57. It had to grow on ya...... If I won the Lotto the '58 would be the one I'd go after.... :mo money:

I had a '55 not long after I sold the '58 ... but everyone had a '55. I enjoy having vehicles that not everyone has.

'nuther car I had for a short while is a 1961 Imperial ... cool car but try and find one today....

1961 Imperial.jpeg

Yes, lots of memories.

I have always been a car guy, even as a kid. Got a go cart when I was 7 and a motorcycle when I was 13. First car was a 59 English Ford Anglia 4 speed, as my mom had a 58 that I learned to drive with. My first real car was a 64 327 4 speed Chevelle when I was still 17. I almost bought a 58 Corvette that was a complete driver for $700. The Chevelle got me thru high school and 4 years in the USAF and then I found a perfect 65 Chevelle body with a 4:10 posi 12 bolt, one of the short rearends that are very rare. I had already updated the engine in the 64 with a later model 327 that I had put 11.5 pistons, an L-79 cam, early Z-28 intake and headers. In the 65 with the 4:10 gears, that car was quick. I bought a 72 240Z while in college and in 79 put in a 350 Chevy with 350 Turbo and with that engine and later with the 327 refreshed, I put a total of 156,000 miles on with a V-8. Fun, well known car. Yep, it had a reputation.

When I had the 65, I ran across a Z-16 Chevelle a guy had sitting in a field for $800. A guy bought it and resold it for $3,000. That guy replaced the clutch and cleaned it up and a couple years later sold it for $54,000. One went across BJ about a month ago for $255,000. There were only 201 Z-16 Chevelles built in 65 and all with the 375 hp 396 engines as a promo for the new 66 396 Chevelles. Also, one was a convertible, but no one knows where it went. That car would be worth a fortune.

And, to relive my childhood, I picked up a 64 Chevelle SS car that a guy had put a 65 front end on it. It came with a new floorboard more 65 fenders and rear quarters. It is still sitting beside the garage and I have not touched it. My son has a 65 Chevelle 300 he bought when he was 16 that now has a 4 speed and the old 327 I had in the 240 Z, refreshed again.

Randy

20170923_161143.jpg

DSCN3317 (1).JPG

Ha! The difference in cultures.

Being from the UK our cars were way different (& mostly much smaller) than the US vehicles. I must admit to really liking some of older US cars that you guys had. But as some of you have indicated trying to buy a decent one now is extremely difficult, not to mention expensive. I'd probably have to sell my house.

I do enjoy looking though at some of the local shows in the summer.

My first car (which I loved at the time) was a used Ford Anglia 105E. Not sure I'd want another one though.

Had to laugh at Don's comment "it was only 250hp".... my 997cc Anglia was 39hp (according to Google)

My wife's first car (she's Canadian) around 1973, was a used, white, Fiat 850 Spyder (she can't remember what year) which she loved, (she tells me she named it Theodore!) she rode into the dealership on her bicycle. The sales staff were highly amused!

Edited by Kretz

LOL...it's all a matter of perspective. A few months before buying the new '73 Chevelle, I almost bought another Chevelle. I think it was a '71 but don't remember for sure. It was a couple years old at the time. It had a 396 with 375 HP. That was why the 250HP for my 454 was considered very low. 1973 was the first year that the government mandated a lot of emissions junk and was the end of the true muscle cars for a lot of years.

My first car was a ‘62 Chev Impala but I fell for a new ‘74 Chev Nova, never forgetting how I much I liked the ‘62. Not long after buying the Nova, I had a desire for a street rod so I bought a ‘34 Chev 5 window coupe, fender less, small block Chev - still have it.

Then I thought I wanted a ‘55 Chev so I bought a ‘55 Belair sport coupe - still have it.

Never losing my desire for a ‘62 Impala I came across one at a car show and left my business card with the owner with the request that if he ever wanted sell it, let me know. 2-3 years later that call came. I still have it.

About four years ago I realize I have a motor vehicle from every decade from the 30’s to the 2010’s so why not add a

something from the ‘20’s? I found an all original 25 Chevrolet Touring. I still have it.

With all of the cars, trucks, tractors, and cycles I am not interested in adding more, but who knows!

Guest divey

9735FEED-D8A9-4F37-901F-5AE31AB49933.jpg

My my first car was a 1964 Pontiac Parisienne, 2dr with a 283 ci V8 and 2 speed auto. Bought it from an elderly couple who were neighbors of my grandparents. While this pic isnt of my car, it very well could have been as it was in show room condition as exactly like the pic. I don’t recall the colour name but its a salmon colour and quite rare. I was about 17 years old and of course, had an ample supply of brains so I traded it off a year later to a coworker for a rusted out 1955 Chevy 2dr with a 283 and 4 speed stick with loud pipes😩. Not one of my smarter moves. Today, I can hardly find a 64 let alone one that colour. Doug

Most car engines compression ratios were reduced in 1971 and at the same time, they changed the hp ratings to crankshaft hp so the 302V8 that came in my 70 Mustang that was rated 220hp had a hp rating of about 145hp in 71. In the 70's and 80's I was continually buying and selling old cars. It was a disease! Most of the cars I sold for a small profit or the same as I paid for them.

Some I forgot were 1966 GT Mustang which was a special edition with the "pony" interior and chrome exhaust tips coming out the rear valance, another 59 chevy Impala 4 drhdtp ($100), 64 Buick Wildcat, nice low mileage car, 65 Dodge dart 2dr hdtp with the 273 V8 and 4 speed (death trap), 73 Mercury Cougar with the 351Cleveland V8, 69 Mercury Cougar that was the donor car for the 351W engine FMX trans, and 9" rear that went into my 70 Mustang. I put the Mustang drive train in the 69 Cougar and drove it about a year before selling it for more than i paid for it. I used to say that I wish I had all of the cars I've ever owned stored in a warehouse. But, I can't afford it and as far as driving them daily, I'm very happy with today's vehicles. My dream car that I never was able to buy was a 65 - 67 Corvette.

Well, I have run across one. I would rather find one with the stock paint but this one is somewhat tugging at me.

Ya can't take it with you :mo money::mo money:

I love spending other people's money. LOL

Beautiful car & I'm jealous, hope it works for you! :thumbsup2:

Ya can't take it with you :mo money::mo money:

I love spending other people's money. LOL

Beautiful car & I'm jealous, hope it works for you! :thumbsup2:

I think that one is very well done Jeff but I would much prefer to find one with the stock paint scheme and etc. like I had. Also, that one is a 350. Nicely built but I really want another 454 like I had.

You guys may laugh at me but mine was a 1964 Pontiac Bonneville station wagon I bought for 500 bucks in 1970. It was a Canadian police wagon. It had a 389 CI with a 4 barrel and a factory stock 4 speed stick on the floor. I replaced the stock motor with a completely balanced and blueprinted 389 short block with back then Pontiac heavy duty parts, crank and rods, Jans racing pistons and a Lunita cam and a heavy duty clutch. I got a 3 2's set up off a wrecked 1967 GTO and had a set of ported 1965 heads. I would wind it up to about 5 grand and dump the clutch. The front wheels would come off the ground about 6 inches or so. Well after sheering off 2 main shafts in the trany I put an automatic in it. The short block I had was a 1961 so the only automatic that would fit was a 4 speed cast iron hydomatic that weighted a ton. Back in those days I was kind of short on cash and what I had went into the car. I had to drive to the race track. Couldn't afford a trailer and tow vehicle. I would race what back then was called bracket racing. First trip to the track I ran a 12.50 on the brakes at the top end of the quarter mile and still ran too fast for the bracket I chose. Now comes the sad part. The guy at the transmission shop who built the trans for me wanted me to stop by and have him see how it was doing. There was a short return road behind the shop. I put it up on the brake and stomped on the gas. As the front wheels came off the pavement there was this loud noise and a flood of transmission fluid. Thirteen additional air craft quality bolts around the torque converter later. I was tuning it up in my mom's driveway and the dreaded chocolate milk. Yep it blew a head gasket. I didn't have a garage at the time and the guy who let me use his to build the motor would not let be bring it back to tare the motor apart and fix it. I took it apart to a short block covere the motor up with a tarp and there it sat and sat in my mothers driveway. I got married shortly after that and we were in an apartment, couldn't take it there. Then we got a condo and could't take it there either. We finally got out first house and I was saving up to get it towed. Wend down to my mom's to mow her grass and it was gone. She kept warning me she was going to have it towed off. Well there ends my one and only daily driver/race car. I look on the internet for 1964 Pontiac wagons but rarely ever see one. Just another pipe dream. Well thanks for listening guys.