IGNORED

Ground cable upgrade?

Hey guys! I need to replace my ground cable as it gets corroded really badly after only a month or two. This last time i tried to take it off the battery to clean it it was rust welded to the negative post and i snapped the negative post almost clean off! How have you guys been upgrading your negative cables?

With larger wire! Upgrade both the minus and plus wires and be surprised at how much better it starts when hot! Someone was using welding cable at one time. Several members in the past made up kits for sale. I don't think anybody has made them since Heather (Yamagrl) did a year or two ago...

With larger wire! Upgrade both the minus and plus wires and be surprised at how much better it starts when hot! Someone was using welding cable at one time. Several members in the past made up kits for sale. I don't think anybody has made them since Heather (Yamagrl) did a year or two ago...
And solder and crimp lugs. Never seen a cable corrode to a battery terminal.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

If you upgrade the starter to a 4 brush, do you still need the larger cables?
I bought heavy cable and lugs along with a 4 brush starter and after testing the starter alone found I didn't need to upgrade my cables. Bike starts hot or cold easily every time but this isn't to say that it wouldn't crank faster with heavier cables. That said, a 2 brush starter has no business in any of these bikes and its a wonder to me that Yamaha wasn't forced to do a recall (or is that only safety issues). I saved my 2 brush starter because people sell them on eBay but why would anyone buy one?

I bought a set back when Dingy was making them, I also bought a 4 brush starter...never got around to installing the starter because the upgraded cables cured all of my starting needs.

Highly recommend that you change out cables.

Now I know if my 4 brush starter wears out, I can upgrade my cables and put the 2 brush back in!!!

I bought heavy cable and lugs along with a 4 brush starter and after testing the starter alone found I didn't need to upgrade my cables. Bike starts hot or cold easily every time but this isn't to say that it wouldn't crank faster with heavier cables. That said, a 2 brush starter has no business in any of these bikes and its a wonder to me that Yamaha wasn't forced to do a recall (or is that only safety issues). I saved my 2 brush starter because people sell them on eBay but why would anyone buy one?

Same experience on my '84. Replaced the original starter with a used 4-brush from a '06 that I picked up on eBay. Huge difference! Lots of good used 4-brush starters for sale on eBay. Any starter from '91 to '13 Ventures of Vmaxs will be 4-brush.

If you upgrade the starter to a 4 brush, do you still need the larger cables?

I would just because Yamagrls cables fixed my problems I have never once had a slow crank this summer

I still can. They're still listed on member vendors

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

I bought her set and it fixed all my issues very clean install with a positive lead I used for my extra fuse panel worth every penny spent.

I bought a set back when Dingy was making them, I also bought a 4 brush starter...never got around to installing the starter because the upgraded cables cured all of my starting needs.

Highly recommend that you change out cables.

Yup I have the 2 brush starter and no problems as a matter of fact I had to replace the starter clutch..

What's up yamagrl? Whatcha been doing? Long time no speakee. Are you still riding two wheelers?

Sold all the bikes. At one point I had 4 and a parts bike. After the wreck in late 2016 I figured it was best to "read the writing on the wall". I hadn't seen the pavement side of a motorcycle since 1981. I thought I was invincible.

I'm not on the site much anymore but I get notifications when I'm quoted. That's how I popped up on this one. I am still available if someone has problem that I might be able to help with. Just quote me in the post or pm or phone always works.

I have been resurrecting a 2000 29ft motorhome with 7.3 Powerstroke. Named it Harvey (get it?) Learning diesel engines is interesting. Anyone good with 7.3 Powerstroke?

Heather

Sold all the bikes. At one point I had 4 and a parts bike. After the wreck in late 2016 I figured it was best to "read the writing on the wall". I hadn't seen the pavement side of a motorcycle since 1981. I thought I was invincible.

I'm not on the site much anymore but I get notifications when I'm quoted. That's how I popped up on this one. I am still available if someone has problem that I might be able to help with. Just quote me in the post or pm or phone always works.

I have been resurrecting a 2000 29ft motorhome with 7.3 Powerstroke. Named it Harvey (get it?) Learning diesel engines is interesting. Anyone good with 7.3 Powerstroke?

Heather

Great to hear from you! The MH sounds like a great project. A MH is on my list of desires but as long as the wife still has a job, I can't justify one yet. Take care and keep us updated. It's great to have members with your skills.

Great to hear from you! The MH sounds like a great project. A MH is on my list of desires but as long as the wife still has a job, I can't justify one yet. Take care and keep us updated. It's great to have members with your skills.

Yeah... We hope to start doing a lot of traveling next year. I still have at least this year before I'm able to be away for lengthy periods.

I'll be around if anyone needs.

H