IGNORED

Hanging up my Helmet.

GolfVenture

I've decided to hang up my helmet. I've not ridden my 89 VR this year and only once last year but did more in 2015(first riding year after my accident). I had that terrible accident in 2012 with my 91 VR, but because I had the 89 VR, I moved the carbs from my wrecked 91 VR to the 89 VR and the 89 sprang back into life in 2015. Surgeries and Phy Therapy took 3 years and today, one could not tell that I was ever in a bad M/C accident.

I was in Disneyland this past Christmas with my daughter and husband (with 1 granddaughter and 1 grandson). My daughter handed my wife and I each a Disneyland button to wear, to begin our Disney Adventure . My daughter always had a creative streak in her. I was walking with my grandchildren one in each hand. My granddaughter who was 5 during my accident. help nurse me back to health in her sweet way. My grandson was not born yet. Today my granddaughter is 10 and can barely remember the accident and my grandson would have never known me had the accident took my life. Now with number 3 due in November, I Assessed my life and the M/C riding was the one hobby that had the most risk in my life, and my desire to be part of their lives, see them graduate, college and possible be a great grandfather inspired me to hang up my helmet. There is a time for everything and this is my time.

I've had a 2 wheel motorized bike since about 1965 (Tote Gote)t_500x300. Anyone remember it. Then in 1969 I bought a Kawasaki TR90 attachment.php?attachmentid=113631&d=1531888334&thumb=1&stc=1 and I still have it. Then after college I bought a 74 Yamaha TX500 twinattachment.php?attachmentid=113632&d=1531888550&thumb=1&stc=1. Bought a 74 Yamaha YZ125attachment.php?attachmentid=113639&d=1531891660&thumb=1&stc=1. Sold the Yamaha TX500 then in 1980 bought a new Goldwingasset.php?fid=110357&uid=10098&d=1531888833 . I sold the wing in 1983 when my daughter was born. Then I got back into riding in 2010 and bought the 89 VRattachment.php?attachmentid=113634&d=1531889551&thumb=1&stc=1, just 4 months after open heart sugery. Rode it from Vacaville Ca to Buckley Wa. Then while looking for a parts VR bike I came across a beautiful 91 VR with about 6000 milesattachment.php?attachmentid=113635&d=1531889732&thumb=1&stc=1attachment.php?attachmentid=113636&d=1531889912&thumb=1&stc=1attachment.php?attachmentid=113637&d=1531890180&thumb=1&stc=1. I was going to sunset with the 91 VR but the accident took the life of the 91 VRattachment.php?attachmentid=113638&d=1531890802&thumb=1&stc=1. So this is what my 89VR looks like now with a golf bag carrier.15873566_1250684658342964_7258170338963794516_n.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=e10a4d7e75d7526ea3594cc3e47c0e50&oe=5BD9949B. I plan on having fun accessorizing the 89VR then putting the 30 year Collectable plates next year. Then the 89VR will go into storage for my grandkids to one day restore it say in 20 years. THen it will be about 50 years old. Mean while I will be having more fun restoring my 69 Kawasaki. 74 Yamaha YZ125. My mothers 1976 AMC Pacer, my 76 Chev Luv, my 92 Dodge Diesel, and my 88 Bayliner. I'm not leaving this group for I really like being connected with you all. Just added the Disney Button which should have been the 1st Picture.

kaw.jpg

Yamaha TX500.jpg

1980 Wing.jpg

89VR.png

May 2012 008.jpg

91VR1Me.jpg

91VR-Twins4Side.jpg

2012-LasVegasTrip-6-16D27-Wreckage.jpg

74 YZ125.jpg

Disney Buttons.jpg

Edited by Golf&Venture
Adding Disney Button

I've decided to hang up my helmet. I've not ridden my 89 VR this year and only once last year but did more in 2015(first riding year after my accident). I had that terrible accident in 2012 with my 91 VR, but because I had the 89 VR, I moved the carbs from my wrecked 91 VR to the 89 VR and the 89 sprang back into life in 2015. Surgeries and Phy Therapy took 3 years and today, one could not tell that I was ever in a bad M/C accident.

I was in Disneyland this past Christmas with my daughter and husband (with 1 granddaughter and 1 grandson). My daughter handed my wife and I each a Disneyland button to wear, to begin our Disney Adventure http://www.venturerider.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=113630. My daughter always had a creative streak in her. I was walking with my grandchildren one in each hand. My granddaughter who was 5 during my accident. help nurse me back to health in her sweet way. My grandson was not born yet. Today my granddaughter is 10 and can barely remember the accident and my grandson would have never known me had the accident took my life. Now with number 3 due in November, I Assessed my life and the M/C riding was the one hobby that had the most risk in my life, and my desire to be part of their lives, see them graduate, college and possible be a great grandfather inspired me to hang up my helmet. There is a time for everything and this is my time.

I've had a 2 wheel motorized bike since about 1965 (Tote Gote)https://s.yimg.com/fz/api/res/1.2/qZLchKo3bJv1hsF78u2OQA--~C/YXBwaWQ9c3JjaGRkO2ZpPWZpdDtoPTE4MDtxPTgwO3c9MjMw/https://s.yimg.com/zb/imgv1/635a8bbd-abb2-3bc6-a7c6-af9a120e1e48/t_500x300. Anyone remember it. Then in 1969 I bought a Kawasaki TR90 http://www.venturerider.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=113631&d=1531888334&thumb=1&stc=1 and I still have it. Then after college I bought a 74 Yamaha TX500 twinhttp://www.venturerider.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=113632&d=1531888550&thumb=1&stc=1. Bought a 74 Yamaha YZ125http://www.venturerider.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=113639&d=1531891660&thumb=1&stc=1. Sold the Yamaha TX500 then in 1980 bought a new Goldwinghttp://www.venturerider.org/forum/asset.php?fid=110357&uid=10098&d=1531888833 . I sold the wing in 1983 when my daughter was born. Then I got back into riding in 2010 and bought the 89 VRhttp://www.venturerider.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=113634&d=1531889551&thumb=1&stc=1, just 4 months after open heart sugery. Rode it from Vacaville Ca to Buckley Wa. Then while looking for a parts VR bike I came across a beautiful 91 VR with about 6000 mileshttp://www.venturerider.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=113635&d=1531889732&thumb=1&stc=1http://www.venturerider.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=113636&d=1531889912&thumb=1&stc=1http://www.venturerider.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=113637&d=1531890180&thumb=1&stc=1. I was going to sunset with the 91 VR but the accident took the life of the 91 VRhttp://www.venturerider.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=113638&d=1531890802&thumb=1&stc=1. So this is what my 89VR looks like now with a golf bag carrier.https://scontent-sea1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-1/p160x160/15873566_1250684658342964_7258170338963794516_n.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=e10a4d7e75d7526ea3594cc3e47c0e50&oe=5BD9949B. I plan on having fun accessorizing the 89VR then putting the 30 year Collectable plates next year. Then the 89VR will go into storage for my grandkids to one day restore it say in 20 years. THen it will be about 50 years old. Mean while I will be having more fun restoring my 69 Kawasaki. 74 Yamaha YZ125. My mothers 1976 AMC Pacer, my 76 Chev Luv, my 92 Dodge Diesel, and my 88 Bayliner. I'm not leaving this group for I really like being connected with you all.

That last Vegas trip didn't look fun. You made a tough decision sound logical. I wonder the same sometimes but more if ill be hanging up my helmet because I'm dead or I can no longer ride. I had another accident last year and my neck is bothersome and it makes my throttle hand go numb while riding. Now even short rides its going numb and its stiff and I'm getting a little nervous riding within 30 miles of my home because its so traffic dense (& I hate to say it but seems the drivers are worse now then ever). good that you are staying connected to the group tho because its a good group and people need people.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

Your TX500 looks identical to my old XS500 right down to the color! I sold it and bought a Honda CX650 which was a lot more comfortable and water cooled but not that great 2 up. After several years and an accident I bought my '84 Royale and the rest is history!

It has been three years since I have been on my 83 and it is sitting on the carport covered up. I also have an 85 and my son has an 86 and my grandson has an 83. We need to get rid of all of them. It has been a good ride for me as I have put 150,000 miles on my 83 and it was a big part of my life.

There was a time I could not imagine getting off my Venture, but with Linda telling me she was just not as comfortable as she wanted to be with the traffic and everything and me getting her a Miata, it all changed. I considered building a trike with the Goldwing I have, but for what it would cost, I could buy a really nice Miata. So, instead of going with three wheels in the wind, I went with four and enjoy it every time I get in it. I loved riding my Venture and have really enjoyed being with this group for so long and still plan on hanging around longer.

I would love to have a smaller bike and it looks like with what you have that you will still enjoy playing around with one, but making the decision to get off the big bike can be a difficult, but wise choice.

Randy

Brian,

I remember your accident well. Boy, it seems like last week. I sadly sold my 89 in Feb when I bought my Stratoliner. I had also inherited my son-in-law's 86 Venture that we bought from 1Rooster several years ago. After my son-in-law passed away last July my daughter just couldn't part with his Venure and asked me to keep it running for the girls to ride. I couldn't keep all 3 bikes so I kept his 86 and the Strat. My wife asks why I don't ride as much now, and I just answer that life gets in the way. I do ride, my 3 & 6 year old Grand Princesses LOVE riding on the bikes. We just stay around close to the house for now.

I can't see ever giving up riding, but we never know the future. If we did, i would be buying a lottery ticket tonight. You were an avid rider and Venture lover. I still have several of the special tools and items you had made for the Venture.

Enjoy life. Stay in touch. Take care. FORE ! :cool:

Bill

It has been three years since I have been on my 83 and it is sitting on the carport covered up. I also have an 85 and my son has an 86 and my grandson has an 83. We need to get rid of all of them. It has been a good ride for me as I have put 150,000 miles on my 83 and it was a big part of my life.

There was a time I could not imagine getting off my Venture, but with Linda telling me she was just not as comfortable as she wanted to be with the traffic and everything and me getting her a Miata, it all changed. I considered building a trike with the Goldwing I have, but for what it would cost, I could buy a really nice Miata. So, instead of going with three wheels in the wind, I went with four and enjoy it every time I get in it. I loved riding my Venture and have really enjoyed being with this group for so long and still plan on hanging around longer.

I would love to have a smaller bike and it looks like with what you have that you will still enjoy playing around with one, but making the decision to get off the big bike can be a difficult, but wise choice.

Randy

I would imagine you'll have a firm who can do the same there. In Aussie, there's a place of 'nutters' who give the MX5 {miata} a serious heart transplant. They stuff a tuned RX7 or RX8 rotary in them. :nanner:

I would imagine you'll have a firm who can do the same there. In Aussie, there's a place of 'nutters' who give the MX5 {miata} a serious heart transplant. They stuff a tuned RX7 or RX8 rotary in them. :nanner:

The most popular swap in a Miata is probably the LS versions of the GM V-8. You can get a LS3 crate motor with 525 horsepower and with a 5 or 6 speed it actually weighs less than the Miata four cylinder. There are a lot of V-6 swaps done also.

Randy

I considered building a trike with the Goldwing I have, but for what it would cost, I could buy a really nice Miata. So, instead of going with three wheels in the wind, I went with four and enjoy it every time I get in it.

Randy

Makes sense to me. I'm not ready to give up two wheels yet but have been considering the move to a three wheeler at some point. Trouble is the Miata is made for short people. I had a 1967 MGB which is the inspiration for the Miata but it had tons of leg room. Not sure I want to trade in my old Venture for an even older car.

Perhaps it will be the time to move to Mexico where riding a quad is allowed on public roads.

Mine was a Rupp?? pretty sure.

For many years I couldn't ride so I concentrated on other aspects of life. Seems to me our elders back in the day use to say

"You will know when its time" to almost any dilemma facing us. Don't believe you can keep a good man down or change his mind once he has reflected sufficiently on any matter; but, he may willingly choose a different path to explore.

The most popular swap in a Miata is probably the LS versions of the GM V-8. You can get a LS3 crate motor with 525 horsepower and with a 5 or 6 speed it actually weighs less than the Miata four cylinder. There are a lot of V-6 swaps done also.

Randy

Ahhhh, as a non car user, I don't really follow much. I just know about the MX5 conversion {rotary} from meeting someone with one, no idea of HP but was blardy quick. Mind you the V8 motor you are talking about would likely have a lot more torque than a rotary.

G & V one way or another that day will come to all of us. After my second accident 2011 my kids wanted me to stop but I just wasn't ready to stop riding so I went to 3 wheels. I actually hated it but rode the Goldwing for 4 years to make sure.I was so glad to see it go down the road I took my wife out to dinner. I bought a Spyder RT and it was like starting all over again. I just got back from 2200 miles trip to the 3 Wheeler rally in Dead and now I am considering hanging it up also. Its been a good run but the last couple of days on the road were hard on me and I can feel my health going downhill. Thanks for posting about your decision and your reasoning. Good luck with your grand kids and your new life. Post a picture or two from time to time.

G & V one way or another that day will come to all of us. After my second accident 2011 my kids wanted me to stop but I just wasn't ready to stop riding so I went to 3 wheels. I actually hated it but rode the Goldwing for 4 years to make sure.I was so glad to see it go down the road I took my wife out to dinner. I bought a Spyder RT and it was like starting all over again. I just got back from 2200 miles trip to the 3 Wheeler rally in Dead and now I am considering hanging it up also. Its been a good run but the last couple of days on the road were hard on me and I can feel my health going downhill. Thanks for posting about your decision and your reasoning. Good luck with your grand kids and your new life. Post a picture or two from time to time.

Tks Paul for asking about pictures. Here are a couple pictures. The Family picture is about 7 years old without my grandson Brayden. The 2nd Picture is our Ice Cream Sandwich club, but once in while I substitute it with a Hazen Das. When my newest, soon to be born grandson gets old enough for his first Ice Cream Sandwich the members has to vote and it has to be unanimous. Family picture from Right to left, Me, My Wife Rachel, My daughter Leah, My Grand Daughter Kailia, Leah's husband Bryson and then my Son Tye.

There a few other reason for hanging up my helmet. My daughter Leah calls me "Patriarch of the family". See both my Wife and I have no records of any of our blood relatives. So to her, Rachel and I are like an Adam an Eve. See we are both Korean orphans due to the Korean War. Later we discovered Through Holt International (Pioneered International adoption) that on record we are the 1st Korean adoptees to marry. Then on top being first Korean adoptee to marry we also adopted our son, Tye from Korea. Maybe that could qualify to be in the Guinnes Book of Records. When my newest grandson is born I will post to to this thread. I thought increasing my chances to stick around would be appreciated by my family.

FamilyPicture.jpg

Ice Cream Snadwich Club.jpg

Perhaps the family we create, nurture and protect is our greatest achievement. Thinking for many of us riding was what we did or do for ourselves kind of our Zen connection to the countless miles weathered hot, wet, cold and for me in one trip a week of snow.

Younger I remember how great the saddle felt early in the mornings; how stopping along the way was inspiring, many times just to the sound of the engine ticking down, the smell of spruce in the air, the taste of a good smoke, a short walk to stretch our legs, a quick glance at the map then off again. Oh and lets not forget the old kick start days:)

The memories stay with us we earned them even tho you won't find them on the mantle for others to touch we share them and we inspire. Lets not forget we earned them, the sport helped us manage our life commitments and, as they change so must we.

On my last run to anywhere, the bike rolled over my foot braking some parts; now I kept the trip going but man it took way to long to heal, now I'm 4 months into a shoulder injury, 10 years ago seems like I could heal in under a week!?

If Zen is freedom then we know it and can find it again, once we find that new to us path..

Below a couple of good memories, one is my oldest on one of the Kats ;)

20130904_181609.jpg

trip 027.jpg

trip 010.jpg

trip 025.jpg

I really liked those old Cavalcades. What rare beast. Yes there are many old memories. I learned to kickstart a motorcycle on a 1956 AJS 500 single.

Wow what a beautiful family. And one soon to be added. I'm sure the voting will be unanimous. Family and memories are the only things that go with us as we leave this life,and yu have a great one. Hang around and let us know how they are doing

Great old bike pictures too.