IGNORED

Goldwing Quality?

zagger

A good riding friend just called and told me that he broke down on the road yesterday with his brand new 2018 Goldwing (only 750 miles on the odometer). Had to be trucked into a shop where they found that one of the pistons was completely burned thru. Apparently they are contacting Honda to see if the warranty will cover replacing the engine or the entire bike.

I've always imagined that Goldwings were bullet-proof and good for lots of miles. Seems like any motorcycle with a base price of $24K ought to be pretty thoroughly checked out. Who knows, maybe he was just unlucky with a once-in-a-million problem.

zag

This is the first year on the newley redesigned 1800 engine. It is narrower and I believe shorter, bout the only way to do that is to shorten the stroke and increase the bore size, like a stroker motor. Time will tell how reliable it is on the long run.

Bill

This is the first year on the newley redesigned 1800 engine. It is narrower and I believe shorter, bout the only way to do that is to shorten the stroke and increase the bore size, like a stroker motor. Time will tell how reliable it is on the long run.

Bill

Harley stroker's have a longer stroke and larger cylinders. It's hard too replace displacement for torque and power.:cool10:

Well, my friend isn't scared off by the troubles he has had. Honda is giving him a new bike and then he is heading to Spokane WA from here in Wisconsin in a few days. A girlfriend is flying out to meet him someplace that I forget, and then they plan to circle back through Canada. I guess that he still has the faith!

zag

Well, my friend isn't scared off by the troubles he has had. Honda is giving him a new bike and then he is heading to Spokane WA from here in Wisconsin in a few days. A girlfriend is flying out to meet him someplace that I forget, and then they plan to circle back through Canada. I guess that he still has the faith!

zag

That speaks highly of Honda in my book. Great customer satisfaction is paramount. :happy65::happy65:

:farmer:

I am happy for your friend and that Honda stepped up on the warranty issue. A whole new bike, that's way cool.

Bill

@jakester - Bill,, you get a chance to toss a leg on the new Wing yet? If so, what did you think?

I followed the unveiling of the new one very closely and even joined up on one of the Wing sites to participate in the thrill.. One of the things I questioned early on was the, from my understanding, loss of water jacket area between the jugs when Mom Honda shortened up the engine length. IMHO, preignition can and does destroy pistons and preignition factors include things like running low octane when high octane is required, ignition timing curve, compression ratios and load BUT = a hot motor can also be a factor (again, IMHO) is why I was wondering that. I know that one of the things that HD struggled with on their early water cooled heads bikes was related to this = the exhaust valve water "pocket" was to small and had a tendency to boil over when the bike was shut off/circulation had stopped. It would be interesting to know which jug failed (whether or not it was a pot that had mating jugs beside it) and whether or not overheating was involved...

Regardless,, I too think it is WAYYYYYYYYYYY cool that Mom Honda stepped up and just did the right thing with the new scoot.. :thumbsup:

Hey cowpuc, Scott

No I have not test ridden a new wing. My concerns are the reduced baggage compacity and the passenger area is also smaller. Lucretia may not like being cramped up, and I kinda like her with me on the road.

Bill