IGNORED

Help with clutch noise

After 70k miles my clutch slipped a few times when in higher gears. I pulled the clutch apart this evening to do the Barnett upgrade. Friction discs are all at .118 thickness. When I spin the clutch boss (inner drum) it sounds like something is loose behind it. It doesn't sound or feel like a bad bearing. If I move/spin the boss back and forth it sounds like something has rotational free play. My question is what's behind the clutch boss? Is that free play normal? Should I try to remove the clutch boss to investigate? I don't have a clutch holder tool and don't mind buying one if I need to get in there. I'm just not sure where I could pick one up tomorrow and I wanted to have this back together for a ride on Sunday. Thanks in advance.

So I went ahead and took it apart. The sound is coming from one of the gears on the transmission shaft. I figure it's just normal clearance but never having this apart before I wanted to make sure it wasn't something else.

After 115,000 miles on my RSV i have quite a bit of noise from clutch area. If I pull in the clutch the noise goes away. It is not bearing noise so I really don't worry about it. It may be slop in clutch basket between basket and plates. Other than that clutch is strong and does not slip.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been battling some clutch chatter in mine all season, had my mechanic take a look and he replaced the oil pump drive gear that's on the back of the clutch basket (outer cage) and seemed to quiet it down a bit. The noise is still there though so I'm wondering if the clutch basket it's self may be bad and therefore allowing that gear to slop around.

As for your slop in the transmission input shaft, mine is the same way so I'm guessing it's normal. I was worried that the slop in the input shaft was the problem but my guy says it feels normal to him. My next step is to take the clutch back out and see if I can shim that gear. The gear slop in the rotational direction was next to none, but there was some freedom in the axial direction so I'll work on getting rid of that.

Also, my mechanic told me that I have an aftermarket Barrnett clutch basket rather than the stock Yamaha part, That may have something to do with it.