IGNORED

Sena Headsets

Freebird

I've been looking at headsets to use in the Slingshot. Want intercom and music sharing. Looking for the no helmet type of headset.

Sena makes two versions. One is a SPH10 or something like that and the other is the Sena Expand.

They are close to the same price and I have found no reviews comparing the two models. Any of you have experience with them?

No experience with those exact headsets. But it looks like the Expand is water proof. I have the SMH 10 and it works well. Speakers are not great, but probably smaller than the ones your looking at. I have modified my headset/helmet so I can plug in ear buds to get better sound.

Freebird,

I have the Sena 20S in my helmet. It comes with speakers to install, but also has a port for earbuds. Speakers are kind of weak, but the battery life is fairly good and the BT connectivity has been flawless. Will work while charging which is important for the IB runs.

As far as I know, it only works within a helmet (which you should wear anyway :backinmyday:).

RR

I've been looking at headsets to use in the Slingshot. Want intercom and music sharing. Looking for the no helmet type of headset.

Sena makes two versions. One is a SPH10 or something like that and the other is the Sena Expand.

They are close to the same price and I have found no reviews comparing the two models. Any of you have experience with them?

I have no experience with these two products (I wear a helmet), but I have owned several Sena products, and from what I can see on the website, here are my thoughts:

The SPH10 has a dial for control, an AUX (MP3) port and a traditional microphone on a boom.

The Expand has buttons for control, no AUX port and a more stable-looking shorty microphone.

I'm guessing the Expand is the newer model, given the naming convention and the move towards buttons, but that's just a guess.

Well, I ended up ordering the SPH10. There are a couple of reasons that I chose them over the Expand.

1. It actually comes with two mics that are interchangeable. One is the longer "boom" mic. The other is a short "stub" mic. The reviews that I read stated that the longer mic actually works better when there is a lot of noise as you can get it close to your mouth and it doesn't pick up as much ambient noise.

2. I like the fact that it has the aux input port. Don't know that we'll use it because we mostly stream Pandora or Apple Music but we do have an Ipod with a LOT of our old music on it that we enjoy listening to from time to time.

3. The biggest reason. The SPH10 allows you to toggle between push to talk on the intercom and "VOX" control. Push to talk may work better if there is a lot of wind at freeway speeds but the "VOX" would be great for those slower rides in the country. The Expand is push to talk only.

Don,

You made a good choice by going with Sena. I started off many years ago with Scala Riders, but ran into Sena at a bike rally, and they were just getting into the motorcycle segment with their products, and had their prices really low to entice people to try them. I took the bait, and have never looked back. I have had 3 Sena sets over the years. The latest version we have is the 20S. Before that, I had the SMH10's. I have found their sound and functionality to be far better than Scala. I had know about the Sena name because they were one of the pioneering companies to invent and market bluetooth devices. They mainly marketed to companies who had phone agents wearing headsets and talking to customers all day. I work for Grainger, and our phoone agents have worn Sena Bluetooth headsets for years.

As far as VoX or push to talk. I leave the dang things in constant open mic mode, and have never had an instant where they ran out of battery before the day ended. Wait, lemme rephrase that; back in 2014, we did have an issue with my wifes headset running out while we were going across Utah late one night. But, we had started that day at about 7:00AM in Durango, and had ridden all day, seeing 4 Corners, Monument Valley, and got to running real late, and right before we got into Page, AZ, about 9:00 that night, her headset died. Other than that, we go open mic all day long.

Hope you like them.

Big Lenny

I have tried to leave ours in the voice activation. But the background noise seems to keep them active all the time. So I have them set up push to talk. Otherwise the music wont play. I had same issue on the J&M on the RSV, I had to put mic mutes in with a button. That and someone dont understand about having the mic close to their mouth to cut back on side noise.

I have the Sena SMH10's that we use with helmets and like them a lot, but sometimes found the wind noise got a bit too much in VOX mode at speed. So we cut the finger off a thin leather glove, punched one hole in it and slid it over the foam ball over the mic, ensuring the hole is facing your mouth. It cut down on wind noise a lot and is an easy fix.

Brian

Well, they got here a couple of days ago but haven't had time to mess with them yet. Took one set out of the box and paired them to my phone and listened to music for a couple of minutes. Not sure I like how they fit. I wish they completely covered the ears instead of just sitting on them but I'll get used to that as long as they work ok.

I have had to put the wind sock things on every miv I have had. Really cant say I have noticed the difference whit any of the things I have tried. A piece of like 1/2" heat shrink with a hole cut in it over the mic probably works as well as the ones I bought a guy "guaranteed" me would solve the woosh. LOL

I have the SMH10 with modular helmets and the only time wind noise has been a problem was when the mic was in the wrong spot. Just a matter of moving it around until the noise goes away, usually down a bit. The mic's have a clip on shield that goes on the far side of the mic and then I've always run them with the sock over it all.

Two of my riding buddies here have them. They rave about them and now I know why. They both had two sets and let me use one. The sound quality and clearness of the voice was just like they were sitting right there talking to me. What I like is not having to key a mic to talk. We were all synce together and could talk back and forth freely. I am now looking into getting one myself. But there are other on the market that work the same way and the bluetooth standard make them all compatible. I was amazed at the sound. Unbeatable. The Sena are more expensive than most, but if you look on Amazon they have all the brands and some are very low priced and supposed to work the same. That is the way I am leaning.

As mentioned, the speakers in the SENA headsets are kind of weak (doesn't matter if you are using earbuds). They are difficult to hear if you are wearing earplugs, and the fidelity is very limited.

Just saw a video of a replacement speaker system for the SENA. Basically, you buy a fairly inexpensive pair of Panasonic over the ear headphones and pull the speakers out of it. Un-solder the speakers from the SENA and solder in the Panasonics.

That may be a winter 2018/19 project.

RR

Well, they got here a couple of days ago but haven't had time to mess with them yet. Took one set out of the box and paired them to my phone and listened to music for a couple of minutes. Not sure I like how they fit. I wish they completely covered the ears instead of just sitting on them but I'll get used to that as long as they work ok.

One and only quirk I have noticed with Bluetooth m/c headsets is there is a slight delay (analog-digital-analog) noticeable any time your ears can hear your conversation opponent (their actual voice), coming in around the speakers for lack of a better explanation.

K