IGNORED

looking for a Casita or a Scamp

Bubber

I have been looking for a Casita (preferred) or a Scamp for a month or so.

Can't find one that is at a reasonable price.

Anybody out there know of one that ain't 4 gazillion miles from Minnesota?

There seems to be a lot of them in Texas where they are made.

Bubber

You are right. They are both fibreglass small campers.. There are numerous ones out there and it all started as a fibreglass septic tank that turned into a boler. They were the first in around the beginning of the 70s (first one built was in 1967). We have a Trillium which was built in 1980. There is quite the online gathering for these little trailers. This year is the 50th anniversary and a large gathering is planned near Winnipeg. We really love our little Egg.. Casita and Scamp are somewhat newer and there are others like Bigfoot and Uhaul and Burro.

Ah OK. First one I remember seeing was at my base in Oklahoma. MWR (rec dept) had a couple you could rent. We had a Rockwood or something pop up at the time. I think we had more room in it. If we get one now, its got to have indoor plumbing.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I finally found a Scamp at a reasonable price.

16 foot

Air conditioning

bathroom

stove

furnace

they gave me all their camping supplies because they are a couple in their 80's and won't be camping anymore.

nice couple.

found it in a little town in northern Minnesota up by my X-in-laws so I went and spent a couple days with them.

Now all I need is some people to visit from the VentureRiders as I work my way west through South Dakota, Wyoming. Montana and where ever else I go.

I have a daughter in Denver so that is on my list to stop.

I'll be spending the next few days cleaning it up, washing the bedding and doing the dishs, and setting up the camper the way I want.

No I did not take any pictures yet but TRUST ME I did find one. LOL

I post some pictures as soon as I get the camper cleaned out.

Any buddy have a good way to clean off the oxidation off of the fiberglass and polish the exterior?

We have a trillium.

Wash it well

scrub with a white scrubby (Green is too harsh) and Bar keepers friend. Hardware store carries this. I like the powder.

five or six very thin coats of Zep wet look floor finish. Stuff goes on like water. We used microfibre cloths. Dipped and almost rung out. Start on one corner or roof and go around and over to where you started. Then keep going. It will look like new and last for years. If you want you can add a coat every 2 or 3 years. Buy it at Lowes or Home Depot

Ours was nasty. Even had moss on the Roof. Very chalky. Now looks like new.

If the fiberglass has a gel coat on it...as long as that isn't worn down...you should be able to use any good cleaner for fiberglass and some household cleaners like Oxyclean, Bar Keepers, or any boat cleaners, etc.. Without a gel coat..test in a small area. I'm not knowledgeable on trailers and such. Still learning as we are going in that direction, too.

With my boat, I've found the best cleaners on my 1974 hull are not boat related. Oxyclean and products like the Zep cleaner will work best. The Zep should be your best bet to clean the grime and the oxidation. Test in an area....dilute, spray on and give it a few minutes to clean...keeping it wet with occasional squirts of the diluted product. Then scrub and rinse. Let us know how that works...

I have been looking for a Casita (preferred) or a Scamp for a month or so.

Can't find one that is at a reasonable price.

Anybody out there know of one that ain't 4 gazillion miles from Minnesota?

There seems to be a lot of them in Texas where they are made.

Bubber

I just found this and it is a day late and a dollar short. https://spacecoast.craigslist.org/rvs/d/2004-casita-liberty-17ft/6630931139.html

Glad you found the camper. I saw a couple in a cross country adventure of mine last week. Make sure you manually repack your bearings, don't trust the zerk fittings if it has them, they tend to blow grease all over the brakes and that is not good. Be safe, uplaod a pic or 2

I spent all of yesterday taking everything out of the trailer and washed everything that was cloth. took the cushions out and brought them in the house. They look brand new, I was surprised just how good they looked. Washed all the stuff I could get into the dishwasher, pots pans, silverware, etc. It was 100 degrees in the shade here and I was just soaked. spent the rest of the day inside doing the cleaning.

Man it was HOT!!!!!!

I found a product on line to remove the oxidation on the gel-coat. going to try it as soon as the temp goes down a little.

still lots of work to do to clean it up but it will be worth it.

as soon as I get it cleaned up I'll post some pictures. Before and After.

Thanks everyone.

Bubber

I spent all of yesterday taking everything out of the trailer and washed everything that was cloth. took the cushions out and brought them in the house. They look brand new, I was surprised just how good they looked. Washed all the stuff I could get into the dishwasher, pots pans, silverware, etc. It was 100 degrees in the shade here and I was just soaked. spent the rest of the day inside doing the cleaning.

Man it was HOT!!!!!!

I found a product on line to remove the oxidation on the gel-coat. going to try it as soon as the temp goes down a little.

still lots of work to do to clean it up but it will be worth it.

as soon as I get it cleaned up I'll post some pictures. Before and After.

Thanks everyone.

Bubber

I use Poli glow on my motor home makes it look good. https://poliglow-int.com/