IGNORED

Who in Canada has motorcycle insurance they're happy with?

Semi-retired

Can I cut to the chase? (I don't THINK this is as "sensitive" as comparing paycheques.... :-)......so, I'm wondering if any Canadian Venture owners are willing and able to publish the name of their insurance company and the amount of their premium.

I'm currently with The Personal and they just bumped my cost up 20%. It WAS $802.......it's going up to $960.

Any Canadians doing better than that with some other company?

Thanks for any info. (I've got 8 days to find a better provider.)

Cheers,

Michael

What kind of coverage do you Mike?

Just 3rd party liability with 1mil coverage.

The bike's so old now (2003) that there's not much point (if it's even POSSIBLE) getting collision.

If I rack it up....and can't fix it myself....I'll just hang up the keys!

Guest divey

The thing with insurance companies is you can be happy with them until you file a claim. That's when things can either turn out positive or negative with them. I've been with Echelon Insurance Co. for the past few years. I just renewed for my 2007 RSV, 2 million liability, collision coverage and declared $2000.00 in accessories and it cost me $481.00 for 12 months. I've never had a claim with them so don't know how they perform that way but I'm happy for now. As a matter of interest, we have our house and vehicle insurances through the Personal (have been with them for close to 25 years) and have always had great service including a couple of claims matters. They couldn't touch the m/c insurance rates though. Hope this helps. Doug

Can I cut to the chase? (I don't THINK this is as "sensitive" as comparing paycheques.... :-)......so, I'm wondering if any Canadian Venture owners are willing and able to publish the name of their insurance company and the amount of their premium.

I'm currently with The Personal and they just bumped my cost up 20%. It WAS $802.......it's going up to $960.

Cheers,

Michael

Sorry can't help.

Here in BC we have the dreaded ICBC (Insurance Corp. of BC) effectively a Gov't department! (I know it's not, but it may as well be) Inefficient, expensive, uncaring & a monopoly! We CAN opt to take our "optional coverage" (collision & comprehensive) to a third party insurer, which most of us do, but our Basic 3rd party insurance MUST be through ICBC.

We have been informed that ICBC's insurance premiums are increasing FOUR times this year (that, to compensate for the $1.3 BILLION Loss these clowns made last year) What private business do you know that can make that sort of loss & stay in business?

Last year my BASIC 3rd party injury insurance (with $2 million liability) on my RSTD cost me $1046 & that is after a 43% discount, (for age & driving experience) otherwise it would have been $1861.00!!!!!!!!!!!!!! For a vehicle that gets used once or twice a week that is extortion to my way of thinking. On top of my basic ICBC insurance I pay another $400 for collision & comprehensive from a private insurer.

This year due to the increases I have not yet insured either of my bikes. We have been told that ICBC's costs have increased by 35-40% so, I expect the cost for basic to be around $1450! & that is after my "good driver" discounts. (Most of my friends are paying $125-$140 per month for basic coverage).

Talk about getting screwed! We are being priced off the road!

Edited by Kretz

TD Insurance. $500/yr. 1 million liability, comprehensive with all perils and collision. $250 deductible. I get a multi vehicle discount for having all vehicles with them.

Cheers,

Michael

For my '06 RSV with full coverage, $1000.00 deductible, one million liability, it went up to $1271 this year. $160 more then last year. State Farm or what ever they call themselves now. ???? Agent said they rearranged their territories plus 8% increase. I live in the country and what ever territory I used to be in was one of the lowest cost ones. But I'll bet they have lumped us in with the city of Windsor and you know what that means.

Been with State Farm for 40 years. Everything is with them but they have changed underwriter in Canada and now the prices are going up. Time to go shopping.

This'll kill you Guys, and we apologize for being juuuust slightly off the thread, but...

...after nearly 60 years riding, and 20 odd bikes ranging up to a naked Wing, '08 FJR, '09 RSTD, and... (with apologies to the Purists); these days we ride a 2012 400 cc Yamaha Majesty ("Madge") Scoot, capable of nearly 100 mph w/all day cruise at 70-80 mph. For the Thread; we pay just over $300/yr!~

Laugh if you feel obligated, but... we've come home from Walmart with FOUR plastic shopping bags of stuff under seat, riding thru a rain squall for nearly 20 miles without getting uncomfortably "wet".

FWIW: yeah, we still miss the 'feel' of throwing a leg over, BUT since it would hurt like Hallelujah to do that, we cope cuz it's still 'riding'.

However - at Year #75 , there are no plans to attempt any cross-Continent runs on Madge. We do know of one guy who last year rode home to our dealership in Trenton, Ontario, from FLORIDA. Those WERE The Days.~

Rgds, WRIDR

I insured my new (to me) 2008 RSV today. 2mil liability, full collision and comp coverage, $500 deductable. $690 per year through AMA Insurance. It seems reasonable for the moment. I will keep shopping quotes.

On the other hand, I emailed my commercial insurance (business coverage) agent with a BLAST today. I got my yearly premium notice, and it had increased 77% year-over-year. W.T.F.?? No claims - ever - and no change to the nature/volume of my business. NOT OK.

There is value in insuring with a company who has a good reputation for settling claims promptly, but remember, there is ZERO loyalty in insurance, and every dollar you spend over the best value you can find is a wasted dollar. My stepmother has been in the insurance industry her whole life, and will happily tell you this.

Edited by SilveradoCA

Been riding for 46 years and insured for all of it.

Renewal just came. $1335 full coverage through The Personal. Was $1329 last year so not much change.

Unfortunately I live in Brampton which has the highest rates in all of North America.

It is time to remove insurance rates by postal code in this province.

Been riding for 46 years and insured for all of it.

Renewal just came. $1335 full coverage through The Personal. Was $1329 last year so not much change.

Unfortunately I live in Brampton which has the highest rates in all of North America.

It is time to remove insurance rates by postal code in this province.

OUCH!! I’ve got full replacement coverage through GEICO and it only added $50 a month to my policy!

2009 Venture, no accidents, no claims. $1 million liability, full fire/theft/collision with $500 deductible, $2500 in "accessories", with Riders Plus/Echelon. $1,074 (including taxes) a year which is actually less than a year ago.

Here in B.C. the fiberal ( liberal) government looted the coffers at I.C.B.C. and transferred millions in profit into general revenue to make themselves look better then announced that I.C.B.C. was broke and needed to raise their rates.

Sorry can't help.

Talk about getting screwed! We are being priced off the road!

Wow. That's insane! Time to take up sky diving as a cheaper sport, apparently.

Re "used twice a week", my guy at The Personal told me that my driving the bike under 2000 kliks has "no impact" on rates. Senseless. (Especially if bikes are as "deadly" as they claim they are.)

Guess I won't be trying to source my insurance on the Left Coast!

Thanks for your feedback, buddy......sorry about your Gov't!

2009 Venture, no accidents, no claims. $1 million liability, full fire/theft/collision with $500 deductible, $2500 in "accessories", with Riders Plus/Echelon. $1,074 (including taxes) a year which is actually less than a year ago.

Wow, I wonder why the big discrepancy with "divey" who's with the same carrier?

Doug's in Leduc, Alberta....but do you suppose postal code-only makes THAT big a difference? (like....100%)

Guest divey

Must have something to do with location. Basically same coverage, no claims, no tickets and no accidents. I’m over 65 though and you know how us seniors are such good drivers, lol 😂.

Wow, I wonder why the big discrepancy with "divey" who's with the same carrier?

Doug's in Leduc, Alberta....but do you suppose postal code-only makes THAT big a difference? (like....100%)

Must have something to do with location. Basically same coverage, no claims, no tickets and no accidents. I’m over 65 though and you know how us seniors are such good drivers, lol 😂.

I HOPE "seniority" is the key factor. I'm 70! (Of course, I may be getting too close to the OTHER high-risk end of the age curve.....LOL)

That's it....the cost of being a youth.....I'm so much younger than you....I'm only 58.

Must be the provincial/location differences. Kitchener is about an hour West of Toronto so GTA / Golden Triangle (Toronto/Niagara Falls-Hamilton-Toronto) impact as well.

So today I was quoted business insurance at half the price I was paying, well I'll be totally honest, well less than half. Got to say that the quote didn't quite have all the goodies added on that the last one did, stuff that costs next to nothing and we would never or very seldom have a need for. But LESS than Half???? we have been taken for a few years now. I think we will change!!! Gonna save over $6000 the next year.

That's it....the cost of being a youth.....I'm so much younger than you....I'm only 58.

Must be the provincial/location differences. Kitchener is about an hour West of Toronto so GTA / Golden Triangle (Toronto/Niagara Falls-Hamilton-Toronto) impact as well.

Hey, Don, I'm a Kitchener born and raised boy...but you can't tell me I'm paying more because I live in "sleepy-hollow" St. Catharines! :-)

There's just as much traffic whistling by on Hwy 8 and the 401 as there is down here on the QEW.

Plus......100% difference? Crazy. I've lived in Calgary (granted, not Leduc).....and I've live in both Kitchener and Niagara for 20 years each. I don't/didn't see cause for that big a fluctuation in rates.

Would LOVE to see someone in the insurance industry pitch in a comment here. Anyone? Ferris?

There's just as much traffic whistling by on Hwy 8 and the 401 as there is down here on the QEW....Would LOVE to see someone in the insurance industry pitch in a comment here....

Don't tell anyone in insurance that there is that much traffic here. They might raise my rates !

Just had a long, informative chat with one of Echelon's Ontario brokers, Dalton Timmis.

"Dave" said not to kid myself: "Even though the insurance "industry" isn't OWNED by the gov't of Ontario, the way it is in BC.....the rates we pay are just as regulated/influenced by Queen's Park."

So, I guess our friends in Alta will have cheaper rates on ALL vehicles, based on THEIR friends in the Provincial Legislature. (Lucky YOU, Mr Ivey!)

Interestingly, he quoted me with Aviva as well as Echelon....and the rates were similar. Aviva even gives a first accident forgiveness and minor conviction forgiveness. (Interesting........not that I'm planning an accident or a conviction!! :-)

1 million CAD in liability? That may be why.

$200 USD ($260 CAD) yearly got me $25k in liability on my RSTD which is all my state requires. My 1999 Venture will be here in the next week or so and I'll be adding it to my insurance policy. To be "happy" I plan to carry double that in coverage along with uninsured coverage.

Edited by AABBCC