IGNORED

You folks have GOT to watch this video, on the suspension, 2018 Wing...

This video reveal alone, would have been one reason that I passed on this 'Wing' version. There were more reasons...but this alone, would have been fatal in the decision to purchase ramp up....

Your bike gets delivered to the Honda dealer in the crate...they open the crate...new bike...new suspension parts...and you can now ride that bike down to this chap, and for an extra $2,800.00, over your out-the-dealer-door, you can have a suspension that actually suspends... wow...that is soooo cool...(fail).

Joe

Edited by YamahaParExcellence

There's another thread on this. This guy sells the stuff that you really need in his opinion to get your bike to ride like he likes. You know what they say about opinions.

BluSky..this isn't just...an opinion...he is showing you...that by merely sitting a 160 pound rider on the bike...showing you...the shocks collapse..and sit bottomed out...this is not merely...an opinion. This is eye-witness metrics!

Now add my 270 pounds, my wife's 135 pounds, full gear, even in those reduced side and top trunk....oh lord, we'd be riding like a Sherman Tank.

I have my SVTC at 4.5 or about half of its travel..and the bike doesn't even settle upon the suspension. No one should have to ride their bike to a 3rd party to GET a suspension that has travel for the intended purpose. This was just one of the reasons, I did not go again with a 2018 Wing...

Edited by YamahaParExcellence

Traxxion suspension makes a world of difference on a Wing but IMO that vid is just a sales pitch. I'd "venture" to say that the stock suspension would be sufficient for the average rider just as it has been over the past x number of years.

• 3 weeks later...

That bike has manually adjustable spring preload. He indicates in video he had it set in the middle. What happens when you add spring preload? Does he have the same video of the Traxxion set up on the same bike somewhere to compare? Does he have any shock dyno plots of the stock suspension vs Traxxion? For that kind of investment I would want some data.

Suspension is a compromise of package space limitations and ride height that suits the widest range of users. Use of bump stops on the shaft to limit travel and add spring rate and damping at the limits of travel is common. Look at miata suspensions and other sport cars with limited travel. Bump stop material, length and stiffness selection is also key. Wrong Bumpstops can make a suspension harsh. If you have the money, the suspension mod may make it better. Question is does it make it $2800 better? I don't particularly care for the styling of the bike so that and $25K would keep me from buying one. If its like any other Honda, it is probably smooth, very well balanced and well sorted for 90% of the intended users. I thought the stock suspension on my ST1100 was great. There are a number of ST1100 forum posts and riders out there touting suspension mods that would suggest my perception of the stock suspension was wrong.