IGNORED

Hello, new here. Have a question about the ride height on my VR.

Terry Love

I have a 91 VR. I'm 5'11" but have an inseam of only 28 1/12. With a seat height of 29, I can't stand flat footed and it really bothers me. I have the air suspension at its lowest possible setting. I thoroughly love riding it but I really am uncomfortable coming to a stop and fearing that my foot will land on some gravel and I will lay it down. Long story of how I ended up with this bike but I really wanted the V4. I should have gotten a Royal Star. Anyway, my question is can the frame be modified so I can lower the bike a couple inches. My plan was to sell it and get a RS but I'm having no luck getting rid of it. It runs great but it just sets because I don't feel comfortable riding it. So if I sell it and purchase a different I will be spending more than I get for it, so my thought is to spend the additional money to modify this bike. Any ideas. Thanks for any help.

I think you can lower the front by raising the fork legs in the clamps. Maybe you can install stiffer springs in the forks and reduce the spacer length for a little more lowering. I don't know if lowering links are available to lower the rear. Others will chime in who know much more than I do.

I do not know about modding the frame to lower the seat height, I have never heard of that being done. That does not mean it cant be done, I just never heard of it. A number of us have sent their seats into @Rick Butler and he can mod the seat for better comfort and get it lower.

Then there is always the option of getting riding boots with thicker soles.

On the first gens you can not raise the fork tubes in the triple tree. I have not heard of a set of lowering links for the first gens. Raising the tubes and changing the links are only for the 2nd gens. Your 91 is a 1st gen.

I think you can lower the front by raising the fork legs in the clamps. Maybe you can install stiffer springs in the forks and reduce the spacer length for a little more lowering. I don't know if lowering links are available to lower the rear. Others will chime in who know much more than I do.

Thanks for the info. I will check those options out.

I do not know about modding the frame to lower the seat height, I have never heard of that being done. That does not mean it cant be done, I just never heard of it. A number of us have sent their seats into @Rick Butler and he can mod the seat for better comfort and get it lower.

Then there is always the option of getting riding boots with thicker soles.

On the first gens you can not raise the fork tubes in the triple tree. I have not heard of a set of lowering links for the first gens. Raising the tubes and changing the links are only for the 2nd gens. Your 91 is a 1st gen.

Thanks, I've thought about the boots idea but along with the seat mode that might just do the trick. Again, thanks.

I have a 91 VR. I'm 5'11" but have an inseam of only 28 1/12. With a seat height of 29, I can't stand flat footed and it really bothers me. I have the air suspension at its lowest possible setting. I thoroughly love riding it but I really am uncomfortable coming to a stop and fearing that my foot will land on some gravel and I will lay it down. Long story of how I ended up with this bike but I really wanted the V4. I should have gotten a Royal Star. Anyway, my question is can the frame be modified so I can lower the bike a couple inches. My plan was to sell it and get a RS but I'm having no luck getting rid of it. It runs great but it just sets because I don't feel comfortable riding it. So if I sell it and purchase a different I will be spending more than I get for it, so my thought is to spend the additional money to modify this bike. Any ideas. Thanks for any help.

I always felt that way about my 89 Venture. Got myself a Kawasaki Nomad and I was really happy I did. Started enjoying my riding instead of worrying about dropping the bike, especially in parking lots and at stops.

I always felt that way about my 89 Venture. Got myself a Kawasaki Nomad and I was really happy I did. Started enjoying my riding instead of worrying about dropping the bike, especially in parking lots and at stops.

Well, I went the other way. I had a Nomad and loved it but always had in the back of my mind how comfortable a V4 would be. If I can't get this one sorted out then I will check out a Royal Star. If that doesn't make me happy it will be back to a Nomad. Mine had an electrical fire and now I wish I would have just spent the money to fix it. I would be way ahead that this point.

• 5 weeks later...

getting in on this late. You can remove some seat foam yourself if you have the tools. A sanding disc on a cordless drill. The seat cover is just stapled. So you need a good electric stapler to shoot 1/4" depth staples. The driver section is NOT very deep. So maybe the Gel pads you can buy could be used rather that the stock foam. FYI it's a somewhat messy job. Wear a dust mask.