IGNORED

Maintenance Day Guest Etiquette?

luvmy40

Freebird's upcoming maintenance day will be my first chance to meet some of the people I've been getting to know here and I'd like to ask a simple, but important question.

Is there anything, specifically or generally that I should bring? I plan on bringing all of my specialty tools and a small set of sockets wrenches and sundry tools. Over an above my rolling emergency repair kit. Really anything that should be needed for most any maintenance task except for jacks, dollies and other "shop" equipment.

Is it customary to bring a gift for the host?

I am assuming there will be local sources of victuals so I don't plan on packing food, but should I bring a hibachi or camp stove? My usual road trip load out is just a pup tent and bed roll. I count on having a bbq grill available at a camp site or perusing the local dinning establishments.

I will be riding and do not pull a trailer so I'm limited to what I can pack on the Beast.

It is NOT customary to bring a gift for the host. There are two gas BBQ grills that you are welcome to use as well as a charcoal grill if you prefer. This is really casual, don't overthink it. Just show up and have a good time. Food will be provided on Saturday for lunch and there are usually leftovers for those who want more in the evening. There is no set charge and everybody is welcome to eat but there is a donation can for those who wish to help with the expenses. There are soft drinks and water available but you must provide your own beer or whatever if you so choose.

What Don said!!

Lemme see, proper etiquette for Md. Hmmm... Well, there is basic BS, advanced BS, and professional BS! Bring along a friendly smile and be prepared to use it a lot! Make sure your tongue stays lubricated because you will have to use it a lot along with lips and lungs!

As far as tools, well just some basic ones and maybe if you have some kind of specialty tool that would be fine but there will be plenty of tools there as most of us bring some. MD is designed to do some basic stuff only, not major projects like valve jobs. Generally, it is tune-ups, oil changes, an occasional clutch replacement, etc but sometimes a semi-major project might come up.

If you have surplus stuff you want to give away you can bring it. There generally is a table to put things you either want to give away or sell. There is also a prize giveaway that we buy tickets for a chance to win. There is usually more than one prize providing Don is planning one this year as usual.

Be prepared to meet one of the nicest Motley Crews you ever could expect to meet in your life and be prepared to meet some lifetime friends as well!! As said many times before, this ain't no website, this is a family!!!

IMHO, I think you pose an often overlooked and very important question here 40. These lop eared MD going varmints are always messin with new riders to MD's minds and I strongly suggest you follow the advice of he who is great and powerful and show in the vid below.. Concerning the real answer to your question:

It is customary to bring gifts,,, and very valuable gifts, to give to whoever has the most stickers on their motorcycle. Said gifts in the past have been mundane things like gift ear aches from having to listen to certain members doing this :Im not listening to and other more casual gifts like the gift of sleeplessness given by those who snore loudly..

In reading your screen name = Love my 40,,,, I cant help but wonder if that "40" doesnt stand for .40 caliber,,, as in .40 caliber Smith and Wesson.. If this is so,,, I personally would see nothing wrong with sharing that love with the person at MD who shows up on the most stickered covered bike by presenting them with a new handgun chambered in .40 Smith.. I think this would make a great way to celebrate your first MD.. :big-grin-emoticon::witch_brew::crackup::crackup::stirthepot::guitarist 2::usa:

I had thought that Freebird had put it very nicely, although I did have a thought to add to his comments, but then I came up with the idea to leave well enough alone,,,, until,,,, the previous 2 additions. Now I need to jump in and wan you of what is to come. You had best get yourself a good set of hip-waders, and that has nothing to do with the fact that often times newbies are sacrificed for pond-monster fodder food,, but has more to do with keeping your butt out of the BS that seems to flow freely. I really think that the real reason Don has this event is to fertilize his lawn, and fertilize it does with the likes of the forgoing speech makers, add Saddlebum into the mix and it sure can get deep.

So you'll need to bring a workbench, bench press, brake, drill press, vice, sledge hammer, small hammer, nuts, bolts and screws, grease gun, used oil container, air-compressor, air-impact gun, headlight aimer, tail-light adjuster, summer air for your tires, antifreeze taster, new brake fluid for your clutch, tire alignment corrector. Don't worry if you don't have it all together though, most of the others that show up don't either.

I had thought that Freebird had put it very nicely, although I did have a thought to add to his comments, but then I came up with the idea to leave well enough alone,,,, until,,,, the previous 2 additions. Now I need to jump in and wan you of what is to come. You had best get yourself a good set of hip-waders, and that has nothing to do with the fact that often times newbies are sacrificed for pond-monster fodder food,, but has more to do with keeping your butt out of the BS that seems to flow freely. I really think that the real reason Don has this event is to fertilize his lawn, and fertilize it does with the likes of the forgoing speech makers, add Saddlebum into the mix and it sure can get deep.

So you'll need to bring a workbench, bench press, brake, drill press, vice, sledge hammer, small hammer, nuts, bolts and screws, grease gun, used oil container, air-compressor, air-impact gun, headlight aimer, tail-light adjuster, summer air for your tires, antifreeze taster, new brake fluid for your clutch, tire alignment corrector. Don't worry if you don't have it all together though, most of the others that show up don't either.

Obviously,, it would be in your best interest to review the following wholesome and solemn advice:

And don't get any ice cream that you were planning to eat near Big Tom.....

Errr, and,.............

Don't drink the Black Death......... And look out for pond monsters.....

Did I leave anything out?

Indeed oh sweet brother of mine, Sir DragonSlayer you did.. DO NOT,, under any circumstances or any condition enter any form of hugging contest with those purdy VR ladies.. Doing so is futile as there is only one Master of Huggitry (aka Puc) and there is no sense in suffering the shame and sheer disappointment of defeat therein..

Now that about covers it..

I just woke up from a nap and had to wade thru crap..... Gotta know tho do some newbies fall for this? I always thought love 40 meant his bottle... [emoji23][emoji23] or 1940 roadster.

Never ride faster then your angel can fly. I am as free as the wind on my face.

Indeed oh sweet brother of mine, Sir DragonSlayer you did.. DO NOT,, under any circumstances or any condition enter any form of hugging contest with those purdy VR ladies.. Doing so is futile as there is only one Master of Huggitry (aka Puc) and there is no sense in suffering the shame and sheer disappointment of defeat therein..

Now that about covers it..

Now why did you have to bring that up? Do I once again have to demonstrate just what it means to hug? After all, you know, well at you should know, who is the Master Hugster. I had thought that once defeated you would let sleeping dogs lie, (not in the least am I suggesting or even remotely thinking that our ladies have any comparison to our fourlegged friends) but no, once again you are setting yourself up for disappointment. No matter though, I will be there to give on-site demonstrations, as to the right and proper procedure, so that some day you might be able to qualify for the position.

I see you're from Y-town. I spent the first 35 years of my life there. Grew up across the street from Pemberton Park. Graduated from Wilson, (Class of 80).

I'm not sure that I'll be able to make it this year, but if I do I'll have to look ya up.:beer:

So if I aint got no Etiquette is it ok to still come

Really looking forward to it

Don't worry none about it my Texas Hero,,, I got enough etiquette to keep us both out of harms way... Besides,, after some of the incorrect comments being made above about who really is the Huggin Master and all that stuff,,,,, I am thinking of holding free on site etiquette and code interpretation classes during the rally that you may find informative and/or entertaining.. :happy34:

So if I aint got no Etiquette is it ok to still come

Really looking forward to it

If you are coming, which it looks like you are, and you have some of that Etiquette, it would be nice for you to bring a lump of it. Reason being = there are very few that have any to share and it sure would be VR style to bring something that other could use.

Now that being said, there are some who have it but don't show it, there's those that show it but don't have it, but then there's those who don't have it and don't show it , so we dump them into the pond!!!