IGNORED

Very sad news.....

Freebird

Folks, it hurts me more than I can say to have to report this news but it has to be done. We lost one of our longest and most active members today. Yammer Dan has forever left our group and this world. I don't have all the details yet but understand that he had, at long last, found and purchased a trike somewhere down in Tennessee. He, his wife, and his son or son in law drove down to get it. Yammer paid for the trike and headed home and I understand only made it about 4 miles when something happened. It is very unclear right now but it is possible that he had some type of medical condition that possibly caused him to come off the trike.

It is with such a heavy heart that I report this sad news. Yammer has had more than his share of bad luck over the past few years. More than many people could take. I understand that he was so very excited that he had finally found a good deal on the trike of his dreams and was so very excited about surprising all of us at Maintenance Day. Yammer was the first to admit that he was generally a loner and did not easily take to groups of any kind but he had found a group within VentureRiders that he felt accepted and comfortable with. I am so thankful for that and that we were able to count him amongst our many friends.

There will be more posted as more is learned but for now, please keep his wife and family in your thoughts and if you are so inclined to do so, please say a prayer for the entire family. I will miss him. I'm sure that many of you will as well.

So sorry to hear the sad news. prayer to his family.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am in shock, to say the least. Dan was a very special character. I enjoyed watching his post for Skid. I could tell the guy generally cared for everyone. Specially his Friend Skid, I am at a loss for words as I never got to meet him but I know how bad he wanted a Trike so he could get back out in the wind and to what he loved. Talked to him a few times in chat, He will be missed.

I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO SAY. I can not contain my grief at hearing this news and my coworkers are wondering why I am now crying quietly at my desk. It seems I was either in or near by at all the pictures that were posted where Yammer was lurking around the edges. I was with him when the bear stole his gloves at Vogel. I was also there when he showed at Vogel riding Brown Sugar with a crutch stuck in the passenger hand rails. I was with him when he slept on the floor of the barn at B2 Mom&Pops. I was there with him at that Skid in when my lower rail weld broke and he helped me weld it back together. That was the time when the disgruntled hotel clerk erased all the room card keys and a lot of us had to spend most of the night in the lobby. I was there when he caged it to maintenance day and camped in the back of his truck and stayed up all night on guard duty for pond monsters. All the times we two loaners ate together at the M & E function meals we were at together. I was with him at Asheville when we stayed up all night by the campfire listing to the frogs

Croak.

I just read through this entire post and even though several asked there has been no funeral arrangements information posted. I feel compelled to say that we need a group ride or meet to honor of the passing of our good friend.

Prayers up for his loved ones.

This place won't be the same without him.

Got a phone call Sunday night about this....even tho I'm not on here much anymore I try and keep in touch with a few. Dan was a friend. Helpful to all that needed it. Gail and I always enjoyed talking with him whenever we ran into him at meets. Sometimes it would take him a while to warm up to new people, once that happened you were friends for life with him and a better friend you could not find. We will both miss him tremendously and most of all if we show up at a meet with him not there. Dan and I always kept in touch on FB and I will sure miss his posts. Prayers for his loving wife that I talked to a couple of times years ago on the phone and for his family in their time of sorrow. May God grant them some peace in knowing that Dan is pain free and happily riding on the curves in heaven.

Went to Harrogate, TN today and talked to the guy Dan bought the bike from. He had not heard it was Dan that crashed until yesterday and was very torn up about it. He found out when he got a call from Progressive wanting the bill of sale info. This may indicate that Dan may have put full coverage on the trike.

I went by the place I was told the crash happened and the only thing I could see was some score marks on the rusty guard rail. No telling where they came from. This was on a pretty much straight section on a four lane with a grass island.

With a suggestion from the seller, I did find the trike. The lot was closed and I took this picture with my phone and as you can see, there is very little detail. There is damage to the rear fender, the right side of the fairing and maybe some around the engine guard. I was at least 75 to 100 feet from the bike shooting thru a fence.

Randy

20180509_165221 (1).jpeg

I feel compelled to say that we need a group ride or meet to honor of the passing of our good friend.

Prayers up for his loved ones.

This place won't be the same without him.

I agree even tho I never got the oportunity to meet him, I would do my darndest to ride also. I also agree I got on here hoping it was just a bad dream. Hoping to see his post.....:(

Went to Harrogate, TN today and talked to the guy Dan bought the bike from. He had not heard it was Dan that crashed until yesterday and was very torn up about it. He found out when he got a call from Progressive wanting the bill of sale info. This may indicate that Dan may have put full coverage on the trike.

I went by the place I was told the crash happened and the only thing I could see was some score marks on the rusty guard rail. No telling where they came from. This was on a prett much straight section on a four lane with a grass island.

With a suggestion from the seller, I did find the trike. The lot was closed and I took this picture with my phone and as you can see, there is very little detail. There is damage to the rear fender, the right side of the fairing and maybe some around the engine guard. I was at least 75 to 100 feet from the bike shooting thru a fence.

Randy

OUTSTANDING Randy, well done brother!! Thank you so much for doing what no one really ever wants to do but out of love for our fallen family member and having Dan's back, you went looking for answers. Double checking for possibility of things not right and letting your family back here know what you found so we could somehow maybe find a little more peace knowing that the way it went down was looked into by one of his dearest friends does exactly that,, at least in my case... THANK YOU for your thoughtfulness and genuine love for Dan and your extended family here Randy! I know one thing for sure,,, our Yammer Dan would have done exactly the same thing had this nightmare had found one of us in that saddle instead of him.

Well done Venturous Randy,,, well done!!

Love ya brother!

Puc

It's hard to say goodbye my friend

to a brother one loves so dear.

The times we shared while living life,

but we knew these times were near.

Going out with our boots on,

like you and I talked it thru.

Beyond my tears my heart can still smile,

in it's memories of knowing you.

Before we met at the Dragon's Tail

or smacked our heads at that Chiken place.

I knew what you were gonna look like,

though you jokingly hid your face.

You simply could not hide from us,

who you really are.

The real Yammer Dan was crystal clear,

to those both near and far.

My friend could never run and hide,

even when they called him off to War.

While others turned their backs on freedom,

our way of life not worth fighting for.

But you did us proud and stood for us,

standing strong for the U.S.A.

A young man of grit and honor,

you didn't go to play.

When the job was finished and you came home,

from doing what had to be done.

To start your precious family,

you bragged about each and every one.

I already miss our talks dear friend,

about messing with our grand kids.

And how our lifes have changed a bit,

watching em doing what our children once did.

Will our offspring someday figure out,

if the Blue 1st Gen is really faster?

Personally Dan I still have my doubts,

I wonder if your talking about that with our Master?

Speaking now about our chats,

about "The Man" above.

I hope that you are finding peace,

while basking in His love.

I know that all that pain is gone,

that was so hard to take.

Those all night chats are finally done,

from the pain keeping you awake.

You kept our clubhouse rockin bro,

though probation was always there.

You KNOW I'll miss your smiling face,

in the penalty box that we did share.

I am so proud to have known,

my brother to the end.

That I got to know our Yammer Dan,

and I got to be his friend.

Puc

Just beautiful, just beautiful. [emoji22]

Never ride faster then your angel can fly. I am as free as the wind on my face.

Thanks puc, just trying to wrap my head around this as all this is just so surreal. I wish I had driven over and met them Saturday morning. I was about half way through replacing the water pump on my Miata and just gave up on trying to make the two hour trip. I could have taken the Infinity, but just wanted to take the Miata. I regret so much not meeting them.

It is interesting how different stories can come out of this. One guy that I spoke with near where the trike is stored said he heard that a turkey vulture was feeding on some roadkill and was startled and flew up into Dan, knocking him off the trike.

I checked on the weather for this weekend and it is going to be about 90 degrees in that part of WV.

Randy

I was going through old posts and I saw one about 9 years ago that I started and Yammer Dan chimed in with a big old paragraph of help. I didn't realize I knew him or many of you other guys for that long! You people really are an amazing extended family. I wish I could properly put thought to paper, but I cant, so I'll just say this the best I can!

I LOVE MY VENTURE RIDER FAMILY!!!

I was going through old posts and I saw one about 9 years ago that I started and Yammer Dan chimed in with a big old paragraph of help. I didn't realize I knew him or many of you other guys for that long! You people really are an amazing extended family. I wish I could properly put thought to paper, but I cant, so I'll just say this the best I can!

I LOVE MY VENTURE RIDER FAMILY!!!

Knowing DanL' that big old paragraph probably included words like: use LOTS of Berrymans or Seafoam or Marvel Mystery Oil or better yet a good combination mixture of the three,,, and then he probably went on to explain how much easier life was when he didnt have to worry about remembering his tent poles when he was riding his Panhead (and no,,, he would say,,, I am NOT talking about the shape of my head that looks uniquely like the inside of one of the Wardens skillets) cause all he had to do was tie his tarp on the seat of that 49 Chopped Pan and sleep under it next to his bike,,,, and of course - somewhere at the end of the paragraph would be something about Fried Chicken :big-grin-emoticon:

Good grief,, what are we gonna do without Yammer Dan,,,:95::95:

I was riding tinker today and went for a good run too, come back and noticed some polin sticking here and there. He had made a comment about my valves gaskets leaking but I never saw it till today. I have tried to go back and find that comment but it was awhile ago when I had my collector off talking about some stupid little oil leak. I have a song that has been playing thru my head when I think about him talking about Brown Sugar. Also Had another song in my head when I found out he had found the trike of his dreams. I wished I could put my thoughts into words, Heck I never had the opportunity to meet the guy. I am 40 yrs old and am fighting back the tears. SO I can just imagine how everyone else in the group is doing that got to know him and knew him in person. How can a guy have this effect on people whom never met him. He was a very interesting fellow to say the least, @cowpuc I don't know what your gonna do all by your lonesome off in that penalty box you two shared. Gonna be mighty lonesome I guess. Guess you could toss your tent to one side of your bike and sleep under it. Altho I never really got to know him as you all did I am glad to have known him and would have loved to know him in person. So till we all ride again Yammer Dan keep eye on the ornery ones. Keep watch for them and us.

Never had the chance to meet Dan , but have observed all the connections he developed on the site over the years. Whenever I posted some obscure problem with my first Gens, Dan was always an early contributor of ideas. Sad to hear this news. Sympathy to his family and all his friends on here. The great reminder...Life is short, and we are never guaranteed tomorrow..

Clay

Knowing DanL' that big old paragraph probably included words like: use LOTS of Berrymans or Seafoam or Marvel Mystery Oil or better yet a good combination mixture of the three,,, and then he probably went on to explain how much easier life was when he didnt have to worry about remembering his tent poles when he was riding his Panhead (and no,,, he would say,,, I am NOT talking about the shape of my head that looks uniquely like the inside of one of the Wardens skillets) cause all he had to do was tie his tarp on the seat of that 49 Chopped Pan and sleep under it next to his bike,,,, and of course - somewhere at the end of the paragraph would be something about Fried Chicken :big-grin-emoticon:

Good grief,, what are we gonna do without Yammer Dan,,,:95::95:

Puc, you're an awesome dude! You made my day and basically hit the nail on the head! Hope you and tippy are doing good!

I do not know how I missed this post other than the fact that I have only been taking quick peeks as of late due primarily to other issues going on in my life. But I sure wish I had not had to see this one late or otherwise. Dan was one of the 1st I connected with here on the site back in 2006 and always one of my favorite people to banter back and forth with. It was one of greatest pleasure when I finally got to meet him in person at the 1st MD I attended and then later at many rallies since. I was so looking forward to seeing him again at this years MD along with everyone else.

It was always sad how one thing after another always seemed to befall either on Dan himself or one of his Family members. Maybe this was just the lords way of saying enough is enough time to come home Dan.

I like many others will miss you Dan and to your family I offer up my deepest condolences.

Rest in peace my friend.

I do not know how I missed this post other than the fact that I have only been taking quick peeks as of late due primarily to other issues going on in my life. But I sure wish I had not had to see this one late or otherwise. Dan was one of the 1st I connected with here on the site back in 2006 and always one of my favorite people to banter back and forth with. It was one of greatest pleasure when I finally got to meet him in person at the 1st MD I attended and then later at many rallies since. I was so looking forward to seeing him again at this years MD along with everyone else.

It was always sad how one thing after another always seemed to befall either on Dan himself or one of his Family members. Maybe this was just the lords way of saying enough is enough time to come home Dan.

I like many others will miss you Dan and to your family I offer up my deepest condolences.

Rest in peace my friend.

Hey Ben, I was actually going to message you about the loss of our Yammer Dan, but I somehow figured you saw it. It is such a sad loss for us all.

Yama Mama

Hey Ben, I was actually going to message you about the loss of our Yammer Dan, but I somehow figured you saw it. It is such a sad loss for us all.

Yama Mama

I kinda wish you had of, but like you said its only reasonable to figure I saw it. But with so much going on I have been on site hit and miss sometimes I only check the 1st page just for a quick peek. Not that any of it will make a difference now. Either way he will be missed.