IGNORED

2018 Star Venture Tip Over

I have some great news, I just read a review on the 2018 Star Venture and in the review it was revealed one of the riders dropped a Star Venture in a parking lot and the bike only falls about 45 degrees with no damage.

That is the first information I have read about tip over and the results. I have read where many were concerned about no tip over bars on the rear but the bags are bolted on with four bolts and they have a plastic piece that protects the bag in the event of a tip over while the front does have a nicely hidden crash bar.

Here is the the review: http://www.motorcycle.com/manufacturer/yamaha/2018-yamaha-star-venture-first-ride.html

I have some great news, I just read a review on the 2018 Star Venture and in the review it was revealed one of the riders dropped a Star Venture in a parking lot and the bike only falls about 45 degrees with no damage.

That is the first information I have read about tip over and the results. I have read where many were concerned about no tip over bars on the rear but the bags are bolted on with four bolts and they have a plastic piece that protects the bag in the event of a tip over while the front does have a nicely hidden crash bar.

Here is the the review: http://www.motorcycle.com/manufacturer/yamaha/2018-yamaha-star-venture-first-ride.html

Great article! Thanks!

It's a bear to pick up though.

This is correct, dropped mine backing out of garage onto driveway (slight downhill grade), cut it to tight, over she went. Stopped at 45 degrees.

Make sure saddle bag lids are latched. ask me how I know.. errr first scratch...on top of lid from hitting the driveway when it swung open.

No other damage.....

I have gone to great lengths to verify this, for the good of the group. I would never have dropped my bike like a dummy because I was going uphill on wet grass and then got back on a gravel driveway... Any way, moving at a very slow speed when the bike went over. Stopped at a 45 degree angle, not to bad to pick up if you do it right. My recommendation is to take my word for it rather than experiment. "I'm a professional" and "Don't try this at home".

I have gone to great lengths to verify this, for the good of the group. I would never have dropped my bike like a dummy because I was going uphill on wet grass and then got back on a gravel driveway... Any way, moving at a very slow speed when the bike went over. Stopped at a 45 degree angle, not to bad to pick up if you do it right. My recommendation is to take my word for it rather than experiment. "I'm a professional" and "Don't try this at home".

That is the wrong shiny side up!! That shiny is supposed to point to the sides!!:Avatars_Gee_George:

What was the restart procedure after you righted the motorcycle?

I know both my Victory and Harley you have to I think cycle the key and I think the Victory you also had to wait for like 45 seconds before you tried to restart the bike or it would not start.

Just curious what you had to do with this Yamaha to restart it after the tip over.

What was the restart procedure after you righted the motorcycle?

I know both my Victory and Harley you have to I think cycle the key and I think the Victory you also had to wait for like 45 seconds before you tried to restart the bike or it would not start.

Just curious what you had to do with this Yamaha to restart it after the tip over.

Well, sadly, I can't tell you for sure. Turned the bike off using the key, not the on/off switch. Took me longer than 45 seconds too pick the bike up by myself, so any wait time was more than met. Once I had it up and the kick stand down, I caught my breath and assessed the situation (no gas smell, no obvious damage) before I started it back up. It might not have required anything special, or I may have lucked up and got the right sequence entirely by luck. :hurts:

Well, sadly, I can't tell you for sure. Turned the bike off using the key, not the on/off switch. Took me longer than 45 seconds too pick the bike up by myself, so any wait time was more than met. Once I had it up and the kick stand down, I caught my breath and assessed the situation (no gas smell, no obvious damage) before I started it back up. It might not have required anything special, or I may have lucked up and got the right sequence entirely by luck. :hurts:

I found the restart procedure after a tip over and the sensor shuts the bike down:

This is on page 8.1 of the owners manual.

TIP:

This model is quipped with:

• A lean angle sensor to stop the engine in case of a turnover. In this case, the display will indicate error code 30, but this is not a malfunction. Turn the vehicle power off and then on to clear the error code. Failing to do so will prevent the engine from starting even though the engine will crank when pushing the start switch.

• An engine auto-stop system. The engine stops automatically if left idling for 20 minutes. If the engine stops, simply push the start switch to restart the engine.

Edited by American