IGNORED

Pipes

Skid

Looking for a good set of mufflers with a low bass rumble. I don’t want anything too loud but a little extra rumble during acceleration. I was searching for a set of Road Kings but unable to locate a set without the catalytic converter. Any ideas?

Edited by Skid

Skid, it's easy to find them without the cats. There were only a couple of years when the cats were in the muffler, then they started putting them in the down pipe. I will also tell you that some are louder than others and I'm not sure how to know before buying them. I once had them on my '99 and they were just very slightly louder than my stock mufflers. When I bought the '05, it had a set on it already and they are quite a bit louder than stock. Not TOO loud but certainly louder than the first set I had and neither were modified.

Skid, it's easy to find them without the cats. There were only a couple of years when the cats were in the muffler, then they started putting them in the down pipe. I will also tell you that some are louder than others and I'm not sure how to know before buying them. I once had them on my '99 and they were just very slightly louder than my stock mufflers. When I bought the '05, it had a set on it already and they are quite a bit louder than stock. Not TOO loud but certainly louder than the first set I had and neither were modified.

How can you tell the difference between with or without the cats ?

Unless you know the year model that they came off of or a part number, the only way is to look inside the muffler. I THINK that 2010 and later had them in the header pipe. Also, I think before 2006 and earlier did not have them I'm not 100% sure though. I can tell you that on my 2013, there were none in the Mufflers.

I put a set of LA Choppers on my 99 back in 2012 and did some experimenting with how much wrap to use for the sound I wanted. This is with 3 wraps using 0000 steel wool. I later took of one wrap and liked the louder sound more. May change them back to a 3 wrap after this years riding season.

Looking for a good set of mufflers with a low bass rumble. I don’t want anything too loud but a little extra rumble during acceleration. I was searching for a set of Road Kings but unable to locate a set without the catalytic converter. Any ideas?
Road King with no cat. Took some Custom Fabrication on the pipe to get it to fit and then welded a new support to the rear mounting bolt from the saddle bag support. I get a lot of comments on how good this bike sounds. Although Beemers and Goldwings probably don't want to sit behind me for very long!

...in the Eternal scheme of things, this isn't even the blink of an eye.

96389586eeef667b863c6310dd16718b.jpg43d3681218820f95ec81717eb4c9f64a.jpga0866382e33f518eeda0efd0f69f7fd2.jpg

If you find a set of HD mufflers and they are still too loud after a long ride, you can install baffles from SmartPartz that should do the trick.

I installed a used set of V&H Monster Ovals for a HD that have a nice rumble but too loud for long distances. Installed the SmartPartz baffles, got a nice rumble at idle and when getting on the throttle, but evens out to a nice toned sound when cruising. Nicest sounding pipes I have ever heard on any bike.

Why not save yourself some money and just drill a couple of holes in the back of the stock mufflers? It gives you a deep throaty growl with the loudness that depends on just how many holes you drill. Talk to Big Tom about how and where and how many holes...

Freebird’s guesstimate on model years above is pretty close. I think mine came from a 2009 and had the cat. The cat is in the right side and it is easy to tell once you have them in hand because the right side is noticeably heavier.

I tried to remove it but made a mess of it. My set was free so I had nothing to lose. A quick search on eBay I found somebody selling a left side for $25. So I have two left pipes but you can’t tell the difference. I think I have more money invested in the chrome clamps to connect to the header pipes than in the mufflers

Skid,

You can remove the cat fairly easily. I drilled out the baffles on my road king mufflers, and when I had that done, simply drilled the cat out. To do that, just get an aircraft drill. It's a long drill, say 1/4" and drill a series of holes around the outside of the cat, as close to each other as possible, and with a pipe/bar from the other end, just knock it out. It's not that bad, and also not that loud.

65538-09 & 65846-10A Part # for 09 later FLH mufflers. 06 had cats unless it was a Calif bike. Then as early as 04 I think could have cats. After 07 they put the cat in head pipes because everybody was just buying muffler and installing them right off showroom floor.

Yea and you have to remember they have a straight cut and slash cut end. Different part numbers, and I have no idea which what number is for what style. I liked the slash cut on my RSV, because they looked different from the OEM mufflers.

We rode with Bubs for about six years. We got tired of being worn out after a long day in the saddle from the pipes. I swapped out the Bubs for Monster Ovals. What a big difference. The MO have that low rumble at low RPMs then open up a bit when getting on it. At cruising speed you can still hear them but, for us, they are not so loud that they beat you up after riding all day.

I really like them. I wish I had installed these first. Down side is, they are really expensive and, you have to make your own mounting bracket

We rode with Bubs for about six years. We got tired of being worn out after a long day in the saddle from the pipes. I swapped out the Bubs for Monster Ovals. What a big difference. The MO have that low rumble at low RPMs then open up a bit when getting on it. At cruising speed you can still hear them but, for us, they are not so loud that they beat you up after riding all day.

I really like them. I wish I had installed these first. Down side is, they are really expensive and, you have to make your own mounting bracket

A little over priced for sure. I'm seeing them in the $800 range

I have a set of slash cut somethings I took off mine because I like factory. I'll try to post pics tomorrow if somebody could use em. Too loud for me and the boss. They have mounts with them.

They come off your 86? Will they work with an 83? Maybe have a sound clip of them on your bike or one like it?