IGNORED

They changed a little in the past 20 years but not much. Purchasing a hand gun in Mi.

cowpuc

It used to be that the pathway to buying a handgun involved going to the Sheriffs office and buying a Purchase Permit, taking the Purchase Permit to the owner of the gun and giving him a little section of the permit for his records of where his beloved Smith 29 or Ruger MK1 or Thompson Contender or,,,, opps - carried away with my day dreaming,, ended up.. Then it was a trip back to the Sheriffs office for a complete safety check, recording of the permit and then it was yours.. Now adays,, it's the same trip to the Sheriffs office UNLESS your purchasing new - if purchasing new - the transaction is completely by the Gun Shop with the FFL. The Sheriffs office now requires a 48 hour back ground check period even if you have an Enhanced Drivers License that has already had the back ground check completed on in order to obtain the D.L.. If a local LEO with a 5 cars loaded with other LEO's backing him up dont show up at your home during that 48 hour period, you return to the Sheriff's office where you get your Purchase Permit.. You then take that permit and go to the selling private party who hands you your new little bundle and perhaps, if your lucky, also tosses in a couple boxes of ammo that he didnt have time to shoot up. After paying him, he signs the permit and keeps his part and your on your way back to the Sheriffs office.. There is no longer a saftey check involved so now all you do now is drop off the permit at the Sheriffs office and your on your way - the authorities no longer have interest in actually seeing the gun..

I think our local Sheriffs office might be in cahoots with who ever approves applicants who want to be Notary's.. I say that cause here,, they charge 10 bucks for that service while there are multiple business's in the area that do this for free and even our local Township Hall clerks only charge 2 dollars for it (that I have a hunch goes into a New Years Eve party down there but thats another story).

That right there is pretty much the most recent scooter on Michigan's fun with buyin a shooter.. Wonder whats its like in your State?

Out with bang!!

Puc

well here in the great white north, :canada:we have a different system. Can you believe that? LOL

We've just had a few changes to our gun laws courtesy of our illustrious leader & his sycophants. I'm pretty sure the following is correct...

To purchase a new handgun, we go to the store/ seller show our "restricted" licences (all handguns in Canada are classed as restricted, along with some long guns) Our background checks are completed as part of obtaining the licence in the first place. A license is valid for 5 years.

The store/ seller has to then check with the RCMP (Federal Police firearms section) that the licence is valid. (supposed to be a simple phone call) we can then make the purchase & pay. BUT we cannot take the firearm home. Not yet! The store/ seller then applies (again to RCMP) for a change of ownership. Once this is approved (it can take a few days to 4-6 weeks to get approval!) & the necessary paperwork is in the buyer's posession, the firearm may then be collected from the store BUT first we have to apply for an ATT (Authority To Transport) the firearm from the dealer/ seller to home.

While transporting it must be unloaded, in a locked case & have a trigger lock fitted. All paperwork must be in the vehicle with you, without it we are commiting a CRIMINAL offense!

Afterwards, the ONLY place we are now allowed to take a restricted firearm without an ATT is to a range that we are a member of. To take one anywhere else (eg gunsmith, show, competition at another range etc) we have to again apply for an ATT (& that applies to every restricted firearm we are transporting) without an ATT for every single firearm we are committing a CRIMINAL offence!

This ATT nonsense is so that criminals can't transport firearms without prior approval. At least that's the way the Guvmint sees it.:crackup: :crackup::whistling::rotf:

'Cause of course if you're going to go out to commit murder, or armed robbery you'd be really worried about not having the right pieces of paper :rolleyes:

So that's what we have to put up with.

Well Puc here in West by God years ago. When I was a lot younger if you were at least 18 years old you could go buy a gun from anybody with out a background check or sheriff contact. If you had the money you bought it and went on your way. Now it is a completely different story. You don't get a permit from the sheriff but when you go to buy any gun the dealer has to fill out the paper work and call in the info to get a federal background check. If you pass it you can walk out with your gun if you are a resident. If I buy a pistol out of state the dealer has to transfer it to a dealer in my home area of my choice for a fee of course. OH BTW WV has had an open carry law on the books since the 1800. Now that all has changed also. If you live in WV and do not have a felony charge against you, you can conceal carry without a ccw.

Sure sounds like a procedure that a government nitwit would dream up. Of course, the people they are trying to prevent buying guns don't follow any of these rules. If it were up to me, I'd let anyone buy anything without the permit BS. I'd take down the "No Guns Allowed" signs on public schools (which are completely unenforced) and just assume that everyone is carrying a weapon and is responsible for their actions.

zag

I'd... just assume that everyone is carrying a weapon and is responsible for their actions.

zag

WHICH, when you think about it, is pretty much the way anyone who actually walks the streets these days OUGHT to behave, whether living in Canada or any of the 48!

Cause ya NEVER know!

Here in KY it's a little easier. If you are buying from a private party, pay the guy the cash and walk away.............legally. Buying new or from a dealer you fill out a paper, the dealer calls it in and if you pass the check pay him and take the gun home with you. Usually `15 minutes or so. If you have a concealed carry permit fill out the paper, show him your card, and walk away with your gun. No checks or waiting for ammo. Open carry is legal without a permit. Loaded in the glove box of a car is legal without permit. Just don't write a bad check for guns or ammo, it's an automatic federal felony. Dealer friend is going through that now, he took a check that bounced and the feds are all over it. That's all if you have a KY driver's license.

Ahh yes, the good old days, when you walked into the gun store, plunked down your cash and walked out the door with your new bundle of joy.

Now you can still do a private to private sale with just cash and carry. BUT if you go to buy new, Then there is the background checks and forms to fill out. The background check can be approved, denied or delayed. If it is delayed that means that the computer found something it did not know how to handle and needs a real person to look at it. They have 48 hours to either approve or deny. To deny they must have a valid reason, IF they do noting then it is automatically approved after the 48 hours. Subject to change without notice. I know they are currently working on some big changes, I do not know if they happened yet.

I did get my WI CCW just because in @cowpucs home state they have a law that says NO non MI resident may be in possession of a hand gun in the state of MI unless they have a CCW issued by their home state. (I have no clue how they deal with a person from a state that has constitutional carry) I spend a lot of time in the deep woods of upper MI and always pack because I have had run ins with bears, wolves and coyotes. Never had to shoot one yet but was real close a couple of times. There is also a law in MI hunting regs that if you see a feral pig and are in possession of a firearm you are required to shoot it, no hunting license required, I LIKE pork.

I miss FL. I got a carry permit in less than 2 weeks, ex-military no class needed. With that, I could buy a handgun which I did from budsgunshop.com and had it delivered to a dealer who charged me to make the call to check my record before I could take possession. There is so much crime in southern FL that I think the authorities want people who don't have a record armed so they can take out some of the criminals.

In NC I have to fill out a multi-page form, take a class, and list 3 people who live in the same county who aren't relatives who will vouch for me and wait for the Sheriff's office to process the application to carry. Just to buy a handgun, it takes a form with people vouching for the applicant too.

When I toured Wyoming summer before last I was told you didn't need a permit to carry a weapon open or concealed! They don't have the buttholes and criminals that other states have I suppose. I believe it is the least populated state in the country. If it wasn't so cold, I think I would move there.

I miss FL. I got a carry permit in less than 2 weeks, ex-military no class needed. With that, I could buy a handgun which I did from budsgunshop.com and had it delivered to a dealer who charged me to make the call to check my record before I could take possession. There is so much crime in southern FL that I think the authorities want people who don't have a record armed so they can take out some of the criminals.

In NC I have to fill out a multi-page form, take a class, and list 3 people who live in the same county who aren't relatives who will vouch for me and wait for the Sheriff's office to process the application to carry. Just to buy a handgun, it takes a form with people vouching for the applicant too.

When I toured Wyoming summer before last I was told you didn't need a permit to carry a weapon open or concealed! They don't have the buttholes and criminals that other states have I suppose. I believe it is the least populated state in the country. If it wasn't so cold, I think I would move there.

Nice thing about NC ccpermit is that once you have it and keep it current, that is all you need to purchase other than Federal papers.

:farmer:

Ahh yes, the good old days, when you walked into the gun store, plunked down your cash and walked out the door with your new bundle of joy.

Now you can still do a private to private sale with just cash and carry. BUT if you go to buy new, Then there is the background checks and forms to fill out. The background check can be approved, denied or delayed. If it is delayed that means that the computer found something it did not know how to handle and needs a real person to look at it. They have 48 hours to either approve or deny. To deny they must have a valid reason, IF they do noting then it is automatically approved after the 48 hours. Subject to change without notice. I know they are currently working on some big changes, I do not know if they happened yet.

I did get my WI CCW just because in cowpucs home state they have a law that says NO non MI resident may be in possession of a hand gun in the state of MI unless they have a CCW issued by their home state. (I have no clue how they deal with a person from a state that has constitutional carry) I spend a lot of time in the deep woods of upper MI and always pack because I have had run ins with bears, wolves and coyotes. Never had to shoot one yet but was real close a couple of times. There is also a law in MI hunting regs that if you see a feral pig and are in possession of a firearm you are required to shoot it, no hunting license required, I LIKE pork.

Very similar to KY. If you keep your CCW current here(by giving the state $$$ ) every five years you fill out one paper registering the sale and they record your license info then you're out the door. No background check required. Nothing required to buy ammo.

well here in the great white north, :canada:we have a different system. Can you believe that? LOL

We've just had a few changes to our gun laws courtesy of our illustrious leader & his sycophants. I'm pretty sure the following is correct...

To purchase a new handgun, we go to the store/ seller show our "restricted" licences (all handguns in Canada are classed as restricted, along with some long guns) Our background checks are completed as part of obtaining the licence in the first place. A license is valid for 5 years.

The store/ seller has to then check with the RCMP (Federal Police firearms section) that the licence is valid. (supposed to be a simple phone call) we can then make the purchase & pay. BUT we cannot take the firearm home. Not yet! The store/ seller then applies (again to RCMP) for a change of ownership. Once this is approved (it can take a few days to 4-6 weeks to get approval!) & the necessary paperwork is in the buyer's posession, the firearm may then be collected from the store BUT first we have to apply for an ATT (Authority To Transport) the firearm from the dealer/ seller to home.

While transporting it must be unloaded, in a locked case & have a trigger lock fitted. All paperwork must be in the vehicle with you, without it we are commiting a CRIMINAL offense!

Afterwards, the ONLY place we are now allowed to take a restricted firearm without an ATT is to a range that we are a member of. To take one anywhere else (eg gunsmith, show, competition at another range etc) we have to again apply for an ATT (& that applies to every restricted firearm we are transporting) without an ATT for every single firearm we are committing a CRIMINAL offence!

This ATT nonsense is so that criminals can't transport firearms without prior approval. At least that's the way the Guvmint sees it.:crackup: :crackup::whistling::rotf:

'Cause of course if you're going to go out to commit murder, or armed robbery you'd be really worried about not having the right pieces of paper :rolleyes:

So that's what we have to put up with.

Kretzie this sounds familiar,,, I was reading about what it takes in the Land of Liberty to own and operate a machine gun (real deal "weapon of war" full automatic - like an actual M-16 or actual classic Thompson or a genuine Browning Automatic Rifle) and I think that's where I remember some similar legal language like you mention. What I am referring to is what some folks call "Class 3 Licensing" here from all I have gathered. Class 3 here is basically a wealthy persons play ground from what I can ascertain but, WOWZY would it be fun to be that rich guy :178: :mo money:,, even for a day or two,,, or three or four :thumbsup2:IMHO..

Here in KY it's a little easier. If you are buying from a private party, pay the guy the cash and walk away.............legally.That's all if you have a KY driver's license.

How do I get one of them-thar Kentucky driver's license's up here in Ontario-ari-ari-O?

Georgia. Sales between private individuals aren't regulated assuming that the weapon isn't on a restricted list, The recipient isn't a minor, and neither is a felon. Sales from commercial dealers requires that federal transfer papers be filled out and that the dealer does a background check which is supposed to be 'instantaneous' against the federal database. Occasionally the background check will result in a hold of a few days, and assuming you're not related to Osama or have the same name as someone recently released from Sing-Sing you get the gun. If however, one has a Georgia CCW permit, then you have already been finger printed, photgraphed, and run thru a background check, and had to wait about 10 days to get the CCW. In which case, just fill out the Federal transfer paperwork that has to be done for any non-restricted weapon. There are a few instances where having a CCW does not exempt one from the dealer background check requirements, but they are rare (the DCM 1911 government surplus pistols for instance).

I have a class 3 curio and relic Federal Firearms license, and thats another discussion.

I think if an individual anywhere in the USA sells a gun to a felon, that individual just commited a felony. I would not sell a gun to someone I didn't know without doing it through a dealer who could make the call. I bought several guns from co-workers and sold one to a co-workier at the nuclear power plants and we didn't worry about that because we were all back ground checked to get an access badge to the nuke plant. And the back ground check was much more extensive than the check to buy a gun.

All you need in Nebraska is a handgun purchase permit. I've never bought one, but in Nebraska if you're given a handgun as a gift, you don't need to have the purchase permit. You'd only need a conceal permit if you intend to conceal it. One of the good things about livin in the midwest

How do I get one of them-thar Kentucky driver's license's up here in Ontario-ari-ari-O?

It shouldn't be too hard. From what I've heard there are people over in the eastern part of the state that cash social security checks and vote every election 10-15 years after their obituary was published. If they can do that a drivers license should be a piece of cake.

It shouldn't be too hard. From what I've heard there are people over in the eastern part of the state that cash social security checks and vote every election 10-15 years after their obituary was published. If they can do that a drivers license should be a piece of cake.

Love it! I'll be down. :-) (May just vote, as well, while I'm there!)

All you need in Nebraska is a handgun purchase permit. I've never bought one, but in Nebraska if you're given a handgun as a gift, you don't need to have the purchase permit. You'd only need a conceal permit if you intend to conceal it. One of the good things about livin in the midwest

Originally from Omaha, Nebraska was an open carry state. And I never filled out papers for purchase. If you carried concealed in Omaha it required the city police to visually identify the weapon and record the serial number but don't substitute a weapon :no-no-no:.

Originally from Omaha, Nebraska was an open carry state. And I never filled out papers for purchase. If you carried concealed in Omaha it required the city police to visually identify the weapon and record the serial number but don't substitute a weapon :no-no-no:.

And I've personally never bought a gun. All of my fire arms were hand me downs

And I've personally never bought a gun. All of my fire arms were hand me downs

Here in Michigan,,, you still have to do the purchase permit (full background check with 48 hour wait) with the Sheriffs office routine if the hand me down is a handgun. All long guns though - rifle/shotguns - are still under the ol "yard sale rule" routine though (walk up and buy it) so no problem there with just having the hand me down handed to us.

I live in NY.....GOV. BLOMOS safe act.......You don't want to know.... I tell everyone who travels to NY from another state...leave it home because if caught with it, YOU AREN'T GOING HOME....state carry permit or not....you're state laws don't matter here in NY.... what a joke....

I live in NY.....GOV. BLOMOS safe act.......You don't want to know.... I tell everyone who travels to NY from another state...leave it home because if caught with it, YOU AREN'T GOING HOME....state carry permit or not....you're state laws don't matter here in NY.... what a joke....

NY is in some ways like Illinois. Not many mile outside the big controlling city (NYC and Chi-town) most people are gun friendly. Too bad the heavily populated sanctuary liberal loving cities control the whole state.

I bought in Texas and Oklahoma long guns and handguns over the last 50 years. Even in most recent times if you are a resident of either state you just go to the dealer fill out the forms and usually you are approved by the federal check quickly. Long guns across the two borders is the same process. If you have a license to carry in either state long guns are even quicker. Handguns you must be a resident of the state.

Buy from an individual: Give him the money he gives you the gun. It works in both states.

An Oklahoma buddy worked in Colorado as a non resident for a few years. He bought a handgun for self defense. He had to have it shipped to Oklahoma to his home address had to travel there to pick it up then return to Colorado. Since Oklahoma touches Colorado, barely, he could buy a long gun in CO. He said isn't that crazy, I can buy a 50 cal. rifle that will take down a helicopter but can't buy a handgun to defend myself. Guess it makes sense to people in DC who have no sense.

I have heard many people say that in the US they never will take all the guns. True. However, it could be made a felony to own one or they can tax the ammo to the point no one can buy it.

Interesting post ya put up here Puc. My son and I were just talking about this topic last week. He intends to acquire a couple of my guns, rifles & pistols as I no longer hunt with them. So we'll be getting some new first hand experience on this very soon. The son did talk to his nearby gun shop and was told rifles - no problem, handguns will need to go thru the police department.

It's also interesting to hear from folks here have to do in their various states / country

Larry