IGNORED

How to turn off the alarm system to work on the 2018 Star Venture bikes.

I learned something today in the garage, the bikes alarm system keeps reseting itself so when you move something on the bike it sets off the alarm.

Well I stumbled along and found out how to shut off the alarm so you can work on the bike without setting off the alarm.

Let the alarm set as normal. once the alarm is set push the unlock button on the fuel tank to open the fuel filler door. After the fuel filler door opens close it and the alarm will turn off.

I had to start the bike and turn it back off to turn the alarm back on again.

I learned something today in the garage, the bikes alarm system keeps reseting itself so when you move something on the bike it sets off the alarm.

Well I stumbled along and found out how to shut off the alarm so you can work on the bike without setting off the alarm.

Let the alarm set as normal. once the alarm is set push the unlock button on the fuel tank to open the fuel filler door. After the fuel filler door opens close it and the alarm will turn off.

I had to start the bike and turn it back off to turn the alarm back on again.

I tried that and must be doing something wrong. My fuel tank door won’t open unless I have the bike turned to ON or ACC.

So, your tank door opens when you have the it turned to OFF?

If you have locked the bags it won't work, you have to have the bags unlocked for the button on the tank work to open the fuel door.

So park the bike as normal but don't activate the bag locks with the key fob and wait for the beep for the alarm to set. (I did not try locking the bags with the tank button but I suspect that will work the same as using the key fob and will disable the fuel filler button)

Once the alarm has set without locking the bags now push on the button on the tank to open the fuel filler door and then when the door is open shut the door and the alarm should turn off and you can now work on the bike without setting off the alarm.

I did have to restart the bike after doing that to get the alarm turned back on again.

Edited by American

If you have locked the bags it won't work, you have to have the bags unlocked for the button on the tank work to open the fuel door.

So park the bike as normal but don't activate the bag locks with the key fob and wait for the beep for the alarm to set. (I did not try locking the bags with the tank button but I suspect that will work the same as using the key fob and will disable the fuel filler button)

Once the alarm has set without locking the bags now push on the button on the tank to open the fuel filler door and then when the door is open shut the door and the alarm should turn off and you can now work on the bike without setting off the alarm.

I did have to restart the bike after doing that to get the alarm turned back on again.

My locks have not been engaged. Bike is just sitting in the garage with the alarm activated. I push the tank button, but it don’t open as I said. Wonder if it’s a software difference?

I just went out and tired it again and this is what I did to test it.

1. With the key fob I pressed the unlock button to deactivate the alarm.

2. I waited for the alarm to beep once resetting itself.

3. I pushed and held the unlock button on the fuel tank until the fuel door lid popped open.

4. I closed the fuel door lid.

5. Wait for the bike to make two beeps and the alarm will now be shut off to work on the bike, the red alarm indicator on the dash will stop blinking and will now be off.

6. To reactivate the alarm I started the bike and shut it off and the alarm was working again. You might be able to cycle the ignition on and off without starting the bike but I did not try that.

There may be a timer to do this within so many seconds to prevent anyone from just walking up to the bike and disabling the alarm. I also had the key fob with me next to the bike when I did this.

UPDATE

You don't have to start the engine to reactivate the alarm.

1. Set the red engine stop switch to stop.

2. Push down on the ignition knob to activate it and then turn the knob to the run position like you were going to start the engine as normal.

3. Let the system go through its entire start up procedure until it gets to the accept screen, press accept.

4. Now turn off the ignition and wait for the alarm to beep once.

5. The alarm is now reset and blinking on the dash again.

Edited by American
Update

3. I pushed and held the unlock button on the fuel tank until the fuel door lid popped open.

5. Wait for the bike to make two beeps and the alarm will now be shut off to work on the bike, the red alarm indicator on the dash will stop blinking and will now be off.

6. To reactivate the alarm I started the bike and shut it off and the alarm was working again. You might be able to cycle the ignition on and off without starting the bike but I did not try that.

There may be a timer to do this within so many seconds to prevent anyone from just walking up to the bike and disabling the alarm. I also had the key fob with me next to the bike when I did this.

Guys, how loud is that alarm...what type of alert sound does it give off...and do you feel that if your SVTC was in the parking lot of a motel or hotel, that sounding off, would draw attention, and/or scare away those that caused it to light up?

Guys, how loud is that alarm...what type of alert sound does it give off...and do you feel that if your SVTC was in the parking lot of a motel or hotel, that sounding off, would draw attention, and/or scare away those that caused it to light up?

It is loud standing next to it, it is hard to describe but it is like a WEEEEEEEEE WEEEEEEEEE WEEEEEEEEE high pitched sound. It only goes off a few seconds and then stops but the alarm stays activated so if they keep messing with the bike it will keep going off a few seconds at a time each time they try to move it.

Not on your life bro! Its a "cheesy" sounding siren that isn't very loud at all. That's probably gonna be future project of mine to replace the siren with something more robust. Its located in a compartment behind the left rear saddlebag.

UPDATE

You don't have to start the engine to reactivate the alarm.

1. Set the red engine stop switch to stop.

2. Push down on the ignition knob to activate it and turn the knob to the run position.

3. let the system go through it entire start up procedure until it gets to the accept screen, press accept.

4. now turn off the ignition and wait for the alarm to beep once.

5. The alarm is now reset and blinking on the dash again.

Well, it would've probably helped if I'd have had my first cup of coffee BEFORE attempting this. I didn't have the key fob with me which is WHY it wouldn't open the door. DUH!!

I's all good now. I've got my coffee now and it tested out fine. Thanks for the info American!

It is loud standing next to it, it is hard to describe but it is like a WEEEEEEEEE WEEEEEEEEE WEEEEEEEEE high pitched sound. It only goes off a few seconds and then stops but the alarm stays activated so if they keep messing with the bike it will keep going off a few seconds at a time each time they try to move it.

I’ve taken the “alarm” to the next level already. I installed an LED light bar on the dash and tied it into the alarm system. When the alarm is “enabled” the light bar does a “Knight Rider” sweep back and forth. When the alarm goes off, the light bar flashes 7 times and stays bright red until the alarm resets and then goes back into sweep mode.

Its a nice visual deterrent that makes people not want to touch it!

I’ve taken the “alarm” to the next level already. I installed an LED light bar on the dash and tied it into the alarm system. When the alarm is “enabled” the light bar does a “Knight Rider” sweep back and forth. When the alarm goes off, the light bar flashes 7 times and stays bright red until the alarm resets and then goes back into sweep mode.

In the photo of your dash the two rubber covered push buttons, I know the one of the left resets the trip computer but I can't find anything on the one on the right or if it is just a dummy button.

Does the right one do anything?

In the photo of your dash the two rubber covered push buttons, I know the one of the left resets the trip computer but I can't find anything on the one on the right or if it is just a dummy button.

Does the right one do anything?

it turns off the traction control, push and hold until yellow icon appears on dash

Great Idea. I think I will do that to mine today.

Great Idea. I think I will do that to mine today.

Glad you like it Greg. It’s a lot more complicated with the SVTC than a normal bike. That’s because almost all the systems are “monitored” by the computer which means there is trace voltage (5vdc) always present. Secondly the alarm controls the neutral side of the function. For example. The alarm Siren has 12vdc present at all times, but the sealed alarm unit is controlling allowing it to neutral.

Im gonna post procedures shortly about HOW to do it and what is needed (2 Solid State Relays).

• 6 months later...
Glad you like it Greg. It’s a lot more complicated with the SVTC than a normal bike. That’s because almost all the systems are “monitored” by the computer which means there is trace voltage (5vdc) always present. Secondly the alarm controls the neutral side of the function. For example. The alarm Siren has 12vdc present at all times, but the sealed alarm unit is controlling allowing it to neutral.

Im gonna post procedures shortly about HOW to do it and what is needed (2 Solid State Relays).

Chief,

Did you ever post how you did this?

• 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...