IGNORED

Radiator gaurd

So do most of you guys install a radiator guard just for looks? When I bought my RSTD a year ago it already had a Wagner grill on it and so far it has punctured 2 radiators, after the first time I and cut the center bolts back, but returning from a trip to Arkansas when entering Durant OK I hit a really Big bump in the road almost sent me off my seat and guess what the rear part of the fender hit the Wagner guard and pushed it in enough to puncture a big hole in the radiator, when I pulled into the gas station water was shooting straight out 7 feet :( .........called my insurance company and the say they will cover it :) as for the Wagner grill it is cracked up pretty good from the impact of the fender at the bottom so I sure am not going to be fixing it and installing it again, anyone else ever have this issue? also I have one of these https://www.ebay.com/i/172794783318?chn=ps but was thinking that it would restrict air flow to the radiator and the engine would run hotter than normal...............so Radiator Guard or no radiator Guard that is the question, if its mostly for looks and you really don't need one may just keep it as stock, what are you all's thoughts.............Thanks

I have a similar grill to the one you pointed out on ebay, sheet of decorative chrome. I guess I bought it for both looks and protection. Never had a problem with bike overheating, and I never punctured the radiator with my front fender, never even knew you could? Must have been one helluva pothole. I was more worried about a large stone doing some damage.

Craig

The mechanic at the yamaha shop pushed down on the front end as much as he could and the rear part of the front fender came close to the Wagner grill so there is a lot of movement on those front forks, for those of you with a Wagner grill make sure you cut those screws in the back of the grill way back and pray you never hit a serious pot hole or bump on the highway I was doing 75mph when i hit bump/hole which lifted me off my seat but wasn't like a jarring jolt just like a serious dip that sent me flying.

I am not sure about screws in the back, my Venture with the Wagner grill is long gone, but I do recall some sort of protrusions in the back that held the screen on or something. I do know one thing, if your bike is lowered in the front and you hit the front brakes hard enough to make the front end dip, the rear tip of the front fender will contact the front of the Wagner grill. That is what happened to the guy I bought my Wagner off of, and why he took it off and sold it. There was a small chip in the paint on the Wagner as proof of it happening. So yes there are occasions when the rear fender tip can come in contact with the Wagner, but this is the first time I have heard of one puncturing a radiator.

Probably just another one of my goofy, irrelevant thoughts but if I had that happen I might check the static sag on my front forks.. I like to raise em up all the way to top of the travel and make sure I get no more than a drop (sag) of 1 1/2 to 2 inched max while sitting on the bike... I am sure that Mom Yam must of made some improvements on the newer Venture/RSTD's and the fork springs dont sack out from sitting like the 1st Gens do but my first Gens always reguired Progressives with an inch of preload to get the sag right.. I can see where bottoming out from improper sag/sacked springs could cause the wheel to travel into the radiator if she went to bottom because on traditional tube forks (springers are different) - when the fork bottoms travel up the tubes as the springs are being compressed, the wheel is actually moving into the bike.. The also changes rake/trail demensions which a lot of riders use to their advantage (loading the forks) for cornering (REAL noticable on a sport bike like my R1)..

Maybe checking those springs/that sag might not hurt...

when I bought the bike April last year I had the front fork seals replaced due to one of them leaking since it was an 2005 model with only 11,700 miles it had sat for awhile, is there a way of adjusting the shocks other then putting air into them? Also the Wagner grill on the back side has several screws molded into the fiberglass then the screen mesh is pushed over the screws and nuts are srewed down on top of the screen to hold it in place, the srew's protrude down the center and all around the outer rim it was one of the center screws that punctured both the original radiator and now the new one, I did not realize it had puntureed the first one since I had it off at the time when the shop noticed a leak in the very center of the radiator.

Edited by Raven1294

Didn't know Wagner had screws in the back.:think:

Yeah there are studs embedded in the fiberglass and nuts that are used to hold the center screen in position...

I am not sure about screws in the back, my Venture with the Wagner grill is long gone, but I do recall some sort of protrusions in the back that held the screen on or something. I do know one thing, if your bike is lowered in the front and you hit the front brakes hard enough to make the front end dip, the rear tip of the front fender will contact the front of the Wagner grill. That is what happened to the guy I bought my Wagner off of, and why he took it off and sold it. There was a small chip in the paint on the Wagner as proof of it happening. So yes there are occasions when the rear of the fender tip can come in contact with the Wagner, but this is the first time I have heard of one puncturing a radiator.

Some of the first models of the Wagner Grill had the problem of scraping the front fender, but Steve modified them to get away from the problem. The Wagners are actually held on by a couple of zip ties that go from the engine guards to a hook which is also embedded in the side of the Wagner frame... I have one for each of my RSV's and have never had a problem. I like the looks and I guess it will protect the Radiator from rocks?? But then again I ran my 1stGen '83 for 40K+ naked and never had a mishap. The radiator...not me.... yeesh!!

My Wagner grill is also held on by tie wraps on both sides to the crash bars but the grill does stick out a bit and when and if you ever hit a big chuck hole or big bump in the road I would say there is a very good change one of those screws in the middle of the grill will puncture your radiator if that front fender comes up high enough to hit the grill as mine did twice now and even after setting those middle screws further back didn't prevent the issue from happening again.

My Wagner grill is also held on by tie wraps on both sides to the crash bars but the grill does stick out a bit and when and if you ever hit a big chuck hole or big bump in the road I would say there is a very good change one of those screws in the middle of the grill will puncture your radiator if that front fender comes up high enough to hit the grill as mine did twice now and even after setting those middle screws further back didn't prevent the issue from happening again.

I usually keep an eyeball a few hundred yards down the road, or more depending on the speed, and avoid the pot holes... Never had a Wagner come with tie wraps.. Just big zips.. And slapping the binders on with 350# me sitting in the saddle has never caused the front end to dive enough to cause the problem you're describing??? Try cutting off the threaded part of the stud flush with the nut. That should solve any potential puncher problems.

It was a Big bump I went over sent me off my seat no avoiding as it went clear across the 2 lane hwy, as far as the bolts go I did cut them back but still did the damage anyway, cracked the bottom of the grill to where a chunck of fiberglass came out.

So Leland how does your grill mount on the radiator does it use the radiator mounting screws on the bottom left and right side of the radiator and mount over the top center bolt?....Thanks

Yes, I can see the two lower mounting screws. Can't see the upper side mounts without removing the lower cowlings. The top center of the grill is slotted to clear the radiator mounting bolt. I've had it mounted for years. Never a problem. Don't remember it being a pain to install. I do remember something about having to bend the mounting tabs (easy) to make it fit properly.

Thanks Leland I ordered that grill https://www.westendmotorsports.com/s...8aAkkpEALw_wcB now if I can get an admin to fix my spelling on the title of this thread it would be greatly appreciated :)

That's the one I have on my 05 RSV. I like it and it's strong. It's been banged a few times but hasn't pushed in or dented the radiator at all.

Hope you have as good luck as I have!