IGNORED

New project, 89 Venture Royale I will try to bring back to life

Hi,

I just bought this barn find 89 Venture Royale with a sidecar for $500. My first instinct is to try to get it running, so I'll be spending some time in this forum. If that doesn't work, I'll be parting it out. My only previous experience has been with a KLR650, so I'm way out of my comfort zone.

The previous owner said he last started it 6 years ago when he drove it back from a mechanic who said he could not find parts for the air suspension, and supposedly that was the only thing wrong with it. We'll see.

I couldn't even take it home, because I didn't take my trailer, but I paid for it, and I have to figure out how to bring it back home.

Here are some dusty pictures.

IMG_20180501_121144249.jpg

IMG_20180501_180410_01.jpg

IMG_20180501_121129263.jpg

Is the side car got the mounting hardware to attach it to the Venture?

It sure looks like you got your $500 worth.

Yep, it does, and the P.O. had it painted to match the color, too. You can't tell because of the dust.IMG_20180501_191059485.jpg

Yep, it does, and the P.O. had it painted to match the color, too. You can't tell because of the dust.http://www.venturerider.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=112406
Gorgeous

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

:scared:,, WOWZY WOW WOW WOW Pab,,, THAT is gorgeous!!! :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

You done used up a once in a life time deal thingy here,,,,, might not be a bad idea to think long and hard about where you go from here IMHO..

How many miles on the scoot? Bring a tank of air to air the tires for loading,, bring a good rubber mallet and a couple feet of 2x4 in case you have to rap the calipers to free the brakes up to move it.. Dont forget to take a flashlight, kneel down at the front of the bike on the right side - turn the bars to the left and look under the fairing at the neck and double check the numbers on the title to the bike just to make sure your toting the right title.

Ya did SUPER Pablo - a HUGE congrats and looking forward to your adVenture of getting that amazing BEST OF THE BEST highway eating machine back on the road where it belongs!

Quick side note Pab - you can get bore scopes (endoscopes) for CHEAP on E-Bay = way under 20 bucks.. :thumbsup:

Edited by cowpuc

Puc has a great point. Always check the VIN # to make sure it agrees with the title.

I used to work with a guy who found out when he tried to sell his house when the job ended that he owned the house next door and the neighbor next door owned his. Had to pay an attorney a few bucks to get it straigtened out. The Lady next door was happy to let him pay for the attorney and she cooperated.

OK, dollars to donuts the first major issue you will have is with the carburetors, which are quite complex. There is a lot of great information out there to help you out with this, and even a great video on how to properly rebuild and set them up!

Yup, you stole that one! The sidecar alone is worth that much if not more! If you do part it out you can get $1000 to $2000 but it is a long tedious undertaking...

Welcome aboard, we will help you out with this as much as we can!

And since we're here, I'm having a hard time finding the 20W-40 that the manual specifies for warm weather. Can I use 10W-40 instead? What are you guys using? I tried searching the forum, but I didn't find anything specific for Gen 1.

And since we're here, I'm having a hard time finding the 20W-40 that the manual specifies for warm weather. Can I use 10W-40 instead? What are you guys using? I tried searching the forum, but I didn't find anything specific for Gen 1.

Most of us run the Shell Rotella T4 15w-40. Stay away from synthetic oils. They make your clutch slip. Also, the starter clutch tends to go in these around 30ish thousand miles. A fella her named Dano makes an awesome starter clutch upgrade.

If you can get fuel flowing thru those carbs at all mix a Whole can of BerryMan's with about a quart of fresh gas. Take the line loose from the back of the fuel pump and fill the carbs with this and let soak for a while. I've had great luck with this. You can use Sea-Foam if you want to be a little gentler with them but the BerryMans for really dirty carbs!! Good Luck!!

Yup! Think 15W40 or 15W45 Diesel engine oil, works perfectly in our V4's. As mentioned we have what is known as a "wet" clutch so no motor oils with friction inhibitors in them unless you like clutches that slip...

Made THAT mistake 20 yrs ago with my 91 Royale. I thought Slick 50 would give me better and cooler engine performance, which IT DID for about the first 20 miles until the friction plates absorbed that stuff! Had to drain and flush it and replace ALL friction plates & rings. Lesson learned!

She's running fine now. I just had a rag on top of the air box and it was sucked into the intake. Still haven't been able to ride. The air suspension is not sorted out yet and I'm rebuilding the clutch master cylinder. Soon, thought.

On a side note, I didn't drain the carb, although I did drain the gas tank. That means it started on 6 year old gas.