IGNORED

Thinking of buying a (maybe) non-running 89 Venture with sidecar

Pablo

Hi,

I apologize first for the scant information, but I know nothing about ventures. I ride a KLR 650 (enduro kinda bike?) and although not experienced, I do all repairs myself. But while looking for a sidecar, this guy offered me an 89 Venture + sidecar for $500 total.

I Haven't seen it but he claims the sidecar is in excellent condition, and the Venture hasn't run in 6 years because the air suspension was bad and he never fixed it, and never rode it again.

This means when I go see it, I won't be able to start it, but he said the plastics are good, and the bike is (was) otherwise in very good condition.

I know its a gamble. Not knowing anything about the market for parts, what are the chances I get my $500 back if I part it out? Frankly, I'm more interested in the sidecar, and I'm scared of making a Venture my first project bike, but you never know.

What do you folks think?

PS.: I read the "So You Just Bought (or are thinking of buying) a New Venture" thread and wrote down all that info.

First, welcome to our group!

Second, go take a look at her. Probably worth far more than the $500!

If you decide to buy it, know you should change the oil, drain all old gas from tank,carbs and lines, flush and replace the brake fluid front and rear as well as clutch. Brakes are linked (unless owner changed that) rear pedal works the left front and the rear. Hand brake works the right front. Brakes and clutch use DOT 3 fluid. I would also pull the plugs and clean/gap them or change them. I hope he has the tool kit that came with the bike...nice leather dual pouch kit. Know that the Venture uses JIS (not philips screws) so it will pay to invest in some JIS screw drivers - found on-line. Meanwhile put the battery on charge, clean the battery cables, etc..

Once that's done. Put new fuel in tank, turn on ignition and stop switch and listen for fuel pump to run. Watch for gas pouring out of 4 lines underneath bike in front of rear wheel.

If everything looks good, start her up. Go from there....

The suspension issues may be nothing more than a computer error ( ie E4), that is easily fixed!

The 89 is a solid bike. I have one and enjoy riding it year around.

Download the owners manual and shop manual...links found in the 1st Gen tech section of this forum.

Any issues can be searched on this forum...and do take a peak at the recommended links at the bottom of each search page. Usually these links are related to your search as well!

If you like what you see in the bike and this forum, please drop $12 to join. Best money you will ever spend!

Good luck...oh...and take pictures!

First :2BLUE: Pablo. Don't be afraid of not getting your money back if you decide to part it out. But I would not give up on it too hastily. If it is in the shape the owner says it is. I would check all the rubber lines for cracks from age. You will have to do a good carb cleaning and change the fuel filter and line while doing the carbs the bike should run. The air system should not keep it from running but that is opinion.

Bring a good battery and jumper cables when you go to look at it. I very much do not expect it to start, but a good battery and a jump will let you know if the motor is frozen and if all the electrical stuff works. If things do not work it is very common for the fuse panel to go bad and not make good contact with the glass fuses. Easy to replace with a modern fuse panel.

The Air Suspension only works with the key in the ACCY position. As mentioned if it shows an E4, that is almost always a very cheap and easy fix. Other issues may be more involved of a fix.

None of the plastic on the bike is available new, if the plastic on the bike is good you will easily get your $500 back. If the plastic is really beat up, it may be hard to find replacements.

To make a rider it will need new rubber all around for sure regardless of how good the tires look.

Sitting with non use is harder on a bike than being a daily driver. Look all over for signs of dry rot on rubber or sign s of mice chewing the wires. Old wire insulation seems to be delicious to mice.

Bring a good battery and jumper cables when you go to look at it. I very much do not expect it to start, but a good battery and a jump will let you know if the motor is frozen and if all the electrical stuff works. If things do not work it is very common for the fuse panel to go bad and not make good contact with the glass fuses. Easy to replace with a modern fuse panel.

The Air Suspension only works with the key in the ACCY position. As mentioned if it shows an E4, that is almost always a very cheap and easy fix. Other issues may be more involved of a fix.

None of the plastic on the bike is available new, if the plastic on the bike is good you will easily get your $500 back. If the plastic is really beat up, it may be hard to find replacements.

To make a rider it will need new rubber all around for sure regardless of how good the tires look.

Sitting with non use is harder on a bike than being a daily driver. Look all over for signs of dry rot on rubber or sign s of mice chewing the wires. Old wire insulation seems to be delicious to mice.

Can I damage anything by trying to start the bike as it is? I'm guessing this is just to see if it's not seized, right? Also, will the battery in my Kawasaki KLR650 be enough to start the Venture? I know this is something I can research but I'm probably going tomorrow with my trailer. The answers here are very encouraging, except for the part where no one tells me how I'm gonna tell the wife there's no more room in the garage.

First, welcome to our group!

Second, go take a look at her. Probably worth far more than the $500!

If you decide to buy it, know you should change the oil, drain all old gas from tank,carbs and lines, flush and replace the brake fluid front and rear as well as clutch. Brakes are linked (unless owner changed that) rear pedal works the left front and the rear. Hand brake works the right front. Brakes and clutch use DOT 3 fluid. I would also pull the plugs and clean/gap them or change them. I hope he has the tool kit that came with the bike...nice leather dual pouch kit. Know that the Venture uses JIS (not philips screws) so it will pay to invest in some JIS screw drivers - found on-line. Meanwhile put the battery on charge, clean the battery cables, etc..

Once that's done. Put new fuel in tank, turn on ignition and stop switch and listen for fuel pump to run. Watch for gas pouring out of 4 lines underneath bike in front of rear wheel.

If everything looks good, start her up. Go from there....

The suspension issues may be nothing more than a computer error ( ie E4), that is easily fixed!

The 89 is a solid bike. I have one and enjoy riding it year around.

Download the owners manual and shop manual...links found in the 1st Gen tech section of this forum.

Any issues can be searched on this forum...and do take a peak at the recommended links at the bottom of each search page. Usually these links are related to your search as well!

If you like what you see in the bike and this forum, please drop $12 to join. Best money you will ever spend!

Good luck...oh...and take pictures!

Thanks. I will definitely subscribe if i buy it. $12 a year is nothing for the wealth of info.

Also, The guy said that he took the motorcycle to a mechanic 6 years ago to fix the suspension and the mechanic said there were no parts available, so no fix. This sounds incredibly fishy. but then again, its rural Florida, and the internet is slow to reach some areas. It's starting to sound like this is a good find.

The batteries in these bikes are only 20 amp so they are not that big or strong. Trying to turn the engine with another battery before buying is a good idea I think. I would be surprised if it is locked up. You could get more than $500 for the parts if you decide not to fix it up. It will be a lot of work to get everything up to snuff but I'm sure you know that. But, there is a wealth of knowledge and help on this site.

First things first Pablo = :welcome::welcome1:

Glad you found us!!

Concerning the scoot,,, I have heard many similar stories to the one you tell about why the P.O. stopped riding that amazing bike.. Frankly,, those stories almost make me :95:... Top rate fix is 100% totally doable and not that bad - the shop manual shows step by step how/where to jumper to test the control valves and on the Venture - all that stuff is VERY easy to get at compared to other touring bikes of that time.. Personally though,, I wouldnt even of fooled with it,, those bikes came with what I call "Ink Pen Springs" in the forks right from Mom Yam and ALL of those original springs needed replacement (fact of life).. The easy peasy cure was/is dropping in a set of 90 dollar Progressives, 1" of preload, fresh Belray @ 12.5 weight and you now have almost as good of a front boingering in for off roading as you have on your KLR (have had numerous KLR's too - FUN BIKE for cross country touring and dual sporting along the way - OUTSTANDING MPG!!!) and guess what - you NEVER ever need air in the forks again!!! Swap the rear out for manual adjust (have thousands of miles 2 up and touring packed with the manual adjust - I LOVE EM!!) and NO MORE FANCY SMANCY AIR RIDE ISSUES (simplicity is a wonderful thing IMHO).

This bunch of lop eared Venture guru varmints has got cha on the right track as far as whether or not you should grab it.. I just might add by asking a question.. You ever the short story that Pat Macmanus wrote that was titled "Never sniff a gift fish"?? Well,, personally,, I wouldnt fool around to long sniffing a gift motorcycle either cause if you do that gift could end up getting swimming away... A Venture WITH a side car BOTH for 500 bucks:scared:... NEVER EVER EVER sniff a gift motorcycle!!

Puc

Also,, I have restored numerous scoots in my day and,, personally, if I am dealing with a bike that has sat for a good while, I always appreciate the previous owners NOT trying to start em for me.. I like to get oil in the jugs and across the cam(s) for a prelube before I spin em up.. I have seem wayyyyy to many perfectly good old motors ruined by being run dry even for a split second.. Aluminum Cam journals are very prone for this - once they get even the tiniest gaul started - things can get nasty..

I wouldnt use the starter,, maybe - if anything - a rock back and forth to see if its free BUT - even that can cause ring damage...

I know,, I am WAYYYYYY hard core and sound anal about this stuff BUT - the above has worked great for me thru the years...

Can I damage anything by trying to start the bike as it is? I'm guessing this is just to see if it's not seized, right? Also, will the battery in my Kawasaki KLR650 be enough to start the Venture? I know this is something I can research but I'm probably going tomorrow with my trailer. The answers here are very encouraging, except for the part where no one tells me how I'm gonna tell the wife there's no more room in the garage.

Who said you have to tell the wife? I had my 83 for 2 months before I let mine know... She couched me for almost a week but it was worth it... Welcome to the forum! Great people here!