IGNORED

Battery recomendations

Looking to buy a new battery and finding a huge difference in pricing. I have to believe that more expensive is probably better but at the same time I don't want to over pay. Anyone have a recommendation on a good battery for a decent price?

What would your idea of a

"decent price" be?

In the battery world, more $$$$ does not always equal better.

The AGM batteries are near the top of the price range, they will give more CCA and more reserve capacity. Both are good things. These will spin the engine faster and longer. But my experience is that they do not live as long. They are not tolerant of getting run down buy a parasitic draw that sometimes just happens, or a engine that is cranky one day and just does not want to start.

As far as bang for the buck, I have yet to find a better option than the good old fashion Yuasa wet battery. I get the most years out of a good old Yuasa.

I have used Interstate batteries for year and always get 5 years out of them. I just got one last week and cost $97.00. I don't use a battery tender thru the off season. If I can get out at least one day a month I will start it up in the garage.

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180424/80a1138df093183258aba0aeeea44434.jpg

In the battery world, more $$$$ does not always equal better.

The AGM batteries are near the top of the price range, they will give more CCA and more reserve capacity. Both are good things. These will spin the engine faster and longer. But my experience is that they do not live as long. They are not tolerant of getting run down buy a parasitic draw that sometimes just happens, or a engine that is cranky one day and just does not want to start.

As far as bang for the buck, I have yet to find a better option than the good old fashion Yuasa wet battery. I get the most years out of a good old Yuasa.

Yep,, this geezers with Fool on this one... Have had the best of luck with the wet cells.. I buy em cheap (last few off Ebay for well under 40 bucks shipped) and dont bother looking for the battery monitor hole - just tap thru a resistor to knock out that obnoxious red light.. I used to use all Walmart batteries cause I LOVED their warranty and the fact they were EVERYWHERE if ya needed a replacement BUT they done got pricey..

Besides what Jeff is saying,, another thing about the wet cell is that they seem to loose effeciency slower so you get a little more time to get the new battery in.. This is HUGE IMHO because even one slow hard turning event off a dieing battery can ruin a starter... Keeping in mind (again,, IMHO) that a poor battery is probably the hardest thing on an expensive starter motor = keeping a GOOD, new, fresh battery in the scoot is more important to me than trying to get long life out of one..

On another note,, I got a really good friend who invests heavily on his scoots,,, he spares no expense on them so spending the big bucks for Lithium Batteries = no problembo... After leaving his 30k dollar gorgeous HD stored with the battery on tender over winter he was SHOCKED to find what he called "Chernoble" when he pulled the seat to find out why it wouldnt roll over.. HUGE melt down from a tender that was MADE for Lithium... Just an FYI.....

Another FYI,, if ya go wet, dont forget to run the vent hose all the way down and also dont forget to periodically check the acid level... I have purchased them REALLY inexpensively without acid = like 25 bucks and under cheap.. If you do this,, acid is available at most auto parts stores,, when ya fill make sure you let the battery set for an hour or so after initial fill and then check it again - it should drop and need more acid.. Complete fill with acid and then do a full charge before placing in bike.. I am sure you already knew all this but just in case someone on the outside may be following this thread and they dont know,,, maybe this will help them too...

Looking to buy a new battery and finding a huge difference in pricing. I have to believe that more expensive is probably better but at the same time I don't want to over pay. Anyone have a recommendation on a good battery for a decent price?

On a '99 Gen2 Venture you should be looking at a genuine Yuasa YTX20HL-BS AGM battery for about $90-$100. I get lucky here because my powersports dealer matches all the ads for pricing so I just get em local. They are made in USA. No stickers on the battery. Everything silk screened on case.

Edited by Du-Rron

On a '99 Gen2 Venture you should be looking at a genuine Yuasa YTX20HL-BS AGM battery for about $90-$100. I get lucky here because my powersports dealer matches all the ads for pricing so I just get em local. They are made in USA. No stickers on the battery. Everything silk screened on case.

Thanks for the feedback. I'll look into that one.

Yep,, this geezers with Fool on this one... Have had the best of luck with the wet cells.. I buy em cheap (last few off Ebay for well under 40 bucks shipped) and dont bother looking for the battery monitor hole - just tap thru a resistor to knock out that obnoxious red light.. I used to use all Walmart batteries cause I LOVED their warranty and the fact they were EVERYWHERE if ya needed a replacement BUT they done got pricey..

Besides what Jeff is saying,, another thing about the wet cell is that they seem to loose effeciency slower so you get a little more time to get the new battery in.. This is HUGE IMHO because even one slow hard turning event off a dieing battery can ruin a starter... Keeping in mind (again,, IMHO) that a poor battery is probably the hardest thing on an expensive starter motor = keeping a GOOD, new, fresh battery in the scoot is more important to me than trying to get long life out of one..

On another note,, I got a really good friend who invests heavily on his scoots,,, he spares no expense on them so spending the big bucks for Lithium Batteries = no problembo... After leaving his 30k dollar gorgeous HD stored with the battery on tender over winter he was SHOCKED to find what he called "Chernoble" when he pulled the seat to find out why it wouldnt roll over.. HUGE melt down from a tender that was MADE for Lithium... Just an FYI.....

Another FYI,, if ya go wet, dont forget to run the vent hose all the way down and also dont forget to periodically check the acid level... I have purchased them REALLY inexpensively without acid = like 25 bucks and under cheap.. If you do this,, acid is available at most auto parts stores,, when ya fill make sure you let the battery set for an hour or so after initial fill and then check it again - it should drop and need more acid.. Complete fill with acid and then do a full charge before placing in bike.. I am sure you already knew all this but just in case someone on the outside may be following this thread and they dont know,,, maybe this will help them too...

cowpuc

I wouldn't mind going with a wet cell but doing a search for batteries it seems almost impossible to find one. Seems most everything is sealed now.

cowpuc

I wouldn't mind going with a wet cell but doing a search for batteries it seems almost impossible to find one. Seems most everything is sealed now.

Sorry WR,,, my feeble attempt at owning/riding and spinning wrenches on the Ventures has strickly been 1st Gens and I think I must have responded to your questions here from the main Forum shortlist and didnt realize I was in the 2nd Gen tech - my bad..

Here is good example of what I have used for years (click on link below).. I can search ebay for a battery for my 1st Gen and come up with hundreds of examples of wet cells under a variety of model numbers.. The key to buying cheap, IMHO,, is to shop a little ahead of time when its not a crisis cause,, it just seems,, that if its a crisis - Murphy steps in and the prices triple - way it happens to me anyway :big-grin-emoticon:

I picked up a similar Battery pack to the one in the link for 30 bucks last winter and its setting on the shelf waiting for real ride season and us to head west for couple months of touring with a new battery intact..

Sorry,, sometimes I talk to much, here is the link - not sure it will help you though cause of me being such a dork: https://www.ebay.com/itm/WPS-BATTERY-W-ACID-C50-N18L-A-PART-C50-N18L-A-NEW-490-2250/231517834166?epid=171229427&hash=item35e789cbb6:g:6ZQAAOSwvfZaTcj2&vxp=mtr

Sorry WR,,, my feeble attempt at owning/riding and spinning wrenches on the Ventures has strickly been 1st Gens and I think I must have responded to your questions here from the main Forum shortlist and didnt realize I was in the 2nd Gen tech - my bad..

Here is good example of what I have used for years (click on link below).. I can search ebay for a battery for my 1st Gen and come up with hundreds of examples of wet cells under a variety of model numbers.. The key to buying cheap, IMHO,, is to shop a little ahead of time when its not a crisis cause,, it just seems,, that if its a crisis - Murphy steps in and the prices triple - way it happens to me anyway :big-grin-emoticon:

I picked up a similar Battery pack to the one in the link for 30 bucks last winter and its setting on the shelf waiting for real ride season and us to head west for couple months of touring with a new battery intact..

Sorry,, sometimes I talk to much, here is the link - not sure it will help you though cause of me being such a dork: https://www.ebay.com/itm/WPS-BATTERY-W-ACID-C50-N18L-A-PART-C50-N18L-A-NEW-490-2250/231517834166?epid=171229427&hash=item35e789cbb6:g:6ZQAAOSwvfZaTcj2&vxp=mtr

Thanks cowpuc. Appreciate the link.