IGNORED

2006 RSTD LED Brake Light?

Sunman

Does anyone know if there is an LED Brake Light kit for the RSTD? I want to switch out the entire brake light assembly, and have a full LED kit. I find the LED lights on other bike just amazing. And it seems like a safety issue as well. Is there an aftermarket kit available that does not require extensive re-wiring? Any help most appreciated.

Sonny

Sunman,

Kuryakyn makes a variety of lighting products, not specifically for the RSTD or Venture, but can be made to fit.

Try this link

http://kuryakyn.com/products.asp?bn=metric&ci=2951

if this is not what you are looking for, look around at the metric cruiser section, I have seen an RSTD with the tombstone tailight, and it looked great..

Try this link I have one of heir units with the modulator to make the brake light flash and it really gets peoples attention.

http://www.customdynamics.com/Yamaha_tail_retro.htm

I'll 2nd this suggestion as well. Simple to into install and so bright you you'll wonder why they don't come stock. Even without a flasher modulator they're awesome. Welll worth their cost.

Larry

Guest tx2sturgis

Thats the unit I put in mine...and it is great. I have had other riders comment on it.

Well worth the money. Plus, it saves a few amps, so you can add some other electrical goodies and keep about the same overall draw.

Get one!

:cool10:

I really want to get one of these units. I am just trying to figure out how much it is going to cost me. Because I am in Canada, the shipping is very high, and on top of that, there will be brokerage, and taxes on top. I used to have a friend in NY, who I would ship things to, then just go and pick them up. I will see, but the one from custom dynamics seems to be the better choice. The Kuryakyn one, looks like a couple LED's on a bulb, the dynamics has many more LED's. I will keep you informed. Thanks for all the advice.

Sonny

I really want to get one of these units. I am just trying to figure out how much it is going to cost me. Because I am in Canada, the shipping is very high, and on top of that, there will be brokerage, and taxes on top. I used to have a friend in NY, who I would ship things to, then just go and pick them up. I will see, but the one from custom dynamics seems to be the better choice. The Kuryakyn one, looks like a couple LED's on a bulb, the dynamics has many more LED's. I will keep you informed. Thanks for all the advice.

Sonny

Sonny,

Here is where I got mine. http://treestumpmse.bc.ca/index.html

They're in B.C. and sell in Cdn $ at par. Great service too. Their web site is a little hard to navigate but if I can figure it out anyone can.

Here's the one I ordered http://radiantz.com/cart/index.html?c20.html&1

Sonny,

Here is where I got mine. http://treestumpmse.bc.ca/index.html

They're in B.C. and sell in Cdn $ at par. Great service too. Their web site is a little hard to navigate but if I can figure it out anyone can.

Here's the one I ordered http://radiantz.com/cart/index.html?c20.html&1

Thanks Gary!! But I am a bit confused. The link you gave me, says it has RED LEDs, but I thought with a RED lens, we needed WHITE LEDs, wouldn't RED LEDs get washed out by a RED lens? I was sure that with RED LEDs, we needed a CLEAR LENS. And that unit says for Road Star, V-star, I assume your fit or you would not be suggesting it to me. I will contact them for some more information. Thanks again buddy!

Sonny

Guest tx2sturgis
Thanks Gary!! But I am a bit confused. The link you gave me, says it has RED LEDs, but I thought with a RED lens, we needed WHITE LEDs, wouldn't RED LEDs get washed out by a RED lens? I was sure that with RED LEDs, we needed a CLEAR LENS. And that unit says for Road Star, V-star, I assume your fit or you would not be suggesting it to me. I will contact them for some more information. Thanks again buddy! Sonny

Sonny, the triangular shaped module is the one that fits. And yes, it works great with the stock red lens. Actually better in my opinion. The clear lens is for that euro look...which I personally dont care for. But its up to you, of course.

Sonny, the triangular shaped module is the one that fits. And yes, it works great with the stock red lens. Actually better in my opinion. The clear lens is for that euro look...which I personally dont care for. But its up to you, of course.

Is there a clear lens available? Any links? I kinda like the clear lens, espescially since our turn signals are clear, the red brake lens seems out of place. Or am I out of my tree on this?

Is there a clear lens available?
Yep. They have clear and smoked about half way down the page. It doesn't list the RSV or RSTD, but they're the same. The LED cards are the same too.

If you are interested in LED turn signals these work well and are quite bright. I had to give each one about two swipes of a file around the edge to get the exact fit. They have three pin boards for the fronts. The EclipzeLEDs look great on the front.

Guest tx2sturgis
Is there a clear lens available? Any links? I kinda like the clear lens, espescially since our turn signals are clear, the red brake lens seems out of place. Or am I out of my tree on this?

Yes...to have matching rear lenses, you can get a clear lens for the brake/tail lite, or you can change the turn signal lenses to red, which is what I did. As I said, I dont care for the euro look myself, so all the rear lighting on my bike, all 7 lights, are now red.

Wow, there are alot of choices out there for LED kits. I just found this one, and I think it might be the one. The best price on LED brake light alone, was $60, The best Clear lens price, was $40, this kit has BOTH for $72

http://www.nopork.com/shop_product.asp?id=CTL%2D0038%2DL&grp=Yamaha+Royal+Star

Also, they have a kit to convert your rear turn signals, into running lights. And it does not require a load equalizer. From what the guy told me on the phone, it is a RING of led's that go in AROUND the amber bulb. When you are riding, they are lit red, and act as running lights (which I never understood why Yamaha did not incorporate) And when you are signalling, they go out, to give you the amber turn signal. It certainly would increase visibility. And because you are still using the regular incandescent bulb, the load is right for flashers.

http://www.nopork.com/shop_product.asp?id=PN01315

They also emailed me a small video which I have attached here so you can see. If any southern ontario members are interested, maybe a few of us could get a decent deal, or at least share in the brokerage fees. Or if any upstate NY members are willing to let me ship to you, I would be happy to ride over and meet up, maybe do a ride, and pick up the parts.

Sonny,

When ordering from the States see if they will ship via USPS (post office). That way you don't have to pay brokerage fees. Only a $5 handling fee plus 13% taxes. Some sellers will and some won't.

Guest tx2sturgis
I too would like to light up the back end, but does a LED panel also light up the plate or do we need to figure out what to do there? Just curious before I buy and find out I need to do more to it.

Thanks,

Mark

The unit sold by Custom Dynamics, which is the Radiantz module, had 3 white LEDs facing upward to light up the plate. Works good.

• 4 weeks later...

After numerous delays, 2 LED brake light boards and 1 clear lens arrived earlier today. I ordered 1 for Dragerman, so to save on shipping. I also ordered the clear lens, as I always thought the red lens between 2 clear lenses, looked..well..out of place. The install was super easy, took old red lens off, removed bulb, installed LED brake light board bulb base, and keyed on. First problem. Out of 32 LED's on the board, 4 were non-functioning. To be sure, I checked with brake applied as well, same 4 non functioning. So, I opened the second board, to check it as well, it was fine. Called treestump, and emailed the pics that I attached here as well. Got a quick call back, and treestump said he was mailing a new one out right away, and asked that I return the other one. The bulbs took a really long time to arrive, I ordered about 3 weeks ago. I was kept informed along the way, treestump had some delays out of their control. I got the call the items shipped from BC, on Monday, arrived on Thurs, not bad. The lights really do look super bright, and I will let you know how I like them. With the clear lens, they look sharp. The 1 issue I do wonder about with the new set up, is the low visibility from the side. I do understand that brake lights are mostly seen from the rear, and from that angle, there is TONS of brightness, hard to believe anyone could possibly miss them. but from the side, there is almost no visible light. I will have to get some feedback after some rides with friends to see what they think. The lights I got were RADIANTZ, the same referenced earlier in this post.

On another note, do you think I am out of line to ask for a refund of the shipping cost to send back the defective unit? My thinking is, I paid for the items, since they are defective, should the vendor pay for return shipping? I have never had to ship anything back, anytime I have had issues, I was always told to keep or dispose of the defective item, and a replacement has been sent. Thanks for the input..

Sonny

Edited by Sunman
forgot the brand

• 7 months later...
Wow, there are alot of choices out there for LED kits. I just found this one, and I think it might be the one. The best price on LED brake light alone, was $60, The best Clear lens price, was $40, this kit has BOTH for $72

http://www.nopork.com/shop_product.asp?id=CTL%2D0038%2DL&grp=Yamaha+Royal+Star

Also, they have a kit to convert your rear turn signals, into running lights. And it does not require a load equalizer. From what the guy told me on the phone, it is a RING of led's that go in AROUND the amber bulb. When you are riding, they are lit red, and act as running lights (which I never understood why Yamaha did not incorporate) And when you are signalling, they go out, to give you the amber turn signal. It certainly would increase visibility. And because you are still using the regular incandescent bulb, the load is right for flashers.

http://www.nopork.com/shop_product.asp?id=PN01315

They also emailed me a small video which I have attached here so you can see. If any southern ontario members are interested, maybe a few of us could get a decent deal, or at least share in the brokerage fees. Or if any upstate NY members are willing to let me ship to you, I would be happy to ride over and meet up, maybe do a ride, and pick up the parts.

Well, finally I decided to go ahead and order the LED turn signal rings that are shown in the video in this post. I ordered a set for myself, and 1 for Dragerman as well. I am really amazed at the fast shipping. I ordered on Jan 22 and they arrived yesterday Jan 27, that is from California!! Lots of wires, plugs, doohickeys and whatchamacallits all included. They even have some wet-naps in the packs too, I am sure they are for wiping the drool off your chin when you see how awesome they look! I am really glad that Dragerman is my buddy, and is good with installing stuff! Come on good weather, hurry up and arrive already!!! I will let you all know how they look installed.

Well, finally I decided to go ahead and order the LED turn signal rings that are shown in the video in this post. I ordered a set for myself, and 1 for Dragerman as well. I am really amazed at the fast shipping. I ordered on Jan 22 and they arrived yesterday Jan 27, that is from California!! Lots of wires, plugs, doohickeys and whatchamacallits all included. They even have some wet-naps in the packs too, I am sure they are for wiping the drool off your chin when you see how awesome they look! I am really glad that Dragerman is my buddy, and is good with installing stuff! Come on good weather, hurry up and arrive already!!! I will let you all know how they look installed.

I think you got the Electrical Connection turn signals. You may find it helpful, or not, to read my detailed post regarding installation. I am very happy with mine, especially at night when the LEDs are very visible.

I think you got the Electrical Connection turn signals. You may find it helpful, or not, to read my detailed post regarding installation. I am very happy with mine, especially at night when the LEDs are very visible.

You are exactly right, those are the ones we got! I read a bit of the instructions that came in the kit, and I was all good up to the point where I had to open the tube of silicone. After that I was ....:confused24: with a bit of :puzzled: and then :thumbsup: when I remembered that Dragerman is good with all this installation stuff!!!! When the weather gets better we have lots of projects to get to!!! thanks for pointing me in the direction of more directions!!

Sonny

• 3 months later...

I just wanted to post a video of the installed LED ring lights, that make great use of the dark turn signal lenses, during running and braking. I think with the LED brake light board, this addition is a must for those wanting increased visibility. Dragerman also has these lights installed, and I can tell you, they make a world of difference in seeing him. They are bright, and can be seen clearly. This video is of my bike an 06 RSTD, same results can be expected on Ventures. An inexpensive way to make yourself seen. The install took about 2 hours start to finish, it helped that Charlie had done his already. No special tools are required, all connectors and wiring and circuits are included. The LED rings silicone to the inside of your signal lenses.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TwMwOIeY5b4&feature=player_embedded]YouTube - brake[/ame]

Thanks Gary!! But I am a bit confused. The link you gave me, says it has RED LEDs, but I thought with a RED lens, we needed WHITE LEDs, wouldn't RED LEDs get washed out by a RED lens? I was sure that with RED LEDs, we needed a CLEAR LENS. And that unit says for Road Star, V-star, I assume your fit or you would not be suggesting it to me. I will contact them for some more information. Thanks again buddy!

Sonny

A red lens is actually a red "filter". When you put a white light behind it, it filters out all of the colors EXCEPT red. So if you put a red LED behind a red lens, it allows all of the color from the LED to come through. Sounds crazy I know, but what in this world isn't???

I used the LED board from Custon Dynamics and changed all of my lens to clear. I just liked the clear look better. I'm planning on going with LED turn signals soon. :thumbsup:

Good luck with whatever you go with.