IGNORED

Can the Ignition Bypass Fix This??

malenurse13

I've already asked a few questions about this but haven't fixed it yet.

When riding at night, my headlights fade in and out at random times. And the lights on the gauges do the same thing. It all happens at the same time. When the headlights dim, the gauges do the same. When the headlights get real bright... the gauges do the same thing.

I've checked and clean every ground connection I can find but the problem is still there.

So my question is... Is this Ignition Bypass Relay something that might fix this??

Ignition By-pass relay for 2nd Gen RSV

attachment.php?attachmentid=111750&d=1519785041

Welll,,, it might,, I guess it all depends :big-grin-emoticon:.. I am no guru but love :Im not listening to bike issues so before one of the club electronic guru's gets here 13 - maybe I can give ya something to:240:over.

You dont mention when the lites do their dimmin and brightnin,, when those guru's do finally show up and see this thread - it may or may not help them to know exactly when the flicker flack is happening.. For instance,,, does it happen when the bike is not running - just got key on and your moving the bike or something on it? Happen while engine is running at an idle so the bikes electrical system is running off the battery? Happen only when the R's are above 2 grand so the regulator is regulatin? Does it happen when the key switch is wiggled?= If so,, then my peanut brain says ya,,, possible on the bypass??

I would say that 60% of the time when Murphy's been playin with my bikes electrical system and its making with the consistent intermittent brightening and dimmin its a sign that my voltage regulator is having problems with decision making or possibly a stator issue.. Could be as simple as a dirty terminal associated with either or one of them is getting ready to apply for retirement.. Maybe a good thing to do would be inspect/clean those terminals and also double check battery connections at the time too cause a simple loose/dirty cable therein could probably cause the situation too..

There, that'll give ya something to do while waiting for some real help :missingtooth:

Puc, I was thinking the same thing on the chargin side of the house. By-pass relay only helps the ignition switch. Usually (and I insert a "your experiences may vary") if the switch is at issue it is a matter of josseling the switch to make contact and then it starts or you get lights or what have you. there are small contacts in the switch that get corroded or pitted and just dont make good contact. Worse case scenario I have seen or heard of with a switch the thing would literally cut out on like freeway expansion joins then maybe a couple more of them frost heaves and like magic it fires off again.

So my vote goes with voltage regulator or stator. More towards the charging side of things. Does engine rev up or down? If you rev engine does it effect brightness?