IGNORED

Heading to Canada Jun 8th. Any advice from the Veteran riders?

Kernal

Greetings,

My wife and I are heading on a week long trip to the North Shore with stops in Thunder Bay then west to Kenora and then back to the USA into the headwaters of the Mississippi River.

We have secured most of our lodging with friends and family, but are spending 2.5 days in Canada and have yet to nail that down.

Passports updated, bike is being serviced and updated by someone I consider an expert. Currently looking for passing lamps for my 2007. I have the mount...need the lights.

Any advice about this trip, roads, cash vs credit cards, what to expect at the boarder would be welcome.

Thanks,

LTC Steve

Greetings,

Thunder Bay then west to Kenora

If you're camping, check out Anicinabe RV park in Kenora (you can tent there also)

https://www.anicinabepark.ca/

Take the time to do the boat tour of the lake.

Any advice about this trip, roads, cash vs credit cards, what to expect at the boarder would be welcome.

Roads are pretty good but there are some long stretches without fuel stops so make sure you top up regularly.

You can't bring more than $10,000 in cash into Canada ... I'm sure that won't be a problem LOL

No guns, marajuana, cocain, etc are allowed. Doubt that will be a problem either LOL

Some food items aren't allowed and there's a limit on the amount of booze. Tobacco on the other hand ... you can bring quite a bit of that across.

As above

As mentioned, no firearms. Obviously, you will need your passport (to get back into the US).

Go to your insurance folks and get a 'yellow card' stating you have insurance in Canada.

Have fun. It's a great trip. There are several cool waterfalls on the route.

Take warm clothes and/or electrics. Even in July/August, it is pretty chilly near the lake.

RR

As stated no firearms. Also beware of certain foods meats and fruits in particular (that goes both for entering Canada and returning to the states) Both country's have an issue with that as they fear possible cross infestation of bugs and virus etc.. Be polite Going both ways and answer all questions openly and honestly even when you think the answer is obvious. Some questions are designed not for the answer itself but to see what your reaction is. And don't overdo it. You should be able to get a check list of what is and is not allowed. Bottom line today most border patrol guards in both directions are pretty decent so just be upfront with them and you should have no issues.

With regards to clothing think in layers so you can build up or reduce warmth level as even a hot day can turn into a cold night or even a damp day the next day. Wool socks are always a good bet, as they are warm on cold days even when they get wet, comfortable and do not cause your feet to sweat so much on hot days.

Distance between fuel stops could be a challenge as they roll up the carpet early up in those areas, so I often carry a spare fuel container. Even a one liter/quart fuel bottle can be a life saver and give you some peace of mind.

Last and most important enjoy enjoy and enjoy

Edited by saddlebum

Dont step on the curb by the guard shack going into Canada. The gal we had spoke so softly I could hardly hear her, so I stepped up to the window at the shack and on the curb. She didnt like that one bit. I took 3 of us close to an hour to get across and we all were going the same place for the same reason.

Make sure your health insurance covers you when out of country. Buy CDN dollars at a bank to get the best exchange rate. Tell your credit card company where and when you are traveling. Black flies will be in season on the North Shore in June. Make sure you're sitting down when you see the price of fuel.

So good so far IMHO,,, just might add,, if your home state offers Enhanced Drivers Licenses and your a good guy (not an axe murderer or the like) then I would grab one.. We been using the socks off em for a good while now and for trouble free Cnuckian border crossin - find em to be the cats meow cause all the info is sittin in front of the gate keeper long before you pull up = easy peasy.. If your an axe murderer though,, your probably better off with the old fake pass port method and using distractive motions (like excessively swatting at those blackflies even if your inside) to disorientate the guards.

Have a great trip!

Puc

If you do generally travel with a firearm, many RV people have found various places close to the border in the USA to safely store their firearm while they cross the border. Might consider that. Also, not that I have (luckily), but in your youth, if you ever got in trouble with weed, even a simple small possession ticket, I've heard that Canada will not let you enter their country.

Thank you one and all for answering questions and giving some really great advice.

-Firearms....no problem

-$10,000 limit....again no problem...although it would be nice to have that problem.

-Blackflies.....I will have to look into a permit for them.

-Great reminders about insurance, medical, credit cards and the driver's lic.

-Also the extra fuel container.

We will send pictures and comments about our trip and comment to the suggestions we heard here.

Thanks again,

if you ever got in trouble with weed, even a simple small possession ticket, I've heard that Canada will not let you enter their country.

Good point ... if they ask you a question such as "have you ever used marijuana" or any similar question ... say NO ... even if you have.

YUP it's friggin crazy expensive up here but what's puzzling is diesel is cheaper here whereas in the US, it's more than gas :doh:

So is diesel cheaper in Canada than in the States???

Also,,, Steve or any of our other club members who are thinking of Venturing north of the border,,,, you may find additional info in this 2 minute vid helpful...

Not cheaper than in the US, just cheaper than regular gas up here.

RATS!!!!!!!!! Being a capitalist,,, I briefly thought I might have been onto another business opportunity = :missingtooth:building diesel motorcycles just for the Canadian market!!:big-grin-emoticon:

Yeh but ...You won,t need a permit to hunt them...:Cartoon_397:..Were pretty liberal up here when it comes to hunting Black flies..:motorcyclehelmet:...If memory serves me right there is no catch limit either.:canada:

Just had a thought :detective: Since Flyinfool has probably got the snow machine down for its annual maintenance, so it will be in top form come next winter..:snow: and y'all so appreciated the fine job him and I did providing some great winter fun....:fnd_(16):

I figure maybe I'll leave the screen door open :happy34: as well as the back door, so we can share our black flies with y'all for the benefit of those who are unable to make it to Canada :canada:for our Black fly open season :178: