IGNORED

grip wont stay.....

well have aftermarket grips. not real shure of brand, curgen? Any way the left one will work its way off. The wind was bad today pushing me around which made it move a lot more. Took it off at home here just pulled right off. I think there must be a piece missing. cap screws on to grip but nothing else there.

No screw to bar just open void. Any one have a pic of what should be there inside. The threads in bar end are big.

n

The grips are typically installed with some kind of adhesive. Kuryakyn sends a cyanoacrylate type glue. I'm fighting a loose grip right now too. The old stock ISO grips I got from ebay had the factory supplied glue, but the tubes were dryed rock solid. I tried pure silicone adhesive but that just peeled away with little resistance. Then I tried 3M automotive weather strip adhesive and it appeared to work but has since loosened up.

I'm going to pull it, clean it up and try Gorilla's cyanoacrylate gel.

My bike shops here have grip glue its a couple bux but I used a glob on the left side. Left it longer then the first time. First time couple hours and I had to clean up and try again. So second time I globes it on put the grip on let it sit for couple days and its holding good.

Never ride faster then your angel can fly. I am as free as the wind on my face.

While it may not be the best, I use contact cement or weather strip adhesive. When I want to remove it I just heat it with a hair dryer or heat gun to release the cement.

Mike

Heck I wouldn't even thought about doing that, that sounds like a good idea though!

Never ride faster then your angel can fly. I am as free as the wind on my face.

This probably does not need to be said, but just in case it does I going to say it anyway.

Make sure you are starting with good clean surfaces any time you apply an adhesive. For previously glued surfaces this can be hard to attain, but if you are not down to the parent material, all you are doing is applying new adhesive to the old adhesive layer, also depending on the surface, often it is beneficial to roughen up the surface to give the adhesive more surface area to grip, just be sure to clean the area after abrading it to remove any loose particles.

I know gluing up 101, but sometimes you need to be reminded of the basics, at least I know I do from time to time, but in my defense I am old and have forgot more than I remember.

Dont tell Tip but for many many years I used to snitch her hair spray for gluing on the grips of my MX bikes.. Stuff worked AWESOME and I can attest to the importance of this being so as there is not much worse that can happen to an "A" class rider who,, after showing off to the crowd by tossing the rear wheel at em while clearing a 90 foot double and then landing perfectly only to have the grip on your left handle bar slip off the bars leaving the laying on his back in the middle of the track with nothing but that little rubber grip in his hand... :bang head::doh: