IGNORED

"You say poTAto...and I say, "PoTATo.'', so let's call the whole thing off (humming).

YamahaParExcellence

I have read lots of user content on this forum, that when addressing a second rider, they refer to him or her, as a 'passenger', as their passenger.

Following is personal viewpoint and commentary;

I use to also refer to my wife, or anybody else many years ago, as a passenger...but then, got truly thinking of what she actually was, or any of my three children----->back there. Was she, or they, merely a rubber-necking 'passenger', enjoying mind relaxing, and zoning out to the great location-of-tour scenery we were moving through?

Or...should she, or they, be a fully 'integrated' part of the riding duo...like an Air force or USN pilot and his/her 'rear'...watching out for bogies surrounding them at any time.

So, I had a discussion one day with my wife, while we were riding somewhere,and asked her to be **much more** than a 'passenger' back there,... but to please be my 'rear'....and to keep watch diligently from the left, or from the right side of the roadway....for 'bogies', that can cause threat to a motorcycle, as much as a ground-to-air missile attack on a jet fighter! I said; "Hon...from now on, you don't get to just zone out...and enjoy the view...but...YOUR MISSION, hon...is to be our 'bogie' scout. I'm controlling the bike's direction and speed, and mostly need to keep my attention to the roadway, traffic way up ahead, debris that might be upon the road up ahead...so...**YOUR** mission is what can threaten us from the sides of the road...WILD LIFE, as well as a second pair of eyes to what's coming up...my redundant set of eyes!"

We had a good discussion on this...and from that very day on, I saw a marked change in her...for she was much more **engaged** (and proud) IN the tour and time in the saddle. She told me that she felt, since that great discussion, that we were a true **team** now, and more invovled,...with her formal assignment to look out for her 'due diligence, side of things'. On that day, she became a:

Co-Rider...

...with as much responsibility for our welfare, as I was ,sitting in front of her... From that day on, as a riding team, we both felt more connection to each other, as a formal safety responsibility 'mandate', to the each of us. It's been great from that day forward, folks!

So, some still might say, that I have a passenger back behind me. Some might say,... yes, I have a co-rider behind me. Some might say, hey...let me think about this...you have a point! "Hey Hon....let's talk about assigning each of us a formal responsibility when upon Tour..."

Potato...and 'Potaaato', personal commentary. :) One thing to never not keep thinking about...is to always--->Ride, (your speed, your attention and sight line, into a curve) to Ride again! Bring yourself, your co-rider, and that bike home...each ride. Everyone, please ride safe this coming season!!!! Too many 'bogies' out there today, in the form of wildlife, road debris...and inattentive, cell-phone tapping, distracted drivers. Let all of us come home safe...from each ride, the each of us!

Post Edit: One other thing, is that years ago, my wife and I when attending a GWRRA event down south...listened to a lecture and demonstration of what a co-rider should/could do, if for any reason, she or he, saw that the rider was starting to slump, or call out in distress (heart attack, stroke) and could lose control of the motorcycle at any speed...was to push the rider forward,... have their chest contact the tank top...and reaching over their reclining body, to then stand upon her/his pegs, or floor boards...and grab hold of the handle bars...gain control of the clutch/ and front brake lever, and throttle grip...and then, slowly move the bike under gentle front braking action, to the shoulder of the road..whereby the bike would pitch over, and fall over, at no forward speed, to the right, at full stop, and then she or he, could take command of the situation...attend to the stricken rider...and seek help of any nature. This was a fabulous technique...and relied upon the co-rider checking in, either by speech into the Intercom...or just a gentle squeeze or tap upon the shoulder of the rider..to make sure they were ok..and fully attentive every 10 or 15 minutes, if both were not talking. If you have never heard of this technique, or seen it demonstrated, I highly suggest you look into it. It can one day...absolutely save the both of you, from critical injury and/or death!!!

Cheers,

Joe

Edited by YamahaParExcellence

Excellent points, Joe. Maybe I will try the "co-rider" approach in hopes of my wife coming on more rides with me.

Dale.

I truly believe she will, Dale...for my wife really responded to the inclusion. As to date, she has warned me countless times of deer standing near the roadside, or just about to leave the thicket they were hiding out in, but my eagle-eye 'rear' saw them on her eye-radar, while quite frankly, my attention was somewhere else for safety. I can only imagine how many times my 'rear' has saved..... my rear!.... :)

Joe

Also;

I can't tell you how much that safety Co-Rider lecture and field demonstration resonated with all the riding couples there that day at the Wing Ding, I was mentioning about. Quite frankly, I certainly would have never come up with that idea...of her pushing me down...then standing, rising upon her pegs/floorboards and leaning over me...and safely taking our bike under her control..to the side of the grassy road...and then gently coax it to fall over onto its grass-facing (that's what they taught and demonstrated on an older-used-for purpose, Gold Wing) side. The female co-rider (demonstrator) pulled herself from the back of the bike (on its side) and then in mock...pulled her rider to a fully reclined position on the grass..and started CPR, while someone (also in the team) 'ran' up...and started a 911 call. It was so dramatic...and you could see how this was life saving for BOTH the riding team. That image, has never left us...and we have always practiced either we talk...or if we are silent...she rubs my shoulder four times per hour..and asks me if I'm 'all good'. We feel totally safe, that if (god forbid) she ever has to take over the control of the bike...she knows how...**is confident**...and would be the sole reason that we survived what could have been a catastrophe. If you want, review the technique with your wife. If you have a center stand...put the bike on it. Both you and her mount the bike...you simulate cardiac or fainting distress..and let her push you gently forward...start to step up on her pegs/boards, pushing upon your back with her chest to hold you secure...and grab both handle bar grips...and simulate pulling in, and keeping in, the clutch lever...and then start to **VERY GENTLY** apply front brake 'simulated pressure' to 'move' the bike over to the side of the highway, or roadway. That's what they taught us to do, for those that have a center stand...or a side stand that could allow you to be on the bike doing this life-saving practice maneuver.

I hope you never have to have this happen in real life...but to know...that your co-rider KNOWS what to immediately do, if she gets no response out of you...or sees you in distress, is piece of mind, that a price can't be affixed to!

Joe

Edited by YamahaParExcellence

I say Tater!! LOL With the Outlaw Clubs Tail Gunner is a important position!! But the mind set? with this goes along. The last eyes should keep a Eye out!!

No idea where I picked that up at................:innocent-emoticon:

Edited by Yammer Dan

YPE,

All good points, but I gotta ask something; you mean you went all that time before your "big conversation" with her quietly riding back there leaving you alone? Wow!

My hon from day one 20 years ago has been a bossy, talking machine, keeping me on my toes. LOL. "Watch out", "Slow it down", "There's a critter", "Be careful through here", Yada, Yada, Yada. The girl never quits yacking. I never knew they called it "co-riding". Sounds a lot like back seat driving that I hear when I'm in the cage with her. LOL.

I'm not sure I have the intestinal fortitude to tell her that what she is doing is called being a "co-rider". She would probably respond with a "no Sh** Sherlock" look, and walk away with her arrogant head held back like the queen hen that she is. LOL.

Love her to death.

Big Lenny

YPE,

All good points, but I gotta ask something; you mean you went all that time before your "big conversation" with her quietly riding back there leaving you alone? Wow!

My hon from day one 20 years ago has been a bossy, talking machine, keeping me on my toes. LOL. "Watch out", "Slow it down", "There's a critter", "Be careful through here", Yada, Yada, Yada. The girl never quits yacking. I never knew they called it "co-riding". Sounds a lot like back seat driving that I hear when I'm in the cage with her. LOL.

I'm not sure I have the intestinal fortitude to tell her that what she is doing is called being a "co-rider". She would probably respond with a "no Sh** Sherlock" look, and walk away with her arrogant head held back like the queen hen that she is. LOL.

Love her to death.

Big Lenny

Lenny, I almost lost my coffee all over my monitor, LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL! Well, all I can say, is that I must have a gem of a wife, that hums to the music playing in our helmets,...leans forward and rubs my shoulders including neck massage, gives me hugs from back there...and basically keeps to herself, unless she markedly wants to comment on something coming up ahead...usually someone's landscaping---->and wanting to take ideas from that back home. So...you suggest that I've got gold? I agree! Enjoyed your post, and cheers!

I love her dearly! :)

Joe