IGNORED

The Gun Shop owner stared and glared at me when I told him I actually like Russia

cowpuc

Speaking of ammo just how many here load their own? I have for many years now thou not much lately as shooting time interferes with riding time. All pistol and rifle for the guns I've owned. I use a RCBS single stage press. Did have a Hornady progressive for a while but sold it as it wasn't being used much. No shot shell loading either.

Larry

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great plan Pucster!

Unfortunately it won't work for me. I load all my ammo and SWMBO knows it!

I've got a love/hate relationship with Sig Sauer. I'm a holster maker and Sig Sauer is the bane of my existence on that plane. They make minor(sometimes major) milling changes to their pistols on a semi regular basis and will deny it faithfully. This makes it extremely hard for me to guarantee fitment on their products. Don't even get me started on their new "Original" P225. What a joke!

That said, I absolutely love the new Sig P365, 9mm micro. They hit the ball out of the park with this one. It is on my short list.

As far as cheap 9mm pistols go, take a look at Walther. If you can find a PPX(discontinued) grab it. They were about $250 new and may be the best bang for the buck I've ever seen. They are ugly though. They remind me of the illegitimate offspring of a High Point and a PPQ. The newer Walther Creed is in the same but different category. It's a better looking PPX still at a lower price point. The PPX is not rated for +p ammo though so if that's important to you don't bother.

$0.02, YMMV

Speaking of ammo just how many here load their own? I have for many years now thou not much lately as shooting time interferes with riding time. All pistol and rifle for the guns I've owned. I use a RCBS single stage press. Did have a Hornady progressive for a while but sold it as it wasn't being used much. No shot shell loading either.

Larry

I been trying and trying and trying to participate here and because my typing has gotten soooo slow,, I keep loosing my text so I am gonna try this one subject at a time :big-grin-emoticon: = wonder if its the weather :missingtooth::stirthepot:!!

Back when I was much younger,, my Dad and I got into hunting deer with handguns (almost as much fun as bow hunting IMHO) and the 44 mag was our weapon of choice.. I already had a back ground in loading and it wasnt long before he and I were crankin out the 44 mag rounds like crazy.. After Dad got really sick, things not being the same,,I lost interest in the GREAT hobby and sold all our/my stuff.. DEFINITELY a good hobby and some awesome memories!!dadsloader2 o(158).JPGdadsloader2 o(152).JPGdadsloader2 o(156).JPGdadsloader2 o(155).JPGdadsloader2 o(153).JPGdadsloader2 o(151).JPGdadsloader2 o(150).JPGdadsloader2 o(139).JPGdadsloader2 o(138).JPGdadsloader2 o(137).JPGdadsloader2 o(135).JPG

If the Walther operates on the blowback, (doesn't have an ejector) the reason may be that steel casing don't swell as much and seal the gases that allow it to propel the bullet forward. More gases will blow back and help the operation of the weapon. Just a WAG here!

Yeppers,, steel cases dont form like brass.. IMHO,, if your gonna shoot steel I have found it best to keep a close eye on breach cleanliness.. Just make sure you dont get a ridge build up of burned powder that can cause issues of misfires or jams when a brass case is used in the dirty breach.. Not that big of deal if ya keep your shooter clean..

Finally got around to getting a couple pics of a few of my handguns. First is the matched Bisley Rugers. 44 Mag on top. It currently has a scope mount on it when I had a 2X scope mounted for deer hunting. Bottom is the .22 LR. Next is a Long Slide AMT in .45ACP (8" barrel).

Next is a Jennings .380 Auto I keep available in the house. Planning on a 9mm whenever I can decide on a make & model.

Brings back sooo many great memories Larry..

I picked up a 44 mag Redhawk many years ago to deer hunt with.. Nice gun but it wasnt long and I soon realized that no matter what grip combo I used - I couldnt get a good space between the trigger guard and grip base to keep from getting bit... My Dad was a cop and years before I used to go shooting with him and his police Smith 38 special revolver = think plinkin with wad cutters,,, lots and lots and lots of wad cutters... If you look at the pics below, I still use his police issued holster to tote my MK1 in,, not a good fit BUT wayyyy LOTS of memories!!

Memories of Shootin Dads 38 brought me to looking at SnW for my hunting needs. Ended up with a 29 and thats what I hunted with for years.. Good shooter and very effective and no more biten.. Dad grabbed 629 stainless 44 and thats what he hunted with.. LOTS of fun!! He went stainless cause I shot my 29 loose a couple times (we used to shoot A LOT) = gap between cylinder and barrel grew.. I always told em that I thought the Rugers were a lot more solid of gun = their back straps were much beefier,, if they wouldnt have been such biters I/we would have stayed Ruger..

After hunting years ended I picked up a custom 1911... Its ugly but its got Bo-Mars, adjustable trigger, 8 flute barrel tuned up real nicely to a comp bushing.. The trigger pull is fairly light for 1911 but that bodes well with its Pachmayrs cause they fit my hands real nicely.. I LOVE shooting the 45 acp and would LOVE to grab a matching Thompson like Saunders carried in "Combat" (only in semi auto,,,,,,, not really,, wish I was rich so I could afford a Class 3 :hihi: and a 25k dollar REAL Tommy :guitarist 2: and afford to play with it too :banana: :178:)....

Gotta love this stuff,,,,, DEFINITELY a great pass time for when we CANT RIDE cause of this confounded weather :doh:!!!

DSCN6210.JPG

DSCN6209.JPG

DSCN6207.JPG

DSCN6196.JPG

DSCN6195.JPG

DSCN6205.JPG

DSCN6206.JPG

Edited by cowpuc

Years ago, I loaded all my own ammo for pistol and rifle. Never got into reloading for shotguns. I really enjoyed doing it. I used a Rock Chucker press. Not real fast but I found it very rewarding being able to experiment and optimizing my loads. I shot a lot back then. Life changed, new job, moved a couple of times and just didn't shoot nearly as much as I did back then so sold the reloading equipment and never got back into it. Probably never will but it was fun at the time.

I'm a reloader here. I have a Dillon 650 for use when churning out large batches of pistol rounds or rifle ammo (.223 and .308 for matches out to 300yds). I use an RCBS Reloader Special single stage for small batches of ammo or large rifle cases. I have a Thumbler tumbler and Dillon vibrator for cleaning and polishing brass, Lee case trimmer, etc. Probably over 20 sets of reloading dies.

I have been reloading for nearly 30 years now, I also use the RCBS Rock Chucker for everything. I load both pistol and rifle in many calibers. I also no longer shoot nearly as often as I used to. But I still have fun reloading and working on optimizing a load for a specific gun.

:stirthepot: My favorite load is for the FF600SNOW. It has a range that will just reach about a 3 miles more than the big pond is wide. I think it is @cowpucs favorite too. He keeps telling me to let er rip..............:snow2:

My favorite load is for the FF600SNOW. It has a range that will just reach about a 3 miles more than the big pond is wide. I think it is cowpucs favorite too. He keeps telling me to let er rip..............

Sure glad I'm far enough away that I get mostly leftovers from that infernal snow machine of yours Jeff. :snow2: I do applaud you for spreading the love around this past winter too. Now if Saddlebum would of kept that door shut better we'd of had a much more normal milder winter.

I have been reloading for nearly 30 years now, I also use the RCBS Rock Chucker for everything. I load both pistol and rifle in many calibers. I also no longer shoot nearly as often as I used to. But I still have fun reloading and working on optimizing a load for a specific gun.

:stirthepot: My favorite load is for the FF600SNOW. It has a range that will just reach about a 3 miles more than the big pond is wide. I think it is cowpucs favorite too. He keeps telling me to let er rip..............:snow2:

I use a single stage RCBS too. Actually a couple of A2's. One for sizing and de-priming, and one for a seating. That way I don't have to keep changing the dies out. They were cheep enough. I think both were under $40 bucks. The last one was rode hard and put away wet, so had to recondition it. Replaced all the fasteners with stainless...

2017-04-03 08.41.00.jpg2017-04-09 16.49.57.jpg2017-04-09 16.50.24.jpg2017-04-29 18.24.59.jpg

With the exception of my Dillon Super Swage 600 and my OHaus 10-10 scale, I run all Lee Precision reloading equipment. It's what I started out on and Lee has never failed me so It's what I keep on with.

Lee Breech Lock Challenger single stage for my precision rifle loads and the Lee Load Master for my hand gun and bulk rifle ammo.

I really like the Load Master. It very quick and easy to change calibers and I have tool heads set up for all my hand gun loads and 2 heads set up for both .300blk and .223/5.56. One head is for case processing with decapping die, full length resizing die and Quick Trim die. I also prime in this process. The second head charges, seats the bullet and crimps with a Powder COP die between charging and seating.

I love the new Lee Auto Drum powder drop. What a huge improvement on the already good Auto Disk.

I can have a dedicated powder drop on every tool head for under $40.00 each. All told, I have less cash tied up in my reloading set up for half a dozen calibers than I would in one Dillon 650 press alone.

I guess you could say I'm a Lee Fanboise!

Edited by luvmy40

With the exception of my Dillon Super Swage 600 and my OHaus 10-10 scale, I run all Lee Precision reloading equipment. It's what I started out on and Lee has never failed me so It's what I keep on with. I can have a dedicated powder drop on every tool head for under $40.00 each all told, I have less cash tied up in my reloading set up for half a dozen calibers than I would in one Dillon 650 press alone.

I guess you could say I'm a Lee Fanboise!

I just picked up a bunch of Lee Loader stuff in an auction. Looks very nice, and the retail prices are really nice compared to RCBS or Dillon....

OK guys....I'll tell you a secret..........ALWAYS take and extra empty pistol case with you to the gun range or shop.....then when you find another gun, just put it in the extra case and slip in into the house....wife will see you leaving with two guns and return with two guns.....LOL

I reloaded lots of rifle and pistol on a Rock Chucker. Have a Dillon now that I need to get set up.

I reload all my shot gun shells for ATA shooting. Mec 9000 progressive.

If anyone finds an old S & W 3913 9mm...pick it up. great gun and small enough to conceal if you want. Wish I would have never sold mine but I felt like I had to for reason's I won't tell here.

So, how would you like quality .22lr ammo for 7cents a round?

Here's the catch. You need to join a CMP affiliated club. Thats Civilian Marksmanship Program, which used to be the Department of Civilian Marksmanship run by the US military until Clinton decided he didn't want the Guvment involved in training/helping civilians. CMP took over the ex-DCM programs and still has a loose affiliation with the military, but is a non-gov't organization now.

CMP runs some matches for service rifle/pistol and distributes the gov't surplus M1 Garands. And -heads up- there are .45acp M1911 surplus pistols going to be available on a very limited basis soon.

See: http://estore.thecmp.org/Catalog/Item/4C22ELYSTD-5000

Sales help support the CMP.

OK guys....I'll tell you a secret..........ALWAYS take and extra empty pistol case with you to the gun range or shop.....then when you find another gun, just put it in the extra case and slip in into the house....wife will see you leaving with two guns and return with two guns.....LOL

I reloaded lots of rifle and pistol on a Rock Chucker. Have a Dillon now that I need to get set up.

I reload all my shot gun shells for ATA shooting. Mec 9000 progressive.

If anyone finds an old S & W 3913 9mm...pick it up. great gun and small enough to conceal if you want. Wish I would have never sold mine but I felt like I had to for reason's I won't tell here.

So if we take off and take Two Bike covers with us........:think::backinmyday:

So, how would you like quality .22lr ammo for 7cents a round?

Here's the catch. You need to join a CMP affiliated club. Thats Civilian Marksmanship Program, which used to be the Department of Civilian Marksmanship run by the US military until Clinton decided he didn't want the Guvment involved in training/helping civilians. CMP took over the ex-DCM programs and still has a loose affiliation with the military, but is a non-gov't organization now.

CMP runs some matches for service rifle/pistol and distributes the gov't surplus M1 Garands. And -heads up- there are .45acp M1911 surplus pistols going to be available on a very limited basis soon.

See: http://estore.thecmp.org/Catalog/Item/4C22ELYSTD-5000

Sales help support the CMP.

Dang it...................................:mo money:

Ya just had to put that where I could see it............................:mo money:

:stirthepot: My favorite load is for the FF600SNOW. It has a range that will just reach about a 3 miles more than the big pond is wide. I think it is cowpucs favorite too. He keeps telling me to let er rip..............:snow2:

And the components of that particular wild cat load must have found their way off Uncle Sams hit list for high prices this last year because I know Fool is a price shopper like I am and that he dont overspend on nuttin.. Considering that he has been bench testing that load and perfecting it for the last 7 months = DEFINITELY high production, low cost yield of a load!!

I'm a novice reloader. I got started in 2013 when everything guns was very scarce. I bought a Dillon SDB because I new I would never want to reload rifle ammo, yeah right. After we picked up a couple rifles, and, California kept passing laws restricting gun and ammo purchases I decided I needed to reload rifle too. So I bought a Dillon XL650. Then theneighbor next door asked if I was interested in some reloading stuff. I said sure, can't have to much gun stuff. He gave me several tubs of stuff, including a Dillon RL550.

We need to go shooting more so that I can justify reloading more. The problem is, the range that was just 15 minutes away closed for a remodel 3 years ago and is still closed. Now the closest range is about an hour away.

so much good reading here

ok to try to cover all things written:

• EDC is springfield XDs 3.3 .45
  • love my 686 6 inch wheel gun
  • re load 9mm, .45 acp, and .223 using the red one :) love Lee for the CS and cost
  • certified instructor for the NRA
  • amateur gunsmith (online course)(need hands on)
  • weird gun? own a 1985 tokarev
  • hate steel ammo LOL
  • working on 2nd AR15 build
  • no glock fanboys here LOL

carry on

so much good reading here

ok to try to cover all things written:

• EDC is springfield XDs 3.3 .45
  • love my 686 6 inch wheel gun
  • re load 9mm, .45 acp, and .223 using the red one :) love Lee for the CS and cost
  • certified instructor for the NRA
  • amateur gunsmith (online course)(need hands on)
  • weird gun? own a 1985 tokarev
  • hate steel ammo LOL
  • working on 2nd AR15 build
  • no glock fanboys here LOL

carry on

OK... I've never seen a wheel gun.. Does it shoot wheels?? :whistling: Maybe they make car tires go flat?? Maybe they're wheely wheely cool?? :doh: But.. What ever happened to REVOLVERS????? :confused07: The cylinder revolves..it doesn't roll.. Maybe it just sounds COOL?? :snow2: I guess I'm just too old fashion.. :backinmyday::backinmyday::backinmyday: All Old Revolver owners UNITE!! :icon_lurker:yosemitesm.2.gif

Edited by Condor

OK... I've never seen a wheel gun.. Does it shoot wheels?? :whistling: Maybe they make car tires go flat?? Maybe they're wheely wheely cool?? :doh: But.. What ever happened to REVOLVERS????? :confused07: The cylinder revolves..it doesn't roll.. Maybe it just sounds COOL?? :snow2: I guess I'm just too old fashion.. :backinmyday::backinmyday::backinmyday: All Old Revolver owners UNITE!! :icon_lurker:http://www.venturerider.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=112218

we call them that cause they do shoot wheels better LOL

I too like the Sigs, have 2 at the moment. a P238 .380 and a P938 9mm, of the 2 the P238 seems to be the more accurate shooter. As for places to buy ammo, I usually end up buying by the case from https://www.targetsportsusa.com/t-bulkammo.aspx

Hey Raggy,,, went State land target practicing recently and, in the process,, I got a whole new idea for a Northern Michigan ride called an Ice Cream Shoot... Numerous steel targets (old car rims so they "gong" when hit!!) are placed in strategic state/federal land locations in the Baldwin area.. The group plays follow the leader to each location, range rules will be 5 shots per stop, per target = for safety sake, magazines are left empty and each round is loaded singularly into the breach as the shooter steps up to shoot = hand guns only and caliber dont matter.. 50 cents into "kitty" for each miss hit. End of ride at Jones Ice Cream where Kitty is split between participants....

:7_2_102[1]::bikersmilie::7_2_104[1]::7_6_3[1]::7_6_2[1]::900[1]::duck::duck::duck::duck::duck::duck::duck::duck::duck::duck::duck::duck::duck::duck::duck::biker::biker::biker::biker::biker::biker::biker::biker::biker::biker::biker::biker::biker::biker::biker::biker::biker::biker::fnd_(16)::fnd_(16)::fnd_(16)::fnd_(16)::fnd_(16)::fnd_(16)::ice_awesome-vi46644:ice_awesome-vi46644:ice_awesome-vi46644:ice_awesome-vi46644:ice_awesome-vi46644:fatsmiley::big-grin-emoticon:DSCN6224.JPGDSCN6219.JPGDSCN6216.JPG