IGNORED

Slow Tach

I have seen the same thing with my tach. I went so far as to tear the tach apart to see if it could be rectified by lubing it up. It can be loosened up to work more freely for awhile but it would go back to its sluggishness self when the weather became colder. I am tired of fighting it and just ignore it. After riding for awhile it will begin to act like it should. I was told that a sluggish tach could be a problem with the TCI box. To see if this was the problem I bought a used box on e-bay. The tach still acted the same. I upgraded to the programmable TCI box by ignitech some years ago and still have a sluggish tach so I do not believe that was the problem ether. It is just tired. The tach gets its signal from the number 2 coil which could I suppose be a problem but my venture runs tip top with mileage in the 40's and all cylinders firing and coming up to temperature correctly using a infrared temp gun. If you find a long term lube fix for it I would be interested in what you used.

The tach worked perfectly all winter and did not become tardy until the temps came up although it is still a bit frosty when starting early in the morning or late at night. It isn't slow when starting during the day when it is warmer or even after running for a few seconds. Seems to be normally responsive after the initial slow start.

I guess it could be a poor connection that is worse when it is cold.

If I could catch sight of that monkey I'd offer it a 30/30 pill.

• 2 months later...

Just got the old Venture out of storage this week. I've been struck with the slow tach syndrome! Glad to have found this thread, as I wasn't looking forward to the alternative solutions. Mind you getting at the tach mechanism isn't a fun job either. A job for next winter.