IGNORED

Just picked up my 2018 Star Venture

Zelthian

Are you looking at your knuckles in the mirrors? That was my problem on the eluder with the bars up high.

It it a great feature to be able to rotate the bars. Anyone reading this make sure to protect the tank with 4” of jacket or towel when rotating the bars. If they fall the switch towers dent the tank!

ah...don’t ask me how I know ...

glad you found a fix. I needed highway pegs to allow pushing back against the back rest/back of the seat.

VentureFar...

Man...I'm glad you posted this warning. I'm taking delivery next week..and will for sure, place a 6 inch piece of foam (camping bed sort of stuff) across the tank top, if I ever need to adjust. A great tip..and sorry for reading that you ah..er...found out the hard way. Are you replacing the tank, or body shop?

Man...I'm glad you posted this warning. I'm taking delivery next week..and will for sure, place a 6 inch piece of foam (camping bed sort of stuff) across the tank top, if I ever need to adjust. A great tip..and sorry for reading that you ah..er...found out the hard way. Are you replacing the tank, or body shop?

Lucky for me it was a Yamaha factory loaner for magazine testing.

Did you read my reviews of the venture and the eluder?

https://ultimatemotorcycling.com/2018/02/07/2018-yamaha-star-eluder-test-death-valley-bust/

https://ultimatemotorcycling.com/2018/03/01/iron-butt-comparison-2018-yamaha-star-venture-vs-personalized-2007-royal-star-venture/

VentureFar...

Yes, I certainly did, and enjoyed the review very much. I must have missed the part where you mentioned about protecting the tank. It will be from hereon-out...anything to do with the handlebars!

I didn’t write that in either review. I did write it up on our forum in two places. I was very embarrassed about that and the magazine has a large readership including the folks at Yamaha. It made a sizable ping in a 400 mile new bike tank!

VentureFar

Did the test ride last September with the wife unit, and put the deposit down then and there. Picked it up on one of the few warm days in February up here. Have been out only once since then, but love it. Was looking for something a little lower and with an easier clutch than the Gold Wing, but with all the comfort and touring features. So far this seems to fit the bill to a tee!

2018 Venture TC 01 - w.jpg

I finally got to lay eyes on one yesterday in Nashville. Great looking bike, did set on it and raised off the stand, it balanced well. I messed around with it 20-30 minutes without a salesman so much as saying hi so we left. Wasn't looking to buy it but was shopping for gear for the wife, we went elsewhere. I'll look again in a few years after the kinks get worked out of them.

...you know, you be can run over by a bus, tomorrow...!

Ride for today...take one of these babies outta the showroom...we all don't know...if those 'in a few years' years...will be still there for us, down the road. Too many of my friends and family thought that (myself included...) as well. Accidents, health issues, money issues down the road,....Sometimes, the **now**...is 'the deal'.

Cheers!

Did the test ride last September with the wife unit, and put the deposit down then and there. Picked it up on one of the few warm days in February up here. Have been out only once since then, but love it. Was looking for something a little lower and with an easier clutch than the Gold Wing, but with all the comfort and touring features. So far this seems to fit the bill to a tee!

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=111977

My gawd...does that look great! Congrat's to you...and I wish you many a care-free miles! What a great looking ride! Can't wait for mine, in the same color!

How's the sound system? My 2008 Gold Wing had many more amps of output...but I have heard that this bike actually out-performs the Gold Wing in clarity AND volume from the speakers. I'd love to read from you, your take. I assume that you came from a Wing also? If so...what year...and how do you compare to your present ride? Thanks, waiting to read....

I'm supposed to get mine, next week, or the week thereafter.

Edited by YamahaParExcellence

...you know, you be can run over by a bus, tomorrow...!

Ride for today...take one of these babies outta the showroom...we all don't know...if those 'in a few years' years...will be still there for us, down the road. Too many of my friends and family thought that (myself included...) as well. Accidents, health issues, money issues down the road,....Sometimes, the **now**...is 'the deal'.

Cheers!

I totally agree about tomorrow. However I'd rather stick to a tried and true ride for a while. I know what to expect from the 2 Ventures I have. Once the new technology proves out I may consider one. Flip side of that is I love what I have and can buy lots of tires and gas for the $25k. They look like awesome bikes and hope they show the same quality of past Ventures. I sincerely hope it's the best bike to hit the road and you love it, it's just not for me right now. The 07 RSV has 38k on the clock and lots of miles left in her. Hope to have 40k on her by this time next week. Enjoy the bike.

My wife and I rode one while on vacation in Florida last month, came home and bought it at HER urging! After riding a Victory Vision for the past 10 years and just shy of 40,000 miles, I'm looking forward the coming ad-Venture! (Pun intended) It took a long time for someone to build a bike even more comfortable than the Victory. My last Yamaha was a 1974. Looks to me like they have a winner here. Rode it down the street yesterday when they delivered it. 34 degrees. Today, 14 degrees and snow. :(

20180330_143640.jpg

Edited by NOHAWG

My wife and I rode one while on vacation in Florida last month, came home and bought it at HER urging! After riding a Victory Vision for the past 10 years and just shy of 40,000 miles, I'm looking forward the coming ad-Venture! (Pun intended) It took a long time for someone to build a bike even more comfortable than the Victory. My last Yamaha was a 1974. Looks to me like they have a winner here. Rode it down the street yesterday when they delivered it. 34 degrees. Today, 14 degrees and snow. :(

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=111983

Gorgeous! C'mon Spring!

...in the Eternal scheme of things, this isn't even the blink of an eye.

I totally agree about tomorrow. However I'd rather stick to a tried and true ride for a while. I know what to expect from the 2 Ventures I have. Once the new technology proves out I may consider one. Flip side of that is I love what I have and can buy lots of tires and gas for the $25k. They look like awesome bikes and hope they show the same quality of past Ventures. I sincerely hope it's the best bike to hit the road and you love it, it's just not for me right now. The 07 RSV has 38k on the clock and lots of miles left in her. Hope to have 40k on her by this time next week. Enjoy the bike.

Right....and if you are totally happy with the status-quo...why even change that? Right... Safe rides!

Cheers,

Hopefully there was no salt dust on those roads!

A great looking bike...sound's like you and your wife will certainly enjoy the purchase!

Safe rides! There's been rain over the last couple of days in the Toronto area. 45-50 F days, and 30 F nights. As long as there is no further salting of the roads...I'm on schedule to ride my bike home next week. Can't wait...especially with great looking pictures of all of yours!

It seems to me that Yamaha is grabbing all the Victory riders..... has anyone bouhgt one that owns the Original V4 Venture?

In response to YamahaParExcellence's post, my previous ride was a 2012 Gold Wing. I really wanted something a little lower, and with an easier clutch, and more of a cruiser style. I was really surprised at just how easily it handles; feels like a very low center of gravity, especially given the weight. Course having my feet flat on the ground helps as well. The clutch is somewhat easier than the Wing - not as much as I had hoped, but less just the same. Helps with the arthritis in my left hand. I'm no audiophile, but the sound system sounds great. I used to play music on the mounted speakers on the Wing, and these are at least as good. As noted elsewhere on this site, I'm somewhat underwhelmed with the GPS right now. I used BaseCamp to plan detailed routes then uploaded them to the Wing. So far I have not figured out how to get more than about 5 way-points uploaded into the Venture. I am planning a week-long trip to the West Virginia area next month and hope to wring it out pretty good there.

In response to YamahaParExcellence's post, my previous ride was a 2012 Gold Wing. I really wanted something a little lower, and with an easier clutch, and more of a cruiser style. I was really surprised at just how easily it handles; feels like a very low center of gravity, especially given the weight. Course having my feet flat on the ground helps as well. The clutch is somewhat easier than the Wing - not as much as I had hoped, but less just the same. Helps with the arthritis in my left hand. I'm no audiophile, but the sound system sounds great. I used to play music on the mounted speakers on the Wing, and these are at least as good. As noted elsewhere on this site, I'm somewhat underwhelmed with the GPS right now. I used BaseCamp to plan detailed routes then uploaded them to the Wing. So far I have not figured out how to get more than about 5 way-points uploaded into the Venture. I am planning a week-long trip to the West Virginia area next month and hope to wring it out pretty good there.

Thanks for the reply. Hopefully, your concerns with the GPS portion of things, will be attended by means of a software update now, or down the line...

Cheers,

Joe

I have had trouble with Base Camp also. I have had good results with HD Ride planner but you have to transfer the route to Tyre to travel to load to my Garmin but you may not need Tyre for the new Venture. I live in the eastern Panhandle of WV. if you get this way give me a shout.

Sales guy snapped the picture before I had a chance to smile, but still... Any excuse to get out on it...

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=111908

Naven't been on here in ages, but if that were me standing there, I guess the new bike would make me smile a bit, but the cost, well; let[s just say I couldn't afford one anyway and leave it at that, lol.[/b]

• 4 months later...
I'll do a full write-up once I have more miles on her (just 100 so far in the first day), but I'd like to share a few things.

I did a test-ride before I bought it. I was very nervous because of how heavy the bike is (I traded in a 2011 Victory Cross Roads) and I was concerned about being able to handle it at low speed. I was VERY surprised at how well balanced the bike is. You can feel the weight when you start to bring it up off the kickstand, but it subsides pretty quickly. Low speed isn't a problem even with a passenger (I've ridden with my son). But the best surprise: accelerating from a stop is EFFORTLESS. The bike doesn't move like it weighs over 950 pounds. The torque expresses itself in a way that makes the bike seem much lighter than it is. Power delivery is very smooth.

The bike does give off heat at a stop. It's still cool here in the Denver area (highs in the 50s, near 60), so the heat isn't a problem so far, and as soon as you start moving it goes away. Judging from my experience with the Cross Roads, it's not that much more than I'm used to.

The reports of all the power being in the low band are true. I'm still in break-in, so I'm not pushing it, but it really likes to be down in the 1800-2500 (ish) RPM range. Folks who are used to revving their engines during acceleration up to 4000 rpm and beyond will feel like they're short-shifting, but that's just how the bike is designed. Stay in that range, and the bike just does what you want with no effort.

It should be noted for the technology-challenged that this bike comes with a completely separate infotainment system manual (not available online to download from what I could find). It's fairly straight-forward, but that's coming from the perspective of a guy who is pretty well-adjusted to technology.

Side Note: This is my first bike with heated seats and grips. I'm kicking myself for not having them sooner.

You just told my story. Traded a 2015 Vic Magnum (after having a XR) and will be getting the TC this Saturday. Test ride experience with and without my wife echos yours. Test ride an Indian before the TC and liked it but too $$ and not as creature friendly. Congrats to you and yes keep us updated.