IGNORED

Took up shooting again

tufftom4

Now that I gave up riding I needed another hobby so I went back to my roots "Marine" and took up shooting again I know with all this gun control stuff going on it might be the wrong time but I enjoy it. I bought a Ruger ar 556 and put a scope with a green laser and reflex sight on with a brass catcher. There is an outdoor range in Okeechobee that is putting in a 60 site rv park that should be done in 2 months then I will take the motor home and do some weekends there.

thumbnail_IMG_20180312_113052287_HDR.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_20180312_113101054_HDR.jpg

Now that I gave up riding I needed another hobby so I went back to my roots "Marine" and took up shooting again I know with all this gun control stuff going on it might be the wrong time but I enjoy it. I bought a Ruger ar 556 and put a scope with a green laser and reflex sight on with a brass catcher. There is an outdoor range in Okeechobee that is putting in a 60 site rv park that should be done in 2 months then I will take the motor home and do some weekends there.

Did you get the brass catcher with the idea of reloading - or you just didn't feel like picking up all the brass?

All the best to you,

zag

I bought a Sig Sauer AR15 from the Walmart in Homestead, FL when I worked there about 6 years ago. I sighted it in at a range in Key Largo where a friend had membership and I haven't fired it since. But, the state opened up an outdoor range just outside of Wilmington so I plan to take it there for a little practice. Those indoor ranges close by will allow you to fire rifles but it's just too freaking loud. I respect my ears too much to fire the thing indoors.

I bought a Sig Sauer AR15 from the Walmart in Homestead, FL when I worked there about 6 years ago. I sighted it in at a range in Key Largo where a friend had membership and I haven't fired it since. But, the state opened up an outdoor range just outside of Wilmington so I plan to take it there for a little practice. Those indoor ranges close by will allow you to fire rifles but it's just too freaking loud. I respect my ears too much to fire the thing indoors.

Try using earplugs. I cannot fire anything without some hearing protection. The cheap little things that you jam into your ears work pretty good.

zag

Try using earplugs. I cannot fire anything without some hearing protection. The cheap little things that you jam into your ears work pretty good.

zag

I use ear muffs which are good and lately I've been using ear plugs in addition to ear muffs. I still would not fire that AR15 at an inside range. I was at an inside range when another shooter was firing one and it was too loud for me.

I bought a pair of Caldwell Noise Canceling Earmuffs. It's very freaky talking to another person and not hear the rifle go off... They do have limitations tho-.. When at the range with a lot of guns going off you can only hear about every fifth word.... Then ear plugs are good...

I got a pair of Walker's on sale at Cabela's. Usually around Cd$120, but often on sale around half that! Will be cheaper down there!

Only used them a few times at the range but I found them excellent. My hearing isn't brilliant anyway but I can hold a normal conversation, they have a volume control to amplify speech but they really attenuate any loud/ sudden firearm noises.

I do find them a little tight after a while, but I guess they have to be to seal around the ears.

https://www.cabelas.ca/product/82262/walkers-game-ear-ultimate-alpha-muff

FWIW & For the price I highly recommend them.

OMG! That is a black ugly gun...must be an assault rifle.

Hey it looks great. Being a Ruger I am sure it shoots great also. I was just making fun of the dumb a$$es. Shooting is a fantastic substitute for riding. I just don't get to the range as often as I'd like.

So how do you like it? Accurate?

What made you get that particular model as opposed to other similar ones by other manufacturers? Make? Reputation?

Hope it provides you with many hours of enjoyment :)

The dealer I got it from said all the people he has sold it to love it it is accurate and very dependable and you can fire 223 rounds through it but you can't fire 556 through a 223 so that and me being a marine made me get the 556.

Did you get the brass catcher with the idea of reloading - or you just didn't feel like picking up all the brass?

All the best to you,

zag

I got the brass catcher because it is so convenient there is a zipper on the bottom to empty it in a bucket so you don't have to pick them up.

I've got a Ruger Mini 14. Wood stock, no customizations. I have two - 10 round magazines, two - 20 round magazines, and 1 - 30 round magazine. Luckily mine has a wood stock and is not all black so it's NOT an assault rifle. :whistling:

Right on brother.

When, 25 years ago, was dating my wife guns came into my side of issues to be discussed. So I just asked straight up how she felt about guns. She said no problem as her dad was a lifetime NRA member. She said she did not shoot.

Since I am so handsome and irresistible icon7.png she could be just saying that so she could take advantage of me. So test number two. I like Mini 14s so I showed her one not dressed up with a five rounder and wood stock. I asked her if it was an assault weapon or scary. She said no. Then I dressed it in private with a 30 rounder, folding stock, and all the "black stuff". Same question: She said she did not know what an assault weapon was but it did look a little more intimidating. She handled it. I explained what I did to the same gun. She was OK with it. She passed the test. So, I let her have her way with me and married her with no regrets.

The Wife may have a different take on the last sentence but that is my story.

She did request a handgun for one of her birthdays. She took the Oklahoma Concealed Carry course but we moved to Texas soon after. She hasn't taken the Texas one.

My cc permit is a FL permit. It is recognized in about 34 states, some with conditions. In SC it is recognized only if I lived in FL. No such restrictions in NC that I am aware of but mostly Dems ran our state for decades. I worked in FL for over 3 1/2 yrs when I got the permit and there if you are a military veteran you don't have to take the training class. I got my permit in less than two weeks after applying.