IGNORED

wow decited to fix my old xp computer

rbig1

well bought a new video driver. I was just going to throw parts at it. Got to watching the good old youtu saw some vids on replacing back light. so I took it apart one more time. The one side of bulb was separated from wire and ends were black. Well already spent 20.68 on driver whats 7 bucks more. Just about way to blind to see those miniature screw heads. But I got it apart. Any of ya change one of these ccfl bulbs. FB_IMG_1520816270694 (762x1024).jpgFB_IMG_1520816289962 (576x1024).jpg:pushups:

Nope. Your in deeper than I ever went. My fixing amounts to cleaning it of non essentials and dust nothing more. I hear ya on the size of the screws that are being put on things add a little twitch and they are gone! :puzzled:

We used to call that black wire disease, the copper on the negative wire turns black and becomes less conductive until it gets bad enough to break.

I have never had to mess with the display of a laptop but I have had to do many other things inside of them. It always took a bit of searching but I always found a manual online somewhere that says how to take it apart and get it back together. Some time it is not logical like an engine would be.

It helps to take pics as you unplug things to be sure they get back where they belong. also pics of mechanical things will help later. Pay attention to the screws as you remove them, sometimes there is one or 2 spots with a different length screw, keep those separate and mark the spots, there is a good reason the spent extra money to have a different length screw in that spot.

Before I spent money on a new back light, I would at least try to solder that wire back in place, even if it meant replacing the whole or part of the wire with a new one, but then I am pretty cheap. You can either keep cutting the wire back until you find clean copper or manually clean the copper strands so that you can solder to it to splice in more wire.

I work on some really tiny stuff, it is quite common to see a magnifier planted on my head. Something similar to

71Is0pkflnL._SL1465_.jpg

This makes working with the tiny parts a lot easier.

Edited by Flyinfool

Well the end of the bulb rotted off along with the wire. I think it may have leaked the mercury out of the bulb toward the end of its life and finished killing the wire. I broke the other end off when trying to get it off as it was stuck real good and just as black. Had to order one with the wire installed as even the rubber caps were toast. Should be a challenge to put back together with out breaking it. Shaky hands don't help with this. Don't think the screws could get smaller. Think I,ll try to find a set of those glasses. I also think this is a one time deal wont do another one unless I have another weak moment.

well it has my old igntec programs. And my tool inventory from back then. Plus you ever try something just to see how big of a pain it is. lol There must be something wrong with me. hahaha. I tink I's can dood it real goods.

I'm writing this on the old xp. D.on't think I want to do that bulb again. Its still updating right now. Was surprised it hooked up to new wireless. The anti virus expired in 2012. lol Will post pic of screen when i get phone up to date.