IGNORED

New Venture Pricing

"Dang! You're from Michigan?!?!?!?! WE LOVE THAT STATE! LOVE the west side and Lake Michigan. The Dunes...Traverse City...did the Tunnel of Trees! Thanks for your well wishes, and invites too!

As a matter of fact...wait...let me get the bottle, be right back...(the BEST rum I have every tasted...be right back...)

......back...have you ever visited this place?------>Northern Latitudes Distillery? Let me tell ya...I like rum, if I'm going to have a hard drink...and about to do so-----> THIS IS THE BEST RUM ON THE PLANET! THE BEST! I know that I yelled that out...but to all rum lovers...THIS...is to sip for!

The place is an on-site distillery...that has such neat and different takes on hard liquors. For instance, there is a white horse-radish Vodka..that people (no lie...) will travel TO----> Traverse City area, JUST to pick this up...if you are a vodka lover...you want this...lol. Ok..end of commercial segment, lol. Rum drinkers...you can't order on line...they can't ship (Michigan law on hard liquor (dumb)) so you have an excuse to visit Traverse City, Michigan...and the wife can pick up the Vodka... Deal? WHALEBACK SPICED RUM, is the ticket! Rum drinkers, rejoice!

Cowpuc...also...that by the side of the road Smoke House eatery? What's the proper name of it..do you and your wife know? Anyway...we were all starving...had just picked up from the above mentioned...and saw all the hub-bub around this place. I ordered the smoked brisket sandwich and basket. LAWRD! with the first bite...I am a major carnivorous smoke meat hound...put spareribs in front of me...and see a rack gone in 23 seconds...that sort of thing..lol...anyway...they had smoked many large briskets of beef for over 12 hours...and my eyes rolled like slot machine numbers with the first bite. That lasted less than 23 seconds..so I had to get up from the picnic table and load up again. I have no shame...when truly...truly (a long hour, hickory or apple wood smoker is in play) smoked meat in in the offing...no shame :( "

Cheers,

Smokin' Beef Brisket Joe

Just for clarification, Traverse City and Northern Michigan is NOT Upper Michigan. It is the place where trolls reside below the bridge. [emoji563]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are you absolutely sure, lol? I have friends that refer to Michigan as a split state...in other words, "I live in UPstate Michigan. Oh? I live DOWNstate. What about you...well, I live in the U.P. Upper Peninsula

Cheers!

Joe

I’m a Yooper says it all, Joe!

Mike

Yep...you'd certainly speak with authority!

BTW...when we had our Wing, two years ago...we came up to...Picture Rocks, or Painted Rocks?...I'd have to go look at the site again...but we had a great time...ALL EXCEPT for the ravenous mosquitoes, the dag nabbit deer flies..and what were the other blood sucking things you folks have to deal with up there...er...ah...OH YES...------>>>>>>STABLE FLIES. Dang...they don't bite you...no...they actually EAT YOU!

http://roadtreking.com/the-curse-of-michigans-up-biting-black-and-stable-flies/

We walked the sand dunes while there, (truly...no word of a lie!) in our rain suits and with our helmet's on...because of the mosquitoes and Stable Flies, that simply would not leave you alone.....

Yah eh der Joe, except for Deer camp and wood ticks you’ve experienced the essence of being a yooper. Now if it would just quit snowing.....

The Second Gens had 5 year warranty without running any of it through an "extended warranty" process as they are doing for the new Third Gen. Not saying there is any difference from the Second to Third Gen warranty coverage, just clarifying the 5 year warranty has been in place for previous Ventures and RSTD's.

Look at number six under Specific Exclusions in enclosed 5 year warranty document.

48 State_MTSP_11_0825 EFFECTIVE 12_2011.pdf

Edited by Du-Rron

Look at number six under Specific Exclusions in enclosed 5 year warranty document.

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=112012

Wow, this scared the heck out me (purchased the new Venture). So I called Yamaha Y.E.S , turns out the infotainment center (Audio) is covered thru Y.E.S. 5 years total.

I'm told that the document is generic to all products and # 6 DOES NOT apply to the Venture or the Eluder.. A revision to the terms may be in the works.

Thanks for posting the terms here.

• 2 weeks later...
As a long time Stratoliner fan, I was pleased when they finally announced a new touring bike was coming.

I demoed the Venture last week. Loved the way it rode. I like the looks and all the modern appliances.

I am a bit concerned with the heat that I felt coming from the bike. WAY more than the Stratoliner. Also concerned about the cost of tires.

When I received my quote from the dealer, it was straight up MSRP pricing. And they were only going to give me $3500 for my 09 Strat.

For those you that have bought one: Did your dealer move off of MSRP? Or did you pay the full monty?

Thanks in advance for any replies.

You probably can’t get this deal now, but I’ll share my experience anyhow. I was looking at SVTC back in July 2017 & as usual was looking for a deal. I’m in North Carolina but found a dealer in Texas on line that was offering a $2k rebate if you put the $500 down on Priority Delivery program.

I contacted my local dealer and they honored it! Then when the production delay happened, Yamaha gave me $1k for any extras I wanted because of the “inconvenience”. When it came time for financing, I went through my credit union who because of the size of the bike did it as a “New Car Loan” with rates starting at 2% for 66mos.

All I can say is shop comparatively and ASK. Worst they can say is NO.

You probably can’t get this deal now, but I’ll share my experience anyhow. I was looking at SVTC back in July 2017 & as usual was looking for a deal. I’m in North Carolina but found a dealer in Texas on line that was offering a $2k rebate if you put the $500 down on Priority Delivery program.

I contacted my local dealer and they honored it! Then when the production delay happened, Yamaha gave me $1k for any extras I wanted because of the “inconvenience”. When it came time for financing, I went through my credit union who because of the size of the bike did it as a “New Car Loan” with rates starting at 2% for 66mos.

Some areas the new Venture and Eluder arent selling as well as others... Case in point,, current offer at Babbitts in Muskegon Mi are as shown in the pics and this is with no wheelin/dealin.. Another good one would be David Allen Racing in Fremont Mi as I was just up there and know they too wheel and deal...

If it were me and I was looking at a new Venture, I would grab a hand full of cash, walk into the local dealership and begin the negotiations for out the door pricing at the stated figure on the sign and work from there, of course,, if we are talking obtaining a loan and working with a trade in - what I am saying is off the table... IMHO,, it is definitely a buyers market out there!! Even Honda dealerships with this new Wing offering are selling way below MSRP!!!

DSCN6178.JPG

DSCN6177.JPG

DSCN6176.JPG

DSCN6175.JPG

You know what, Puc... I just might be in that 'have cash, will travel' scenario. They already sold my Goldwing...so owe me my cash trade-in value for that. So...if in two weeks, I walk out of the dealership with my refunded cash, instead of my SVTC...I just might do what you are suggesting. I will have options..but will have to lay aside my rule of crate, or no gate...lol. I'd have to see if the bike has suffered any little kiddie sit(s) and their cosmetic damage, or those adults slinging their legs wantonly over the saddle, knowing they couldn't care less how they mount or dismount. They're not buying it...just kicking tires. That has been my experience with floor and showroom models for sale. I've see the like... Anyways, good to know this is an option and thanks for posting!

:think:,, forgot about your Wing trade, :think: if they already sold it and are playing games with you on your TC = that could present issues IMHO.. I am no business attorney but it seems like if they failed on their agreement and already made money on your money - you would be up for more than the trade allowance.. Fair is fair.. I would set down with the business owner and ask what a customary consignment fee is in your area.. I would then petition for proceeds from the sale of your bike discounting for a reasonable consignment number.. Technically,,, at least here in the States,, without the fulfillment of their end of the contract (you got a bill of sale didnt you?) - that Wing was not theirs to sell.

Also,, I TOTALLY get your point on the floor model damage. Matter of fact,,, if I were dropping 27 large on two wheels with a motor I would want to be in the back room snapping pics of my new baby as she was being born.. I would also want to interact with the fellow gearheads in the back room thru the process and get a good feel for how they operate before turning my back on em as they finish the job.. On the other hand though,,, around here we have what is called "the ABC Warehouse effect". This is a concept where you go into the showroom,, cash in hand,, shop the scratch and dents and discount for the same.. Those zipper scratches on tanks and foot scarf damages to saddle bags from bone hea,, I mean from accidental rubs can be worth a fair discount if your not afraid to inquire.. Not much different than buying demo bikes IMHO..

This may all sound hardcore Yam but I gotta tell ya.. I have bought/sold and participated in many many dealer auctions for this industry and what I am describing is exactly what takes place in those joints.. We would buy at sell points that deducted for every nick and scratch knowing there was a really good chance that when the inventory hit our floor - not all but the wise customer would be doing the same.

• 2 weeks later...

Coming off the MSRP may depend on how big the dealer is, do they move a lot of bikes and can qualify for volume bonuses, how long they have had the bike on the floor plan costing them money or if they are close to the close out of a sales period and they are close to making said bonus so moving the bike with a discount will make them more money via the bonus.

I bought mine from a smaller dealer so I paid MSRP but I did not feel it was over priced, I also got a good trade in number on my Harley Davidson Ultra Limited Low.

This is a new bike so I would think discounts may not be on the table with most dealers for a while with the exception of larger volume dealers.

Coming off the MSRP may depend on how big the dealer is, do they move a lot of bikes and can qualify for volume bonuses, how long they have had the bike on the floor plan costing them money or if they are close to the close out of a sales period and they are close to making said bonus so moving the bike with a discount will make them more money via the bonus.

I bought mine from a smaller dealer so I paid MSRP but I did not feel it was over priced, I also got a good trade in number on my Harley Davidson Ultra Limited Low.

This is a new bike so I would think discounts may not be on the table with most dealers for a while with the exception of larger volume dealers.

Can I ask you what were your reasons to come off your HD? Just curious. :)

Can I ask you what were your reasons to come off your HD? Just curious. :)

I just did not like the vibration of the bike, in third gear around 30 MPH it had a vibration that just drove me nuts.

I put 27,800 miles on the bike and it never let me down, it was in very good condition.

I wanted the new 2018 Honda GoldWing Tour but none of the Honda dealers wanted to take a trade on the Harley. So I stopped by the Yamaha dealer and they were more than willing to take the Harley in on trade. They sell a good number of used Harleys so they don't play the your bike is not worth anything game.

I still to this day have not gotten a price from my local Honda dealer on the 2018 GoldWing Tour, they just ignore me.

So in the end I really liked what Yamaha had done with the Star Venture Transcontinental and I can tell you this bike is head and shoulders better than my Ultra Limited Low.

The other down side to owning a Harley is your going to pour a boat load of money into it after you buy it to make it work for you. When all is said and done what ever the purchase price is of the Harley you can go ahead and add another $5,000 dollars on top of that in parts you change out to improve the bike from the seat, the engine stage one, to the suspension system, I went with JRI coil over shocks, and a new windshield. By the time I was done it was a very nice bike but it still was a Harley that vibrates.

They don't call Harley Davidson's Milwaukee Vibrators for nothing.

I just did not like the vibration of the bike, in third gear around 30 MPH it had a vibration that just drove me nuts.

I put 27,800 miles on the bike and it never let me down, it was in very good condition.

I wanted the new 2018 Honda GoldWing Tour but none of the Honda dealers wanted to take a trade on the Harley. So I stopped by the Yamaha dealer and they were more than willing to take the Harley in on trade. They sell a good number of used Harleys so they don't play the your bike is not worth anything game.

I still to this day have not gotten a price from my local Honda dealer on the 2018 GoldWing Tour, they just ignore me.

So in the end I really liked what Yamaha had done with the Star Venture Transcontinental and I can tell you this bike is head and shoulders better than my Ultra Limited Low.

The other down side to owning a Harley is your going to pour a boat load of money into it after you buy it to make it work for you. When all is said and done what ever the purchase price is of the Harley you can go ahead and add another $5,000 dollars on top of that in parts you change out to improve the bike from the seat, the engine stage one, to the suspension system, I went with JRI coil over shocks, and a new windshield. By the time I was done it was a very nice bike but it still was a Harley that vibrates.

They don't call Harley Davidson's Milwaukee Vibrators for nothing.

So, perhaps I dodged a bullet. If I just wasn't going to see my SVTC, I had already gone to an HD dealer to spec out a 2018 Road Glide Ultra. I got my HD education, too. To bring that bike,new, up to 80 percent of the standard feature set of the 2018 SVTC, it needed 'upgrades' of just under $10,000.00 dollars. I just about passed out in his sales office! I'm quite grateful, that despite all my frustrations and delays to deliver, the day is coming early next week. Much relieved for that knowledge as well. I think the Road Glide Ultra is a great looking bike...but that is a very small part of why you'd want to own any bike.

The common always repeating phrase from the HD sales rep...'"Nope, (a standard SVTC feature, insert here) doesn't come standard...BUT...you can add that!"

No thanks....I would have just riden my Kawasaki 750....

So, perhaps I dodged a bullet. If I just wasn't going to see my SVTC, I had already gone to an HD dealer to spec out a 2018 Road Glide Ultra. I got my HD education, too. To bring that bike,new, up to 80 percent of the standard feature set of the 2018 SVTC, it needed 'upgrades' of just under $10,000.00 dollars. I just about passed out in his sales office! I'm quite grateful, that despite all my frustrations and delays to deliver, the day is coming early next week. Much relieved for that knowledge as well. I think the Road Glide Ultra is a great looking bike...but that is a very small part of why you'd want to own any bike.

The common always repeating phrase from the HD sales rep...'"Nope, (a standard SVTC feature, insert here) doesn't come standard...BUT...you can add that!"

No thanks....I would have just riden my Kawasaki 750....

You are getting a better bike in the Star Venture, sitting at a stop light the handle bar of the Harleys sit there and vibrate while this Star Venture the handle bar is nice and smooth.

Don't get me wrong, I liked my Harley but I would not buy another Harley. I hear the Milwaukee Eight engine is smoother as it has counter balance shafts in the engine but still the Harley business model is to give you a very basic motorcycle for top dollar and then sell you $5,000 to $10,000 dollars in replacement parts to make the bike fit you and be comfortable. Harley makes more money on the bike from you changing things on it than it does on the bike sale alone.

I just don't understand why the Harley faithful think that having an engine that shakes the bike to death is a good thing. I want smooth and Yamaha delivers with the Star Venture.

Wow Chief, I think you got the best deal of all!

I got $1000.00 off Canadian MSRP, 10 percent (which I think will be increased to 25-50 percent at time of reckoning...I made noise about that for the delay, and they have not said outright 'no'...) off of my accessories, and the first 600 miles service at no cost, supplies and labor. I'm also getting the 2nd Proximity Key Fob as my Yamaha 'we're sorry for the outrageous delay' surprise. So, all in all, I'm pretty much over the 7 month angst flu. SVTC 'arrival day' is on final, and is approaching the runway, lol.

Tower: "SVTC mike-oscar-xray, you are CLEARED to land..."

SVTC Crew: "Cleared to land, thanks, mike-oscar-xray"....

Captain Joe :)

You are getting a better bike in the Star Venture, sitting at a stop light the handle bar of the Harleys sit there and vibrate while this Star Venture the handle bar is nice and smooth.

Don't get me wrong, I liked my Harley but I would not buy another Harley. I hear the Milwaukee Eight engine is smoother as it has counter balance shafts in the engine but still the Harley business model is to give you a very basic motorcycle for top dollar and then sell you $5,000 to $10,000 dollars in replacement parts to make the bike fit you and be comfortable. Harley makes more money on the bike from you changing things on it than it does on the bike sale alone.

I just don't understand why the Harley faithful think that having an engine that shakes the bike to death is a good thing. I want smooth and Yamaha delivers with the Star Venture.

Plus try to order SurePark on a Harley.

Plus try to order SurePark on a Harley.

SurePark is nice, I have used it a hand full of times when it would make parking easier and boy does it ever. Yamaha adding in the forward to the SurePark was brilliant.

I am sure everyone knows this is all highly subjective. Harley has actually fought long and hard at protecting it's iconic engine movements that,, along with the HD music sheet that reads "Potato, potato, potato", to many many people is part of the emotional "soul" of the bike. HD has had "B", or balance shaft, motors for many years too but a lot of the Harley guys dont have a connection with them because, as what happened with the new 113 with the additional weight on the crank from having another balance shaft added when compared to the 113 in the Strat (it got neutered), the "B" motors dont run like the harder hitting "A" motors.

As far as HD "selling you $10k in replacement parts", I am sure that there may be room for the perspective that it is the purchaser of those parts who is choosing to open his wallet and begin "buying $10k in replacement parts" as a matter of personal choice (no one is being forced to open their wallet) - this sorta flows with the concept of accepting personal responsibility = something that has somehow got lost in todays modern motorcycling philosophy IMHO. I have ridden numerous new HD's and have often wondered why people dont just buy em and ride em stock - other than being slow and wayyy under powered when compared to multi-pot engines of comparable CC's (read the Titans of Touring article though and see which V-Twin had the best performance = an apples/apples eye opener performance wise) - other than heat issues that would interfere with my passengers enjoyment while touring the warmer regions like we love to do, I have found them very rideable in stock form. There also may be a plus side to having a HUGE parts and accessory availability like HD has to some folks.. Having more choice can be a good thing IMHO and I have hunch that since Mom Yam has decided to follow the Star riders suggestions and jump into the HD circle of bike design instead of taking a real leadership role in innovation and producing a touring bike that not even the high end/world class performance BMW could compete with - they may just find that in order to stay competitive in that market they too will have to up their game in offering more in this way than they have in the past with the 1st and 2nd Gen Ventures.

Something else that seems to be frequently over looked in the new discussions about comparing the Venture with it's HD counterpart - sort of an elephant in the room so to speak. That is the old debate about buying American made products when possible.. In my region,,, good ol hard core patriotism does still have its place and, given the closeness in MSRP now and the pride in :usa:that our little area seems to display - its no wonder that the new Venture appears to be a hard sell here while the Harley shop continues to be busy... I sure hope this dont all lead back to the days when those Harley guys hung rice burners on mainstreet in Sturgis :rotf::hihi::stickpoke::crackup:.. If that happens,, I will once again be happy that none of em can run with Tweeksis!!

Edited by cowpuc

Are Harley shops really that busy these days compared to their past?

Harley is lowering production numbers and this in their 115th year where they will be releasing anniversary models. Harley keeps losing market share, people are no longer buying into make believe image that Harley has sold.

The local Harley dealer where I live in the Ft. Myers area is a virtual ghost town these days, and this is a new building they just built about 3 or 4 years ago, the owner had big plans to build a strip mall that was going to have restaurants, tattoo shop and other shops in it on the huge lot right next store to the dealer, but that ended up going into bankruptcy.

Even the Harley dealer north of me in Port Charlotte is not selling like they used to, they started out like gang busters when the new owner took over but now not so much.

Harley has a business plan build the bike to basic levels then offer a boat load of options that you can buy to make the bike better. Harley held 50% of the market at one point now they are struggling to maintain 36% of the market. The used market is flooded with Harley's which is now starting to catch up with them, that is making it a harder sell on the new bikes that will end up costing another $5,000 to $10,000 in accessories and parts to make the bike fit. Better off finding a low mileage used Harley that someone else already spent all that extra money on it and there are plenty of low mileage Harleys for sale.

Why spend $27,999 on a new Harley then have to dump in another $5,000 to $10,000 on top of that. That $27,999 dollar Harley quickly turns into a $32,999 to a $37,999 dollar bike.

Sure you can leave the Harley stock but doing that leaves you with just another Harley in a sea of Harley's with a seat that is uncomfortable, a suspension system that is totally lacking, I won't even get into all the money spent upgrading the engine/exhaust system.

Harley made a lot of money over the years with that business model, but Harley is no longer the image that everyone has to have. Everyone has a Harley, you are not an individual riding a Harley but rather just another sheep in the flock.

Edited by American

I got in to River Valley Power Sports in Red Wing, MN a few weeks ago, and finally got to see the new Venture in person. They had one Venture and one Eluder on the floor along with a new Gold Wing. I was not in the market, but kicked tires long enough that the salesman actually offered the info that they would entertain offers on the Venture. "We're not going to sell it for $18000, or something like that, but we'll listen to reasonable offers." Something to that effect is what he said. It sounded as if there was definitely some room to negotiate.

Along that line, he said every bike in the showroom except the three listed above were priced within $100 or so of cost, because bikes are not moving. Side-by-side utility vehicles and pontoons were what was going out the door. They had dozens of side-by-sides lined up.

Action Sports in Marshall, MN had 2 Ventures on the floor and both had SOLD tags on them. No idea about pricing, but they were gone.

FWIW

I wonder if American buyers are feeling jittery about the economy this year? Weird that in the U.S. lots of comments about slow selling...but in Canada...they're pretty much sold out...(SVTC).

I think right now they won't move on the MSRP ,,,, but the dealer I got mine from here never charges any extras.... They even ran my other private sale through them which gave me an extra break on sales tax on the new one.

They also gave me the use of a FJR when my SVTC was delayed 3 months,,, no charge,,,

If you want to buy one here in Ontario come/ call Brantford Motorcycle Inc.... I feel they did me good.

Brett

:thumbsup:

Are there any left? Can they say that they can get more from Yama Canada?

Just checked...like every other Ontario Yama Mama dealer...no SVTC's...and all of them have at least one Eluder still in stock. The Eluder in Ontario, didn't seem to be much of a seller so far. The SVTC was the hot product.

Nope!! This one was Silver& Red!! Great looking Red. Bout the color of that thing B2Dad Had!!! Hey Don where is Ya anyway???

GOOD QUESTION BRO!!!! DON,,, WHERE IN THE WILD WORLD OF TOURING MASTERS HAVE YA DISAPPEARED TO? Taint seen or heard from that lop eared canyon carving maniac varmint or his gorgeous Venture trike for many many moons either bro.. Thinkin maybe even the event below was the last time in my case (WOWZY a lot of very talented touring riders have vanished from the club over the last few years IMHO):