IGNORED

Why I live in Arizona - Part 2,653

videoarizona

Jumped on the scoots today for a breakfast burrito in Fountain Hills. Then took the back roads to Rio Verde and over to Lake Bartlett.

20180304_133704.jpg

20180304_133713.jpg

both scoots...We stopped at this overlook just above the lake. Liked the view better...

20180304_134010.jpg

20180304_134035.jpg

The road from Carefree to the lake is truly fun to ride. Lots of curves and beautiful scenery to boot. Wish i had the Gopro with me...the ride to the lake was nice. We had a warm day with cool wind. 70's.

Enjoy!

OH...think The Hideaway in Cave Creek was having a party. The bar/restaurant had a gazillion bikes parked all around it and the music was loud enough to be heard out on the street. Wish we could have stopped....

www.hideaway-usa.com

:biker::beer: Cheers to my ice-bound friends!

Edited by videoarizona
add and Spelling

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest divey
This is why I'm camped in Arizona ... Yuma to be specific ... heading for Quartzsite Wednesday for 2 weeks.

Warm sunny weather with low humidity!

Looks like we’ll miss you in Quartzite Rick. We’re heading through there to Phoenix in the morning to fly home. Doug

Looks like we’ll miss you in Quartzite Rick. We’re heading through there to Phoenix in the morning to fly home. Doug

Dang!

As it turns out I may not make it today either.

Took my truck in for service (2016 RAM 3500 diesel) on Monday ... oil change, filters (including fuel), serpentine belt, rotate tires, brakes front and rear, water pump recall, 2 new batteries, injector service ... and after they finished the injector service, they couldn't get it started. Was supposed to be done last night ... thing is still in the shop this morning and I have no idea when it will be ready ... might have to stay here another night!

• 2 weeks later...

Thought I would continue this thread rather than start a new one.

Today Mark on his Ultra Classic and me on the 89 VR set off on a 2 lane ride to Arrivaca from Green Valley...in search of the annual Chili eating contest. We have done this over the past few years and love tasting all the great chili from cooks around the Arrivaca area. All to benefit the fire department.

Needless to say our tummies were ready for the onslaught of heat!

We get there and tons of people and scoots but no chili tasting???? What the....???? It seems the fire department decided at the last minute not to do it but didn't change the web site. Sigh. No burning tongues today! So we walked over to the Cantina and had a sandwich and a coke. Good vittles, just not chili.

We then continued west and met up with Rt286 about 12 miles north of the US border. Took a right and headed back toward civilization. Passing Baboquivari and Kitt Peak on the left. Baboquivari is the Tohono O'Odham Indian Nation's sacred mountain. And you all know about Kitt Peak and it's famous observatories, right?

It's a nice ride from Green Valley down to Amado, then west to Arrivaca, west to rt 286...north to Rt86 then East to Valencia rd and on to I-17 for the freeway jog home. About 120 miles, give or take. The only problem now is the Arrivaca rd is horrible. Great twisties but potholes and repairs that will jar your teeth. Seriously not good anymore. Used to be a great ride but the road condition makes it no longer fun.

OH...Almost forgot. All the tune up work I did on the VR this past month took my mpg's from 35 to 39. And that includes staying on the throttle in 3rd gear enjoying the twisties and dodging the pot holes, to zooming down the freeway at 75mph against a stiff wind. I'm good with that....!

Pics....disregard the brown grass lands. Despite the rain, it hasn't been enough to green up the desert. The desert is much prettier when it's green!

The is shot from rt 286 looking west to Baboquivari. It's the rounded peak sticking up....

20180317_142102.jpg

Same place, just looking East. To give you an idea of the distances...in the background you can see a set of hills...then behind them...a mountain range. I live by the mountain range.

20180317_142126.jpg

Down the road a piece, we parked together on another break....

26198.jpg

I was to lazy to get off the scoot so you get to see me....

It was a very good day with nice warm sun and cool wind. Always a good day when you can ride.

Tomorrow we go have breakfast at Nickels Diner in Rio Rico. Love those omelets!

Then we ride up to Phoenix. I'll be leaving the VR there and bringing the RSV back on Tuesday to Green Valley.

BTW, I'm thinking of selling the 89 VR. It's getting harder for me to keep all my toys. I'm not a young pup anymore (hate to admit that). And as much as I so thoroughly love the Venture Royale...I've had it the longest and the wife mate made the comment that she is OK with me keeping the RSV. She likes the pillion seat better in the VR! It is just getting a little bit harder each year to handle the VR. Sigh...

Anyway...hope you enjoyed our day....as we did!

:beer:

:biker:

Edited by videoarizona
add

:scared: WOWZY WOW WOW WOW :scared:

Birdie,, My 1 year old grandson,, really wore me out last week (guess I am feeling some of that age thing too VAz) so I am wayyy to worn out to write a thesis about what I see in those pics so I will just repeat my a fore mentioned appeal :big-grin-emoticon: with another

:scared:WOWZY WOW WOW WOW :scared:

As I write this, I look out the window and watch the snow fall.....yet again. I have usually been able to get my bike out mid April, so I do realize that there is an end in sight to this winter, but seeing those pictures makes me very envious.

Thanks for posting those summer-like shots. I did indeed enjoy them.

Dale.

Wellllllll....(spoken like Chickenman).....

Looks like the Southeast and soon...Northeast is getting or about to get some more weather! Everytime I see that, I feel it's my duty to get out and ride....with picture or two of course!

Today, came down from Phoenix on the RSV...but took one of the back ways. This time through the town of Maricopa. Used to be a cute little town with rich history...now it's a bedroom community for Phoenix...with history if you care to look. 4 lane divided to a nice 2 lane through farms and desert. Could even smell the cows!

They even have a working Amtrak station!

20180320_105306.jpg

20180320_105358.jpg

This observation car used to be the train station for many years. Now they have a drab building....

75 degrees with cool wind. Stunning day in the farms and desert of Arizona....

This weekend will be at the lake....I'll try and remember to get some pics for ya'all....

:beer:

Beautiful pics keep them coming! Thanks for taking us along on your ride, it feels great. We have snow falling heavy rite now, so I have the best of both worlds look outside to a beautiful snow scene or check the computer for a great ride thru the desert on a sunny day with beautiful blue skies.

Thanks Craig

The weather is warming up! Everywhere...good for youse guys and gals but not so good for me. A few more months and we will be down for riding...at least during the day!

This past weekend....we finally got out in the boat again. Spent 3 days enjoying ourselves. Eating, drinking and sailing.

The lake.....

20180323_164724.jpg

The Admiral...hiding because of "hat hair"....

20180323_164719.jpg

Us.....rafting up next to friends. We spent most of the weekend with them...

highres_469202010.jpg

The wind was blowing...but we managed to get 7 boats together for a night of fun....we also BBQ'd on the beach....

20180326_101015.jpg

Obligatory "beauty shot"...

20180323_164713.jpg

Nice weekend....

Next trip will be our Cinco weekend. Don't know how many boats will make it since many of our members will be in the Bahamas chartering boats and plying the seas looking for pirates!

Time to find a position to mount those highway pegs on the RSV. Then I can take her back up to Phoenix as we have a ride to Prescott, Jerome, Pine, Payson and back coming up in the middle of April.

Till next time....:beer:

Both your bikes look great! So does your weather. I miss all that. Your pics make me homesick.

I lived just off Central Ave, in the lee of Camelback, when living in Phoenix and miss it greatly. I now live in Ontario, Canada. I am trying to convince my wife, that we need to move down to Fountains Hills, or Mesa. Even Apache Junction. Good house values, still. She's not sure of the desert clime in the summer, so I want to bring her down in June or July, and show her, that as long as you wear your water bottle and sip continuously throughout the day, you will absolutely acclimate to the dry heat, and it will become the norm. You might want to wear a sweater for when we visit family back in Ontario, in the same month, so much does your body adjust to your environment. She doesn't believe me....

BTW, do you still get better electricity rates, if your house is within the SRP area?

Happy rides.

Both your bikes look great! So does your weather. I miss all that. Your pics make me homesick.

I lived just off Central Ave, in the lee of Camelback, when living in Phoenix and miss it greatly. I now live in Ontario, Canada. I am trying to convince my wife, that we need to move down to Fountains Hills, or Mesa. Even Apache Junction. Good house values, still. She's not sure of the desert clime in the summer, so I want to bring her down in June or July, and show her, that as long as you wear your water bottle and sip continuously throughout the day, you will absolutely acclimate to the dry heat, and it will become the norm. You might want to wear a sweater for when we visit family back in Ontario, in the same month, so much does your body adjust to your environment. She doesn't believe me....

BTW, do you still get better electricity rates, if your house is within the SRP area?

Happy rides.

Here is the truth about living in ARIZONA....

1: You will get used to a. The warm weather year around and b. The ability to see for miles.

2: Living costs are lower. Yes you will pay for the electricity to cool house in summer but it is more than made up for smaller heating bills in winter. We live in an SRP area so yes you get a rebate once a year from SRP for paying the higher APS rates. Still, if your house is well insulated you can drastically lower your AC bills.

For example. My 1300 sq/ft house in Green Valley has serious attic insulation and the highest bill in summer is $115/month. Our house in Phoenix has no insulation in attic and none in walls and though it's 2x as large...the AC bill is 3 times...close to $400/month. BTW, my GV heating bill in winter averages $50/month in January for gas. PHX is close to $200.

3: Since everything is air conditioned...summer is easy. Just stay away from Phoenix. In 1970 when we had 100 days over 100 degrees, it still cooled off at night in the city after 8pm. Now...it's still 100 or more at 11pm. Seems all those parking lots and buildings have created a heat island. In Green Valley...it still cools off at night so no problem. Same with Tucson.

4: Fountain Hills is nice area. Trouble for me is some shopping requires driving into Scottsdale for Sprouts (veggies) or Walmart (24hr convenience stuff). But nice area to ride out and see the state....just hot though...

5: There is so much to do in Phoenix and the Valley of the Sun...if you get bored, it's your own fault. Restaurants of any flavor, shopping, arts, crafts, theaters, racing, sports...you name it...it's around the valley somewhere.

6: You can snow ski in winter, swim in winter...just depends upon where you go. We have everything but a beach and ocean. If California bites the big one with an earthquake and falls into the sea...we will have the ocean too!

7: Traffic is heavy in Phx....yeppers. We like Tucson better and it's a slower pace.

8: Southern Arizona (Tucson) is nicer than central (PHX area)....and northern AZ has pine trees, forests, lakes for fishing and much more.

I can go on and on...but here's some pics...

AZSNOWBOWL(1)AZSB.jpgANTELOPECNY_OSAMUH.jpg

AZSUNSET_MTCVB.jpgJETSKIING,LAKEHAVASU.jpg

FALLINAZ_AOT.jpgREDROCKCROSSING_AOT.jpg

VENTANACANYONGOLF_AOT.jpgLAKEPOWELL_LPRM.jpg

And very nice 2 lane roads to ride...many year around!

Come on down.....

Happy rides.

Hey YPC, welcome!!! There are quite a few VR members close to you in TO and surrounding areas so you will have plenty of riding buddies!! Hope to meet you either at the July Niagara Falls Rallye or the August Western NY Northeast Regional Rally in August, if not sooner!

Here is the truth about living in ARIZONA....

1: You will get used to a. The warm weather year around and b. The ability to see for miles.

2: Living costs are lower. Yes you will pay for the electricity to cool house in summer but it is more than made up for smaller heating bills in winter. We live in an SRP area so yes you get a rebate once a year from SRP for paying the higher APS rates. Still, if your house is well insulated you can drastically lower your AC bills.

For example. My 1300 sq/ft house in Green Valley has serious attic insulation and the highest bill in summer is $115/month. Our house in Phoenix has no insulation in attic and none in walls and though it's 2x as large...the AC bill is 3 times...close to $400/month. BTW, my GV heating bill in winter averages $50/month in January for gas. PHX is close to $200.

3: Since everything is air conditioned...summer is easy. Just stay away from Phoenix. In 1970 when we had 100 days over 100 degrees, it still cooled off at night in the city after 8pm. Now...it's still 100 or more at 11pm. Seems all those parking lots and buildings have created a heat island. In Green Valley...it still cools off at night so no problem. Same with Tucson.

4: Fountain Hills is nice area. Trouble for me is some shopping requires driving into Scottsdale for Sprouts (veggies) or Walmart (24hr convenience stuff). But nice area to ride out and see the state....just hot though...

5: There is so much to do in Phoenix and the Valley of the Sun...if you get bored, it's your own fault. Restaurants of any flavor, shopping, arts, crafts, theaters, racing, sports...you name it...it's around the valley somewhere.

6: You can snow ski in winter, swim in winter...just depends upon where you go. We have everything but a beach and ocean. If California bites the big one with an earthquake and falls into the sea...we will have the ocean too!

7: Traffic is heavy in Phx....yeppers. We like Tucson better and it's a slower pace.

8: Southern Arizona (Tucson) is nicer than central (PHX area)....and northern AZ has pine trees, forests, lakes for fishing and much more.

I can go on and on...but here's some pics...

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=111966http://www.venturerider.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=111967

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=111968http://www.venturerider.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=111969

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=111970http://www.venturerider.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=111971

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=111972http://www.venturerider.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=111973

And very nice 2 lane roads to ride...many year around!

Come on down.....

Thanks for all that. I let my wife read it all. I haven't lived in Phoenix, for over 35 years...so my remembrance of it, is around of that time. I wonder if living over in that subdivision behind South Mountain might do the trick for cooling off in the evening. I sure see your point though, about all the concrete expanse now being a heat sink. That does make sense. Getting back that rebate from the SRP (still happening, is a good deal!) I know it helps...and, is a good talking point, when thinking or putting the abode on the market. Tucson...hmmm...might have to check that out. Just closer to getting some good Vanilla extract, over in Sombrero Land... :)))) We always made the run down... To be able to ride your bike (in retirement) year round is a dream come true for myself...and being able to make the 5 hour run over to the Pacific coast...was always a great bet. Actually...well...I could go on...but would put you to sleep, lol.

Edited by YamahaParExcellence

Hey YPC, welcome!!! There are quite a few VR members close to you in TO and surrounding areas so you will have plenty of riding buddies!! Hope to meet you either at the July Niagara Falls Rallye or the August Western NY Northeast Regional Rally in August, if not sooner!

I'll pass those rally times to 'she-who-wears-the-pants'...lol. I just polish the bike, and chauffeur her around, lol

There is an old Greek saying that is something like this: A man...is the HEAD of the house. The woman, is the NECK of the house that sits below the HEAD. But, which ever way the NECK turns....-------->***SO DOES THE HEAD***!

The Greeks are wise....

Cheers,

Joe

This is why I'm camped in Arizona ... Yuma to be specific ... heading for Quartzsite Wednesday for 2 weeks.

Warm sunny weather with low humidity!

Didn't stop at Quartzsite...continued on to Lake Havasu...been here a week now and departing Monday. Highs in the low 30's celcuis thru this week end!! woooohoooo

Does Quartzite still offer free camping to attract Snow Flakes? They use to....

There's a lot of BLM camping all over that area ... don't know if it's free or not but I do know it's a heck of a lot cheaper than RV campgrounds. As we were passing through the area we saw hundreds of "boondockers". Thing about that is you have zero services an RV campground offers ... which is quite OK but you need to have the right equipment and preparations. We're pretty well set up for that .... just haven't done it .... other than Walmart parking lots and rest stops LOL

There's a lot of BLM camping all over that area ... don't know if it's free or not but I do know it's a heck of a lot cheaper than RV campgrounds. As we were passing through the area we saw hundreds of "boondockers". Thing about that is you have zero services an RV campground offers ... which is quite OK but you need to have the right equipment and preparations. We're pretty well set up for that .... just haven't done it .... other than Walmart parking lots and rest stops LOL

My wife and I went through there, on our way out from Phoenix, towards L.A., and then Las Vegas a few years ago. It was a great bike trip, and we spoke with a wonderful couple that had one HUGE 5th-Wheel, and they stated they actually bought it, for its large potable and grey water capacity...on-board generator, 3-way fridge, and two-way water heater. Just the kind of rig that allows you any site that can pull through. Funny, the minute I read the name of that town...their faces came up.

We love camping, and do quite a bit with our bikes. (Easily done with all the Coleman Back-Packer's gear that can be had). If we still live in Canada, by that time, we'll be one of the ' Canadian Snow Flakes' that trickles down to the Southwest, at the first one we see drift down to the ground...perhaps a month, sooner! LOL! I'd rather move back on down...but in the world of reality, I'd doubt that my wife would want to entertain that. My way for three or four months of Arizona warmth, would only be via a 5th-Wheel with the bike garage on the back. If I had that version...I'd be happy. A Ford F250 and/or F350 dually, whatever 35-40 foot (5th-Wheel/Garage/Tip-Outs galore) and a late-model year of the Yamaha SVTC...that would be MY retirement mandate! I've had a long career, and hopefully that is rewarded by a somewhat 'long' retirement in good health.

Cheers,

Joe

typo correction

• 2 weeks later...

Thought I would share some thoughts after this morning's ride on the 89 VR from Phoenix down to Green Valley...

My 4 year old Shinko 230 Tourmasters are really holding up well. Still look great and handle well. Comfortable tires, for sure.

Rotella T6 oil was just used on an oil change. I've noticed the valves are a bit noisier (5-40wt synthetic vs 20-50wt dino maybe?) and she sure shifts slicker than....(insert your own word here)

And I didn't fix that pesky leak. I thought maybe that was the case when I got to Phoenix and she marked her spot.

Pic is of sunrise off of I-10 about 1/3rd of the way down. Crisp morning with cool temps and warm sun!

20180409_060928.jpg