IGNORED

Bypass Antidive, yes.. no

Who has disconnected antidive on a 83/84?

If so... did it help braking? Did it cause noticable greater dive?

Thanks

I think bypass,g is supposed to help the brakes. But I did it when I did fork seals and swapped lower legs and discs to run R1 calipers. I also had progressive springs and this time went with heavier fork oil (20). So its hard for me to compare good stock 1984 to no antidive '84 but I can say many people run progressives and no air in the forks. I don't need air and brakes are much better, and I don't miss my antidote.. But next time I think I'd go with 15wt oil (I'm 160# and mostly ride alone).

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

Who has disconnected antidive on a 83/84?

If so... did it help braking? Did it cause noticable greater dive?

Thanks

I bypassed the anti-dives on my 90 VR because I was having charging issues. They are electric not mechanical like on the Mk I's. Went to 15 wt fork oil and can't say I noticed any difference in front end dive with 0 lbs in forks. The charging problem turned out to be a dying stator but didn't find any reason to go back to the anti-dives.

I did the block off plates from Skydoc on the anti-dives on my '84. I had already done the Progressive springs and installed the fork brace that Condor was making back then. So of course the Progressives made the biggest difference in the dive rate and after trying several several combinations of fork oil weights (between 5 and 15) along with different lengths of spacers (between 1/2" to 3/4") on the Progressives I ended up going with 15wt oil with 3/4" spacers to get that firm but not harsh ride I wanted. And that was with "0" pressure in the front forks. Just to top it off I changed out the OEM brake lines to SS.

I'm a big guy. About 265 at the time, riding solo most the time, but with fully loaded saddle bags and top trunk with a tour pack on top of the trunk also. So I did end up with a greatly reduced amount of dive and a firm feel and great control on the lever with no bottoming out on the forks.

As usual I seem to be the one that is a bit "different".

On my 88 I put in the progressive springs and and 12.5W fork oil, rode it that way for a while and it was great with about 3psi of air in the front and 3/4 inch long spacers, then I unplugged the anti dive and it only took one ride to know that I liked having the antidive working much better. I ride solo with a fair amount of junk in the trunk (Both me and the bike).

To me the bottom line is you have to try it and see what fits your riding style. You may ride differently that anyone that has posted so far.

If you haven't already, look into new springs and fork oil first. The front springs die of old age, miles mean nothing to them. The one common denominator of those that have disconnected the AD and liked it is that they all have new progressive springs.

As usual I seem to be the one that is a bit "different".

On my 88 I put in the progressive springs and and 12.5W fork oil, rode it that way for a while and it was great with about 3psi of air in the front and 3/4 inch long spacers, then I unplugged the anti dive and it only took one ride to know that I liked having the antidive working much better. I ride solo with a fair amount of junk in the trunk (Both me and the bike).

To me the bottom line is you have to try it and see what fits your riding style. You may ride differently that anyone that has posted so far.

If you haven't already, look into new springs and fork oil first. The front springs die of old age, miles mean nothing to them. The one common denominator of those that have disconnected the AD and liked it is that they all have new progressive springs.

My '84 came with progressive springs already installed (I bought a new set before even opening them up). The old ones measure same height as new ones and I'd let them go for a fair price. But also, does anyone know if the stock springs are progressively wound? Just curious bc my '79 gs1000 oem springs were progressively wound and I bought Sonic linear rate springs to replace them and if you read the Sonic website they say progressively wound springs were a fad. I figure the progressives might take some harshness out from the little bumps but be bad for antidive. And then heavier weight oil will help the antidive but make for a harsher ride.... So anti dive units, if they can be had with good front brakes (sorry, not on a Mk1) or functional electrical system, seem like the way to go (holy smokes, the engineers at Yamaha figured out something?) Does the mk1 and mk2 electrical system system keep up with the electric anti dives and some aux headlights?

And as for the hydraulic anti dives, was I right about them sapping some front brake response or stopping power

Like MANY others, I switched to the MK2 forks and ditched the anemic MK1 calipers and the power robbing hydraulic anti-dives. Myself I kind of like the anti-dive but it is all a matter of personal preference IMHO.

There WAS a reason why the brakes were changed with the MK2 version, the MK1 brakes were TERRIBLE!!!

Like MANY others, I switched to the MK2 forks and ditched the anemic MK1 calipers and the power robbing hydraulic anti-dives. Myself I kind of like the anti-dive but it is all a matter of personal preference IMHO.

There WAS a reason why the brakes were changed with the MK2 version, the MK1 brakes were TERRIBLE!!!

Did you connect the mk2 electric anti dives? I was wondering if the brake switch can ground the current (or do I need to use a relay to supply the current)

Yup! I used the brake light relay to trigger the AD solenoids relay that I installed...

PS, once the solenoids energize, the draw is a lot less than 5 amps! On the later MK2 wiring harness they added a choke coil onto the brake light circuit as some people complained of clicking noises when the brakes were applied.