IGNORED

Diet Pop??

Yammer Dan

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've cut way down on the "pop" but hard to get thru the day without one!!!
Don't beat yourself up over it. Cutting down is good, just keep in mind the goal is to be pop free. I imagine it is almost as difficult as quitting smoking. Substituting filtered water with lemon or green tea is supposed to help. For me, since caffeine doesn't bother me, I just drink black coffee au naturelle.

I was forced in to a low carb diet due to being diagnosed "pre-diabetic". Went from God knows how many carbs to no more than 135 grams a day. Combined with a 1290 calorie per day limit, I lost 56 pounds (232 to 176) and 4" in the waist in just under 6 months. I have gone from a loose comfortable XL shirt to a medium. I religiously track my food intake using the premium version of My Fitness Pal app on my android phone.

I found that I had to cut out most grains/breads/cereal and many other things that I loved to eat because of the number of carbs. It sucked at first, but the pay off was there and showed quickly. My A1C is down along with my weight, my cholesterol has dropped almost 50% in combination with the diet change and a anti-cholesterol medication.

My task now is to increase my caloric intake to just under 1700 without exceeded the 135 carbs that the nutritionist allows me. Some folks think that seeing a nutritionist is a scam to pay someone to tell you how to eat, but honestly I would have failed miserably without the guidance and information they provided along with the use of the meal tracker. I am a believer. Eating healthy isn't cheap though. I have to tell myself that my health is worth the cost of the better meal ingredients and the new wardrobe. The bonus for me is that I can honestly look at myself in the mirror and see the results, that along with the compliments from those who knew me before have made it all worth it.

I do drink some diet cola (1-2 ) a day, but have found that Walmart Clear brand carbonated and flavored waters ( half the price of a soda and 2-3 times the product) for 60 cents each. I now consume over a gallon of water daily. The flavors made water palatable for me. For some reason I hated drinking plain bottled water.

Let me know if you need any help or encouragement, I have truly been there and am doing it. I tried eating healthly, the low calorie frozen meals smaller portions etc, but I found out that while it helped, it was the carbs that were literally killing me due to weight gain.

Hang in there

Tom

I was forced in to a low carb diet due to being diagnosed "pre-diabetic". Went from God knows how many carbs to no more than 135 grams a day. Combined with a 1290 calorie per day limit, I lost 56 pounds (232 to 176) and 4" in the waist in just under 6 months. I have gone from a loose comfortable XL shirt to a medium. I religiously track my food intake using the premium version of My Fitness Pal app on my android phone.

I found that I had to cut out most grains/breads/cereal and many other things that I loved to eat because of the number of carbs. It sucked at first, but the pay off was there and showed quickly. My A1C is down along with my weight, my cholesterol has dropped almost 50% in combination with the diet change and a anti-cholesterol medication.

My task now is to increase my caloric intake to just under 1700 without exceeded the 135 carbs that the nutritionist allows me. Some folks think that seeing a nutritionist is a scam to pay someone to tell you how to eat, but honestly I would have failed miserably without the guidance and information they provided along with the use of the meal tracker. I am a believer. Eating healthy isn't cheap though. I have to tell myself that my health is worth the cost of the better meal ingredients and the new wardrobe. The bonus for me is that I can honestly look at myself in the mirror and see the results, that along with the compliments from those who knew me before have made it all worth it.

I do drink some diet cola (1-2 ) a day, but have found that Walmart Clear brand carbonated and flavored waters ( half the price of a soda and 2-3 times the product) for 60 cents each. I now consume over a gallon of water daily. The flavors made water palatable for me. For some reason I hated drinking plain bottled water.

Let me know if you need any help or encouragement, I have truly been there and am doing it. I tried eating healthly, the low calorie frozen meals smaller portions etc, but I found out that while it helped, it was the carbs that were literally killing me due to weight gain.

Hang in there

Tom

Sounds like you are doing Great. I'm still not sure of the direction I'm headed in but the threat of taking Insulin shots was made. I have managed to cut down a little. Couldn't count carbs if they lined up and marched past me!!! Guess I'm gonna have to learn. The Warden claims I eat whatever she puts in front of me!! SO IT'S ALL HER FAULT!!!:backinmyday:

Couldn't count carbs if they lined up and marched past me!!! Guess I'm gonna have to learn. The Warden claims I eat whatever she puts in front of me!! SO IT'S ALL HER FAULT!!!:backinmyday:
One of the nice things about MyFitnessPal is you can paste in the ingredients from a recipe and it will create a nutrition profile that can be saved. Makes it relatively easy to track and adjust your home made foods.

I tried the Myfitnesspal once, But I eat lunch in the cafeteria at work, which is my biggest meal of the day, and I have no clue what all is in the food, so I have no clue what to enter, but it tastes really good and there is a lot of it so I can be fairly sure it is not the most healthy meal of the day. At least it is all make from fresh ingredients and not processed stuff.

yeah, the old Dr. Atkins diet does work. Eat fat, protein, and veges with no carbs. I tried it a couple times but it's really hard to give up bread, potatoes, rice, and anything with sugar. When I was on that diet, I started looking at labels and I realized that almost everything has sugar added to it, ketchup, mayonnaise, almost every prepared food. What really irritates me is that the local Smithfield's Barbecue restaurants have loaded up their slaw with sugar. It's sickening to me.

Ice Water today and only one meal!!! But Roast Beef, Brussel Sprouts, corn, Mac& cheese, Tater Salad. And a chunk of Corn Bread!!
Jeepers, unless you had really small portions that meal is probably 3000 calories. Seems to me starving yourself and overeating all in one day is a recipe for disaster. I think you might be wise to talk to a dietitian for a few sessions.

There is a guy on you tube called Butter Bob real good info. His thing is that we should eat more fat to lose weight, sounds crazy but it works, It worked for me. Hope it works for you.
Low fat and zero fat products are junk food. Making fat a part of your diet is a good idea but the fat you eat should be selective since all fats are not created equal. The body needs some fat at the right time in order to absorb some nutrients. The bit issue with eating any fat is they have a lot of calories per gram you need to be careful.

Mac and cheese is a double whammy there Yammer, macaroni is high in starches and carbs, and cheese is also high in calories! Cut down on potatoes and eat more green veggies! Also, limit the amount of bread you eat as well! Try to avoid excessive red meats and instead eat a lot of fish and foul...

I'm changing slowly. Most of my favorites are on the "No" list of course. I've eaten so much chicken I'm getting a urge to get up and Crow in the mornings!! Hard to eat without taters of some kind and I eat very little bread!!! Dang it I want those days back when I ate everything in sight and kept a 30" waistline with that 48 inch chest!!!

I'm changing slowly. Most of my favorites are on the "No" list of course. I've eaten so much chicken I'm getting a urge to get up and Crow in the mornings!! Hard to eat without taters of some kind and I eat very little bread!!! Dang it I want those days back when I ate everything in sight and kept a 30" waistline with that 48 inch chest!!!
You and me both!! In jealous of my son for this I watch him put away some food!!!

Sent from my LG-M255 using Tapatalk

Mac and cheese is a double whammy there Yammer, macaroni is high in starches and carbs, and cheese is also high in calories! Cut down on potatoes and eat more green veggies! Also, limit the amount of bread you eat as well! Try to avoid excessive red meats and instead eat a lot of fish and foul...
That's pretty much right on. Most pasta is made from refined wheat that digests quickly and gets turned into ....sugar.... Surprise, surprise. That is why refined wheat in most breads, cereals and pasta, white rice and there are quite a few more to add to the list that are high GI foods that pre-diabetic and diabetic folks should totally stay away from.

Potatoes are often maligned but are actually quite a healthy choice. Most of the problem with potatoes is what is put on them like gobs of butter and sour cream and bacon bits and on how they are cooked, as in fried. An interesting fact I learned a while ago is that cooked potatoes that have been refrigerated turn into a resistant starch that dramatically reduces their Glycemic Index. The same thing is true of rice. This makes left-overs a more healthy choice than freshly cooked. One of the many advantages of the cook once, eat many method of food prep. Casseroles are king.

So changing what you should eat vs what you have been eating takes a little effort because there is a learning curve. Mostly for the cook so you can put the onus on the warden to prepare healthier food. It's actually not that hard to do just increase the amount of veggies and add in beans or brown rice or lentils with some meat.

Most of the fat on a chicken is in/under the skin and then, of course, the dark meat had more fat actually in it than breast meat. Pork loin is very lean. Game meat is also very lean so no Bambi should make it off your property.

That's pretty much right on. Most pasta is made from refined wheat that digests quickly and gets turned into ....sugar.... Surprise, surprise. That is why refined wheat in most breads, cereals and pasta, white rice and there are quite a few more to add to the list that are high GI foods that pre-diabetic and diabetic folks should totally stay away from.

Potatoes are often maligned but are actually quite a healthy choice. Most of the problem with potatoes is what is put on them like gobs of butter and sour cream and bacon bits and on how they are cooked, as in fried. An interesting fact I learned a while ago is that cooked potatoes that have been refrigerated turn into a resistant starch that dramatically reduces their Glycemic Index. The same thing is true of rice. This makes left-overs a more healthy choice than freshly cooked. One of the many advantages of the cook once, eat many method of food prep. Casseroles are king.

Yup! the best way to have potato is baked, naked! My wife learned a little trick though, she uses Salsa on hers to enhance the flavor! Salsa is very low calorie and diabetic safe!!!

I wasn't saying to not have potato, just cut back a tad and instead have other veggies that are good for you and taste good too...

Yup! the best way to have potato is baked, naked! My wife learned a little trick though, she uses Salsa on hers to enhance the flavor! Salsa is very low calorie and diabetic safe!!!

I wasn't saying to not have potato, just cut back a tad and instead have other veggies that are good for you and taste good too...

Good idea, a few years ago I opted for salad dressing on potatoes. There are lots of flavours so they didn't get boring. Then I looked at the label and found out what was in off the shelf salad dressing and that was it for me. No more of that junk. One more thing about potatoes, the skins have a lot of nutrition in them so scrub them bake, boil or steam them and eat the whole thing.