IGNORED

Coolant leak, and service

Desret Don

Howdy everybody, anyone know about the cylinder coolant drain plugs..I have one leaking. Is it best to replace the plug or use sealer? Also I'm thinking of taking her in for valve adjustment, carburetor sink, etc. Anyone recommend a place in Phoenix? Appreciate the help.

04 venture, 50k miles.

Weeping plugs in the cylinders is pretty common for all variants of the Royal family of bikes. Best not to use any sort of sealant.

The two options most folks use are;

1) Replace them with new, best done in concert with changing the coolant, as quite a lot of fluid comes out when you pull the plugs and the system is full.

2) Tape a dime or a penny to the inside the fake fins where the boss is that normally presses on the plug, the plugs tend to shrink over time and just need a little help finding their seat, the extra thickness of a penny or dime is just enough to seat them fully.

I used the coin shim trick on both my 98 Tour Classic and my 07 Venture for many years with no leaks.

Good luck.

Howdy everybody, anyone know about the cylinder coolant drain plugs..I have one leaking. Is it best to replace the plug or use sealer? Also I'm thinking of taking her in for valve adjustment, carburetor sink, etc. Anyone recommend a place in Phoenix? Appreciate the help.

04 venture, 50k miles.

Call the dealers in Phoenix and ask to speak to the mechanic that's been there the longest. The 2 dealers in Tucson, Only one had a mechanic who has worked on the 2nd Gen RSV's and not one knew anything about the 1st Gen Venture Royales! So needless to say, I try and do my own stuff.

I did break down when I first got the RSV and knew nothing about them and take the 2nd Gen RSV to a PowerSports dealer on Ina Road in Tucson and the older mechanic did an oil change for me as well as re-build the front forks.

Other than that, I do my own stuff...

Call the dealers in Phoenix and ask to speak to the mechanic that's been there the longest. The 2 dealers in Tucson, Only one had a mechanic who has worked on the 2nd Gen RSV's and not one knew anything about the 1st Gen Venture Royales! So needless to say, I try and do my own stuff.

I did break down when I first got the RSV and knew nothing about them and take the 2nd Gen RSV to a PowerSports dealer on Ina Road in Tucson and the older mechanic did an oil change for me as well as re-build the front forks.

Other than that, I do my own stuff...

Thanks, great info. Much appreciated

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

When you're ready to replace the plugs you will find that the threaded end of a spark plug screws right on. Makes a great handle for removal and insertion. If you fast enough you won't lose much fluid. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When you're ready to replace the plugs you will find that the threaded end of a spark plug screws right on. Makes a great handle for removal and insertion. If you fast enough you won't lose much fluid. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Got it done, easy job, thanks

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk