IGNORED

Asheville 2018

Venturous Randy

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you come we may come up with a prize for the longest trip. Maybe a special bottle of Woodie's homemade water. Would you be tenting it or what?

Randy

Hey Randy,

A good riding friend of mine has asked me to travel out to Bonneville Speed Week with him and help set a new speed record. He has a 1972 Triumph Bonneville T120 650cc that has been carefully reworked specifically to set the record. Speed trials have been cancelled due to rain for the past couple of years but he hasn't given up yet and hopefully the weather will cooperate this year. Unfortunately the dates conflict with the Asheville trip and so, unless the weather causes another cancellation, I won't be able to ride to Asheville and meet up with you guys. Wish that I could do both.

zag

• 5 weeks later...
Interesting. I need to ride over there and see what is going on and reserve D-21. I sure hope they did not reduce the sites to get more in there. Your D-22 might be where D-15 used to be. Did they tell you about the changes when you reserved your site?

Randy

@Venturous Randy,

Randy,

I just reserved D-21 for the 13th to the 19th. Did you reserve a different spot?

Venturous Randy,

Randy,

I just reserved D-21 for the 13th to the 19th. Did you reserve a different spot?

Not yet. We were going to the campground a week or so ago and was going to see what was going on as I had talked to them about our area and they said they were doing some upgrading, but ended up coming back home because I had the flu.

OK, I just got off the phone with the campground and D-21 may not be the old D-21 that we had in the past. They have been doing grading in that area to make them RV usable sites and three sites were removed, so at this time the woman on the phone does not know what the numbers are going to be for that specific area. Also, with the site renovations for an RV, the price has gone up from $31 to $50 a night. So, what I am going to do is take a ride over there and see what we got. We may all want to move down a little farther. It is not like we are going to need ten sites like we used before.

I don't think we can make it today as I am going to help Linda's grandson put brakes on his car, so as soon as I know anything, I will report back.

Randy

Not yet. We were going to the campground a week or so ago and was going to see what was going on as I had talked to them about our area and they said they were doing some upgrading, but ended up coming back home because I had the flu.

OK, I just got off the phone with the campground and D-21 may not be the old D-21 that we had in the past. They have been doing grading in that area to make them RV usable sites and three sites were removed, so at this time the woman on the phone does not know what the numbers are going to be for that specific area. Also, with the site renovations for an RV, the price has gone up from $31 to $50 a night. So, what I am going to do is take a ride over there and see what we got. We may all want to move down a little farther. It is not like we are going to need ten sites like we used before.

I don't think we can make it today as I am going to help Linda's grandson put brakes on his car, so as soon as I know anything, I will report back.

Randy

Thanks Randy, have fun with the brakes :)

The wife and I would love to join in. It has been awhile since I have made it to the Asheville Rally.

Just talked to the KOA and was going to do the tent camping thing but the rates are $50 a night for a campsite so I got one of the camping cabins for an extra $20 per night. Booked for August 15th through the 19th.

Just talked to the KOA and was going to do the tent camping thing but the rates are $50 a night for a campsite so I got one of the camping cabins for an extra $20 per night. Booked for August 15th through the 19th.

I will look forward to meeting you and your wife. :clap2:

:farmer:

Okay, took an 80 degree ride over to Asheville in the Miata with top down for lunch and to review the campground. They are making a lot of changes and it is definitely going to be different. From about D-9 down to around the pond all sites will be RV sites and will be $50 a night rather than $31 a night. They will not allow a tent on an RV site and I asked if we could put my little camper along with a tent and the lady did not think so, but we could ask the owner. If she did allow it, it would be $60 a night.

My old site, which used to be D-21 is either D-19 or D-20. D-22, which Woody usually gets is about one or two sites farther down than before. They are currently installing the water spigot hookups, but have not started on the electrical boxes yet. While there, I looked at some other areas, but I did not like anything that was as good as where we usually have stayed. There are more sites up on the hill if we don't mind giving up the pond.

I will try to attach some pictures that we took today.

The 1st pic is old D-21 and probably now D-20. The next pic is looking at where I believe D-22 will now be and the last pic is between and now D-21. I am saying I believe these are the site numbers as the folks at the campsite don't know for sure. We can make this work probably, but is going to be a lot different, The days of building a village are gone and given these will now be RV sites, they will be a lot more strict. I am also disappointed that is going to cost about $100 more than before for less desirable sites.

There is still some time left and there could more options for the Asheville area. I have read the reviews for Asheville WEST, but lots of complaints about I-40 noise.

Randy

20180414_154813.jpg

20180414_155943.jpg

20180414_154821.jpg

Edited by Venturous Randy

Randy, if you get a chance check out "G" section 39.95 tent sites, probably less traffic 1 thru 10 looks good or possibly get some back to back like 11,12,33,34. scout it out and let us know. you know what I'll need. :2cents: