IGNORED

A Few Other Issues to Sort Out

malenurse13

Here's something that I can't figure out about my new (to me) Venture...

The horn button works intermittently, the start button works intermittently. The cruise control almost NEVER lets me set it after turning the main switch on. The headlights go from bright, to dim, back to bright again. The tail light does the same. All regardless of RPM's.

I find it hard to believe that EVERY one of these issues are separate and unrelated.

I definitely plan on cleaning every connector I can get my hands on.

But what would make all the switches on the handlebars so sketchy?

And what would cause the power to the lights fluctuate so much??

If y'all could give me a list of things to check, I would love to try to trouble-shoot some, if not all, of these issues.

Thank you!

The horn button works intermittently, the start button works intermittently. The cruise control almost NEVER lets me set it after turning the main switch on. The headlights go from bright, to dim, back to bright again. The tail light does the same. All regardless of RPM's.

I find it hard to believe that EVERY one of these issues are separate and unrelated.

If y'all could give me a list of things to check, I would love to try to trouble-shoot some, if not all, of these issues.

Thank you!

Check grounds

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Thank you!

My suggestion would be taking the seat off, gas tank and front part of front fairing. First check battery connections and make sure they are solid. Work your way to the front of the bike and check every ground connection you can find and make sure there is no paint under them and tighten up good. Clean all connectors / plugs. Check if the previous owner has added any extra electrical accessories and go through all connections he has done. Solder and shrink tube all added wires if not done and get rid off any thieves.

Regarding the headlight going dim /bright, then I had that issue on my 98 Tour Classic. Turned out it was the bulb - see old thread: http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?74172-Flickering-headlights

I would also do ther Ignition By Pass - there are detailed instructions in the technical library http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?75398-By-passing-the-Ignition-switch.

Wish you luck.

That many different thing having the same issue is almost always a bad ground. Clean all of the grounds even if they look good. Not just the terminal either, look at the crimp, I have see corrosion where the wire goes into the terminal. The only way to fix that is a new terminal.

• 3 weeks later...

On my way home last night I noticed my 2 running lights wouldn't turn on at all. The red switch in the front fairing on the left side wouldn't light up when I turned it on. So I'm assuming there's no power to the switch at all. I'll be pulling off the gas tank this weekend to clean all connectors and check all the grounds. But what should I take apart and look for to fix the running lights? Could it be a fuse??

running lights.jpg

Edited by malenurse13

On my way home last night I noticed my 2 running lights wouldn't turn on at all. The red switch in the front fairing on the left side wouldn't light up when I turned it on. So I'm assuming there's no power to the switch at all. I'll be pulling off the gas tank this weekend to clean all connectors and check all the grounds. But what should I take apart and look for to fix the running lights? Could it be a fuse??

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=111748

Mine had a glass fuse in line to the switch. It's inside the faring. I had to take my faring apart to find it. I rewired a mini fuse in and lengthened the wire since I can get to it easier.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Yes, it is unfortunately very common for the fuse for the driving lights to be inside the fairing, and one of the most common reasons for that fuse popping is due to chaffing of the power line where it goes into the light bar! Splitting the fairing is a relatively easy job once you learn how to do it, it should take 10 minutes give or take. One thing you may want to do is to fabricate an extension for your light bar so it sticks out farther and you won't have to unbolt it every time you split your fairing...

Mine had a glass fuse in line to the switch. It's inside the faring. I had to take my faring apart to find it. I rewired a mini fuse in and lengthened the wire since I can get to it easier.

That's what I did... works great now! Thanks!