IGNORED

Installing R1/R6 Front Brake Calipers

I think it is a straight forward swap except the brake line has to be rotated to hook up to the R1 caliper. I bought one and it appears to me that the pad surface is the same as Mark II calipers although the R1 has pistons that are different diameters within the caliper. I think I'm going to stick with the original calipers since they have 4 pistons. If you have a Mark I, you should probable change to Mark II forks since the Mark Is have 2 piston calipers as I understand. I hope someone corrects me if I'm wrong.

I slapped R6 calipers on my 89 MKII. They bolted right up but the OEM brake lines were at an odd angle. I could force the lines to bolt up but IIRC there was an unnatural twist and bend so I used the aftermarket SS lines that came on the calipers I got off ebay. I also used a Vmax splitter to remove the linked brakes at the same time.

I took the liberty of cleaning out the calipers and tossing on some new EBC HH pads at the same time. She stops like she means it now. Well worth it. To swap the calipers directly you may find the OEM hose angle is pretty awkward. I wasn't comfortable with it but YMMV.

I did the complete swap from an 07 Roadstar xv1700. 4 piston calipers, brake lines, union, lever and correct 14mm master cylinder were a direct swap on my 99 rsv. They are also chrome with no odd looking anodized colors.

Scored a deal on ebay. Couldn't have been easier.

If you switch calipers realize that you may also have to switch master cylinders.

Overall it made a huge difference on my bike.

I did the complete swap from an 07 Roadstar xv1700. 4 piston calipers, brake lines, union, lever and correct 14mm master cylinder were a direct swap on my 99 rsv. They are also chrome with no odd looking anodized colors.

Scored a deal on ebay. Couldn't have been easier.

If you switch calipers realize that you may also have to switch master cylinders.

I did my swap from an '02 RoadStar Warrior. The 1st Gen Warrior ('02-06) and 2nd Gen Roadstar ('08? and up) have silver/chrome 4-piston calipers that are a direct swap AND have the matching 14mm Master. I've ridden a Roadstar that kept the 5/8" master and installed the later 4-piston and the lever did not have as much travel & "feel" as my RSV with the 4-piston and 14mm.

I agree, I went from Fist Full of Brakes to Two-Finger braking. Probably the best single upgrade I've done to the bike. I also happened to come across a Stratoliner front wheel with floating rotors and did the HH brake pads when I did the caliper swap.

Interesting, 18" wheel vs. 16" . Did you drop the forks any to compensate? Does the rear wheel switch over also.

Needing tires on mine over christmas I noticed that sometimes you can find a wheel with a good tire on ebay for the price of just a new tire.

Going to read on this, the rear strat wheel is taller too, might be better tire choices in those sizes.

Here's a photo of the calipers (that were painted Hurst Old's gold by the previous owner and I liked the look) and the Stratoliner front wheel and rotors. The biggest downside to the 18" front wheel is tire-life on a heavy bike. I did my research and decided to use an 18" tire designed for rear fitment on older UJM (CB750, KZ, etc) bikes. I get 10k miles out of a tire and they handle good...

2015-05-05 20.03.08.jpg