IGNORED

How to add relay to Heated grips ????

StarFan

Greetings fellow members.

Am rebuilding a MM 2000 Venture here in Iceland. It had a very crappy wiring to all the added goodies and I am in the process of rewiring most of it and adding Ignition bypass and so forth. So far I have fixed and soldered everything except for the Heated Grips. The bike has heated Grips but no relay for them. I would be much more comfortable with having a relay but am kind of lost in how to hook it up. Here below is a wiring diagram from the producer of the grips but without the relay that I have added to the diagram. Could someone enlighten me on how to hook this up with a relay ? It would be very much appreciated if someone could show a wiring diagram with the relay added.

Heated Grips w-Relay.png

Heated grips with relay.pdf

Thanks onb forehand,

Jonas aka StarFan.

The Relay

30 to battery, add a fuse

87 to power your heated grips

85 ground

86 12v power from a source that is only on when the ignition is on like parking lights

Thanks so much Brian.

Just to be sure, here is a diagram based on your info - Would this be the correct way, and will this work in that way that the grips cannot turn on unless the ignition is on - meaning that there is no danger of draining battery if Grip Switch is on and bike parked ? Was also wondering if it matters if the 87 goes on Low or High side of the restrictor ??

Heated Grips Relay Wiring.jpg

Cap-M.jpg

30 to the positive of the battery with a fuse

85 to ground (lets just say back to the neg. of the battery)

86 to the power from your parking light or other power that is only on with the key

87 is the power that goes through the relay when energized and will power your grips

there is a ground for your switch (probably has a light in it) and your grips have a ground for a total of 3 grounds.

If you send 85 to the neg of the battery for your ground you can tap the other two grounds into that. You can also attach those wires to the frame for ground if you have a good spot where they contact the metal of the frame with no paint.

Thank you Brian.

Your help has set me all clear :) I will connect this tomorrow and then I will finally be all finished with all the crappy wiring on this bike. Not much of an electric guy even though I usually get through it - but not this one - Had no idea how to do this.

Again thank you so much for the help/info.

Be safe, Jonas aka StarFan

The resistor is probably built into the grip harness. I think it is what makes low vs high. The grips draw the same power weather on high or low.

Warm and safe makes better controllers that actually use less power when the grips are on low. Might be a could idea on our bikes since there isn't much extra to play with.

So can someone tell me what size of resistor? And why? I would think the grips would have some kind of controller to limit the power.

The grips do not come with a variable heat controller but Hot Grips mfg. do offer a variable heat controller as an option - Mine are without the controller and have a toggle switch with three options:

1. Low Heat

2. OFF

3. High Heat

The resistor is a 2,4 OHM / 25W.

Now lets see if those babies will heat up and if the Low and High settings are working after I finish installing today - I´ll keep you posted :)

Be safe,

Jonas aka StarFan

I guess it depends on what just what you were trying to accomplish with the relay.

If you just want it so that the grip heat power is not going thru the ignition switch, this will accomplish that task.

If you were wanting to not have the big power going thru the hi, lo, off switch then you would need 2 relays to do that.

The only thing I would do different is to have the fuse between the relay and the battery instead of after the relay. With the fuse after the relay, you have unprotected components and wires. Fuse should always be the first thing the power goes through.

I think the biggest thing it accomplishes is making sure the grips are off when the ignition is off so there is less chance of coming back to a bike with a dead battery. Turning off your grips is easy to forget. :)

And yes as I wrote but didn't draw I would have fuse between relay and battery. I'm assuming the fuse in the drawing is part of the hot grips harness.

The only thing I would do different is to have the fuse between the relay and the battery instead of after the relay. With the fuse after the relay, you have unprotected components and wires. Fuse should always be the first thing the power goes through.

Therre is also a fuse between the battery and the realy as my PDF. drawing shows. My main interest was to prevent the battery from going dead if grips were accidentally left on after turning off the ignition.